Too Many Instruments

ukulelekarcsi

Playing different musical instruments actually helps - there is a transfer between them, even if one's in the percussion section and the other one a woodwind instrument.

Ukuleles are the most versatile, the swiss army knife of the band: you can drive down a rhythm with it, accompany a song, fill in riffs, play intricate fingerstyle arrangements, harmonize with chords... the only backdraw is most ukes arern't very strong in the acoustic volume departement and can easily be drowned out in a band setting.

deadpool

I can't believe this thread. I regret I will never get back the time in my life I spent reading it. I hope my life gets to the point that I can worry about such things.
As the OP I agree with this. I was hoping to get only a few replies as to why I should continue to play ukulele vs mandolin, dobro, etc. But it seems the thread has taken on a life of it's own with its various tangents and all.

Graham Greenbag

Yes, the thread did go off at a tangent and that wasn’t particularly helpful. People on this forum might well not have experience of the instruments you mention and therefore aren’t in a position to usefully comment on what you should keep and what you should drop. The point was made by me and others that a re-entrant Soprano wasn’t on your list of players and that perhaps it should be.

Eliminate all of them and get a high G soprano ukulele. Problem solved. Why? The soprano ukulele bringeth joy
😀

But seriously the choice is yours. People have different tastes. Go with what you like best. Good luck

^ This is, I think, as good a guide as any and I recommend it to you.

Edit. As an additional comment why not ask yourself what each instrument brings to your table and then identify both duplication between them and (musical) gaps in what you’re looking for from your instruments. You could then go on to identify what’s essential to you and what you can happily manage without, so methods of thinning your herd.

In so far as you can do so enjoy what you play and play what you enjoy.

Last edited:

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
The thing about the ukulele universe is that there is room for all sizes, designs, sounds and music choices. There is no right or wrong. Only making music.

We all have our preferences. We all gravitate towards certain music and styles.

Play what you enjoy. Leave the pedantic categorizations and restrictions to others, and play what brings happiness to you. Period.

Voran

I would keep them, personally. I go through phases a lot. Depending on what type of music I'm writing at the time, I can end up randomly using anything from my synthesizer to amped guitar to a marimba. It would suck if you gave an instrument away or sold it, and then thought up a song that demanded the use of it.