Too Many Instruments

deadpool

Reaction score
Currently I play Guitar, Mandolin, Dobro (square neck), Ukulele (all low G Tenor), and Anglo Concertina-none well. I've played guitar for 20+ years so it is not on the block, so to speak. Of the others, I need to eliminate at least one. I don't have a special attachment to any of them. I just don't have time to devote to them all. As this is an ukulele site, please tell me why ukulele should be in the "keep playing it" category.

Thanks a lot!

I only play guitar and ukulele, though I play with others and am always tempted to acquire fiddle, banjo, mandolin, resonator slide guitar, or keyboard. But I am so busy with learning new songs for guitar and uke that I know that any new instrument would just detract me from these and it would counter my desire to become a better musician. Some people have the time and talent to be multi instrumentalist but I don't. I like the uke and guitar combo because they complement each other well. And even just with those two I have variety with 6 and 12 string guitars and ukes with different string and size configurations as well. Portability of skill between makes it possible to give each a good share of attention.

It really depends on what music you play. I play the uke, bass and dabble with some keys. I don't find them competing for my attention. I still learn new songs and incorporate the other instruments into whatever I am learning at the moment. (Some songs work better than others)

Not sure if you can do that with what you're working with...

I forgot to mention that I am compiling a list of plus/minus for each of those instruments. I will use info provided here to help with it. I like all kinds of music. I'm the least proficient on the Dobro, although I have everything memorized on it. All bluegrass on it which is not my favorite genre. On uke I'm mainly working with chord melody and have nothing memorized. I also do some strumming and singing (in plrivate-out of tune...).

You can get rid of the Uke and/or the Dobro. I will be happy to accept either as a gift from you for the advice...although I would prefer the dobro. :)
Well then I'll step up and accept the mandolin.

I've found that the uke is the easiest to play with hand injuries and arthritis. I love my mandolin, banjo and guitar, but it's increasingly difficult to play them for any length of time. The short scale and nylon strings make for more comfort and less pain.

If it does not bring you joy sell them all..
That is a nice spread of instruments. I agree with Kernaltime if any of them don't bring you joy, then maybe its time to part ways. Doesn't seem like you have any redundancy of instruments. That might be a place to start.

I have quite a few ukes, some keys, and a guitar but I would part ways with my guitar before my ukes because I don't really play it at all.

IMO, the only instruments that should fall into your "keep playing it" collection are the ones that you enjoy playing. It sounds like guitar is the only one that fits that description? If this is a hobby, then it should be fun, IMO.

Other than that criteria, it would probably depend on your goals for playing any of those instruments. How do they fit into your goals? What made you decide to give it a try? Why isn't it something you've got an attachment to, other than guitar? Do you just need to get more proficient with the other instruments to be able to enjoy them, or are they really not a good fit for you?

Only you can answer those questions.

IA with TaoCat that ukulele might be an instrument of choice if you have hand injuries or arthritis, so even if ukulele isn't your choice right now, you might want to hang on to one in case that becomes an issue for you at some point in the future, (assuming it's not now.)

As someone once said to me, it's about the music, not about the instrument. So play whatever lets you enjoy playing music.

Thanks so much for all the replies. At this time, I don't plan on any kind of liquidation plan (sorry Mike and Besely). I enjoy playing all of the various instruments, just don't have enough time to do justice to any of them. I have put the dobros on hiatus until further notice. I've put two of the three ukes into purgatory and will play the Pono every now and then.

Always subject to change, but for now I'll be concentrating on the guitar, mandolin and concertina.

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:
I got into playing many different types of stringed instruments. I got to the point where I wanted to simply, so I only kept those that brought me the most joy. Only you can make that determination.

I've been ignoring my Anglo for better than 20 years. I occasionally pick it up thinking it will no longer work and I could just toss it, but it keeps on ticking. What, and how much for yours? Your general location is important as it may lead to a sale.

<edit> ... a Kensington is way outta my league.

Last edited:
I've been ignoring my Anglo for better than 20 years. I occasionally pick it up thinking it will no longer work and I could just toss it, but it keeps on ticking. What, and how much for yours? Your general location is important as it may lead to a sale.

So, are you proposing I buy yours or you want to buy mine? At this point mine is not on the market. It is a Kensington. Value approximates $3000. I'm in Oregon

I play guitar and ukulele. I've been very tempted to get a concertina. I've also been tempted to learn to fiddle. I have my grandfather's fiddle that he brought from France after the first world war. But as it is I play guitar mostof the time, uke once in a while. I do some gigs with a uke group and that keeps my hand in it. I can't imagine that I would have the time to go beyond th at.

Eliminate all of them and get a high G soprano ukulele. Problem solved. Why? The soprano ukulele bringeth joy 😀
But seriously the choice is yours. People have different tastes. Go with what you like best. Good luck

Currently I play Guitar, Mandolin, Dobro (square neck), Ukulele (all low G Tenor), and Anglo Concertina-none well. I've played guitar for 20+ years so it is not on the block, so to speak. Of the others, I need to eliminate at least one. I don't have a special attachment to any of them. I just don't have time to devote to them all. As this is an ukulele site, please tell me why ukulele should be in the "keep playing it" category.

Thanks a lot!
Unless you need to eliminate one of your instruments for financial reasons, I recommend you keep them all. I’ve owned quite a few instruments over the years, and continue to play some of them on either a regular basis (celtic harp, ukulele) or irregular basis (piano, hammered dulcimer and plucked psaltery). But I never stopped wishing I had kept the ones that got away (guitar, bowed psaltery, and multiple other harps). No, there would never be enough time (or the desire) to play each of them every day (I generally tend to focus on two instruments at a time), but variety is the spice of life. Whenever I find myself in the mood to play something different, I’m always grateful to still have so many options.

Eliminate all of them and get a high G soprano ukulele. Problem solved. Why? The soprano ukulele bringeth joy 😀
But seriously the choice is yours. People have different tastes. Go with what you like best. Good luck
You're right! No high G soprano in the lot!

Unless you need to eliminate one of your instruments for financial reasons, I recommend you keep them all. I’ve owned quite a few instruments over the years, and continue to play some of them on either a regular basis (celtic harp, ukulele) or irregular basis (piano, hammered dulcimer and plucked psaltery). But I never stopped wishing I had kept the ones that got away (guitar, bowed psaltery, and multiple other harps). No, there would never be enough time (or the desire) to play each of them every day (I generally tend to focus on two instruments at a time), but variety is the spice of life. Whenever I find myself in the mood to play something different, I’m always grateful to still have so many options.
I agree with Jan. Keep them! I have given away around 15 ukes but I don't miss them cause I have better ones. I still have 15. lol Though, I can't play them all. I only gave away ones that I knew I would never want to use again. I also have 2 melodicas, 1 Rickenbacker guitar, a Roland digital piano and a Casio synth. I would never give them up. Though, I had two other melodicas that I gave away. I also have a Hohner gold Chromatica and a cheapo Hohner C harmonica in green so I can play the Beatles "Love me Do." haha

However back on topic, I recycled (threw into the bin) half of my sheet music collection of sheets, books, etc... about 7 years ago and I regret every minute of it. I've had to buy back some books that were luckily still available but I lost some that couldn't be found online (i.e. Abebooks, thriftbooks, betterworldbooks, ebay, etc). Never get rid of stuff on a whim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom