Top popped off my kamaka!

Wow, I'm sorry that this happened to your poor little uke....I've learned a lot from this thread, however, and I'm sure Kamaka will make it good as new, if not better! keep us posted....

It's been awhile I am curious as to what you did with your kamaka? I also bought an older gold label kamaka, except mine was in bad shape to start with multiple small cracks in the top along with some warping, some cracks in the seams and a bridge that had been reglued multiple times, The bridge pooped back off after about 6 months and I sanded it down to match the contours of the top and reglued, but intonation is off and unfortunately the bridge seems pretty securely on at the present time, Not sure what to do I don't have a lot of money into it and imagine repairs would be greater than my initial cost.

I restored a basket case gold label soprano that looked just like this one. I cleaned the old glue off and set the top on with titebond and the appropriate clamps. The fretboard issue was the same as well, but the fret and piece went back together easily. Those Gold label sopranos are among the simplest and easiest instruments I have ever worked on. Just not much to them. The "after" photo is attached.

image.jpg

y
I restored a basket case gold label soprano that looked just like this one. I cleaned the old glue off and set the top on with titebond and the appropriate clamps. The fretboard issue was the same as well, but the fret and piece went back together easily. Those Gold label sopranos are among the simplest and easiest instruments I have ever worked on. Just not much to them. The "after" photo is attached.

View attachment 78183
Just curious about how you attached the strings at the bridge...looks like you left quite a bit of string below the knot...is that to prevent slippage through the slot bridge?

y
Just curious about how you attached the strings at the bridge...looks like you left quite a bit of string below the knot...is that to prevent slippage through the slot bridge?

Nope. I just got excited and snapped the shot before I nipped the wiskers off. I didn't even notice it at the time. This was also my first Kamaka. It was so simple inside I wasn't expecting much in the sound department. Boy was I mistaken!

View attachment 78183
Here's the "before" picture
image.jpg

I've done a few Kamakas as well, including one that had both the front and back popped off. It's not uncommon, I think some days the batch of glue they were using was extremely questionable!!

View attachment 78183

That looks like one of the KEiki models. Does it have a dowel in the neck block?

Good eye, I was wondering myself. Yes, it has a dowel in the neck block, but the uke is all koa; I THOUGHT all of the Keiki models were mahogany. Can anyone enlighten? In addition, this one has the KK logo, which is original, not the

K
Keiki

logo I have seen on the Keiki models.

Last edited:
Top Bottom