Too many questions

BTW - plenty, including myself, have offered sympathy, helpful comments and suggestions to Ken.
he continues to ignore them.

Well, I'd just like to add- that the people in this world who are capable of producing instruments- or anything, for that matter- of the quality that Ken and a few others here produce- that produce the demand and respect that these individuals produce- are special people indeed- and few and far between. They are truly a gift to the world. Thanks to you Ken- and others here who share your gifts with those fortunate enough to own them.
I currently work for Wayfair- in front line customer service- and the comments here regarding boorish people are- unfortunately- all too true.
I read yesterday of a New Zealand gent who produced- from scratch- world championship grand prix motorcycles- John Britten... He also built a gorgeous home from scratch- John didn't just build his own house, he built a lathe from old bikes to turn marble and make the columns and when his wife wasn't happy with any of the fixture choices, he milled their own.
He did all this- before unfortunately passing away at the age of 45 from skin cancer (of which I am a fortunate survivor of malignent melanoma).
a great video to watch here:

You can avoid all this by picking one "store" you like, respect and trust to sell your product. Luis of LFDM has an exclusive deal with Hawaii Music Supply. He builds what he wants to sends those to them and they list and sell them. Like you he was tired of all the questions and head aches of dealing directly with customers. He dictated the price he wants from them, they marked it up and sell it to the customer.

His ukuleles do not last long on their site. Yours would sell quickly as well through whatever store they are placed in. Good luck Ken, one of my good friends and playing partners has one of your instruments, it is beyond excellent and he loves it.

Why oh why?
Now you know why I only post occasionally now. A simple post in support of someone who has done so much for this community, who is transparent and unlike me, not in the least bit controversial, in fact, who is the exact opposite gets the 'you're a whiner' treatment. Grow up and act like an adult. It's legitimate to point out that there are some people out there who want a pound of flesh and some of the bone. It is also the case, that Ken has many, many times said he doesn't bespoke or do commissions. If you want that, you go to another luthier. And finally, one very overlooked and not yet mentioned point. Ken's ukulele are probably the best value for money 'homage' to the Martin soprano out there. He thankfully put me out of business :) yep, I was glad when he dominated this market because a full-time builder just cannot make money building sopranos - that is if you charge relative to the costs involved. (currently about $75 an hour) And if you don't believe me, look at why Kenny Hill stopped using the ukulele as 'apprentice' pieces in the 90's and early 21st century.

You can avoid all this by picking one "store" you like, respect and trust to sell your product. Luis of LFDM has an exclusive deal with Hawaii Music Supply. He builds what he wants to sends those to them and they list and sell them. Like you he was tired of all the questions and head aches of dealing directly with customers. He dictated the price he wants from them, they marked it up and sell it to the customer.

His ukuleles do not last long on their site. Yours would sell quickly as well through whatever store they are placed in. Good luck Ken, one of my good friends and playing partners has one of your instruments, it is beyond excellent and he loves it.
On that note Gryphon Strings is owned by Richard, author of many books on Martin guitars, and Frank, a reputed luthier for repairs and a teacher of the craft and has folks such a Michael Simmons who has covered the stringed instrument world for many journals (he is mentioned multiple times in the latest book from Jim Beloff). They would love to carry your stuff and they hold your ukes in the highest regards.

People are people. For every Mother Theresa you'll find a dozen a***holes.

Someone wants to buy a ukulele. They see a Martin in the shop and love it but can't afford it. They go online and see something pretty much the same at a lower price. Jackpot!! They buy it. Then they wait and, inside their head, the Style 0 lookalike they purchased becomes a Style 1. Then they wait some more and it becomes a Style 2. By the time it arrives they imagine they're getting a vintage Style 5K. When they see it isn't, they are disappointed. Who do they blame? Well, it can't be their fault so it must be someone else's fault. Who else is there to blame? The vendor.

People are people. You aren't going to change that. Life would be so much better if everyone was like me.
Miguel

Why oh why?
Now you know why I only post occasionally now. A simple post in support of someone who has done so much for this community, who is transparent and unlike me, not in the least bit controversial, in fact, who is the exact opposite gets the 'you're a whiner' treatment. Grow up and act like an adult. It's legitimate to point out that there are some people out there who want a pound of flesh and some of the bone. It is also the case, that Ken has many, many times said he doesn't bespoke or do commissions. If you want that, you go to another luthier. And finally, one very overlooked and not yet mentioned point. Ken's ukulele are probably the best value for money 'homage' to the Martin soprano out there. He thankfully put me out of business :) yep, I was glad when he dominated this market because a full-time builder just cannot make money building sopranos - that is if you charge relative to the costs involved. (currently about $75 an hour) And if you don't believe me, look at why Kenny Hill stopped using the ukulele as 'apprentice' pieces in the 90's and early 21st century.
there is nothing you've written here i disagree with.
i also wrote a post w/ nothing but support and thanks to Ken earlier in the thread.

Let it go mountain goat.
This is the "Ukulele Building / Luthier's Lounge". If they want to complain amongst themselves here then they will complain amongst themselves.
This isn't the Uke Talk sub forum.
It's a cranky old guy thing. You should know.

Last edited:
I think there is a beauty to the fact that Ken produces an exact copy of the most legendary mass-produced ukulele in the world. Oh sure, you can have any ukulele you want, as long as it's a plain mahogany style 0. Like Ford's Model T.

I sell stuff on eBay too, and it’s a pain. People ask and ask and ask again with questions that were addressed in the listing in clear and simple English. I shrug it off because if you sell on eBay you’re dealing with the public and the public is an ass (as somebody famous once said).

If you don’t enjoy this part of the ukulele experience, don’t do it. Make your gorgeous ukes, give them to a dealer like SUS or Gryphon or whoever, put your feet up and have a brew.

The bottom line is- while many people would love for Ken to give them his uke's to sell- the bottom line is that Ken is going to get the very best price possible on eBay due to A) the largest possible marketplace- and B) the bidding process ensures the very best possible price for each and every uke!
How he deals with the side issues of his fame is totally up to him!

The bottom line is- while many people would love for Ken to give them his uke's to sell- the bottom line is that Ken is going to get the very best price possible on eBay due to A) the largest possible marketplace- and B) the bidding process ensures the very best possible price for each and every uke!
I don’t think that is true… I think eBay prices have been lower than comparable retail ukes that compete on sound and build. I would buy a Ken Timms over a Kamaka or Koaloha or Kanilea… us built Martin sopranos retail for a lot more. If anything the BIN prices and limited audience of eBay are a boon for all those who bought a Ken Timms. They got a great deal.
General rule of thumb is that hand built quality ukes retail for a bit more than comparable high end branded ukes.

1) Ken is a grown ass adult--he can do whatever he wishes.
2) If Ken wants to use Ebay...see above
3) If Ken chooses to not respond to people, they will feel discounted and naturally so (and that has nothing to do with demandingness, it is a basic thing when one chooses such a platform. Questions and engagement with a luthier is NOT entitlement).
4) If Ken does not give a hoot about others feelings regarding his not responding, then, well, he will have some hurt feelings, and that might be fine as well. See above--he can do what he wishes.
5) Those who view engagement with the luthier as an essential part of the experience will choose someone else (as I have for my sopranos, as I would, god forbid, want something horribly entitled like asking for lower action and a plastic pick guard, the nerve!!, and thanks to all the luthiers who have given in to my childish demands!)
I say this last part tongue in cheek, yes, Ken has the right to do was he wishes, but having a pat, pre written comment or two that he could cut and past into questions about why he does not engage clients or prospective clients might be helpful to him and stopping the questions, and help others to not feel discounted. I get about ten requests a day for things I don't want to do, and have prewritten comments that I cut and paste quickly. That would probably take a total 10 seconds per question, and would stop said questions quickly. All of this is IMHO.

I've been in this game since 1994. It's not easy nor is it financially secure or rewarding. What is unique about Ken's work is the way he has deconstructed a classic and discovered a way to reconstitute it. I don't know of any maker who uses the complex boat curve that Martin adopted for the back and I marvel every time I set up my kerfing machine which Ken built for me and cut some bespoke-sized kerfed linings. I don't really care what you say about me - this forum goes pretty much unmoderated anyway. However, it is something else to have a go at such a nice bloke as Ken. Me I deserve it. He doesn't.

I heard that Ken is now traveling with an entourage and insists only on using the name Ken, much like Beyonce or Madonna.

I've been in this game since 1994. It's not easy nor is it financially secure or rewarding. What is unique about Ken's work is the way he has deconstructed a classic and discovered a way to reconstitute it. I don't know of any maker who uses the complex boat curve that Martin adopted for the back and I marvel every time I set up my kerfing machine which Ken built for me and cut some bespoke-sized kerfed linings. I don't really care what you say about me - this forum goes pretty much unmoderated anyway. However, it is something else to have a go at such a nice bloke as Ken. Me I deserve it. He doesn't.
Nobody is having a go at him-- I think everyone agrees he is an amazing Luthier, a great contributor to the forum, and by all accounts a super guy. People have given some feedback about his business practices, which he can take or ignore--such is the nature of an internet forum. You post, you get feedback!. You, however, seem to get super upset anytime anyone gives any feedback to you (even when you ask for it) or one of your friends--perhaps relaxing and allowing for diversity of opinion might be in order? Feedback does not equal insult.

I heard that Ken is now traveling with an entourage and insists only on using the name Ken, much like Beyonce or Madonna.
Nah… he is Brit and is now Sir
Ken Timms the first who will have many that follow his footpath for making amazing sopranos to claim the title of Ken Timms the second 🤙

Last edited:
Much of this is not feedback and in former days, an active moderator would have ended this thread. Ken's method of working has been known from day 1 and it gets a bit wearing when you have to continuously field the same stuff year in and year out.

It seems to me that the respondents here are taking this matter far more seriously than Ken does. He merely made a grumbling comment, then got back to work making marvellous ukuleles. I'll bet Leonardo Da Vinci made the occasional grumpy remark too.

Enough already!

Top Bottom