Tortise binding

perep

Reaction score
Where can I get the tortoise binding without paying very high shipping to Oregon, seems like it is a fire hazard to ship. HELP?

Hana Lima 'Ia has faux tortoise binding and reasonable shipping rates too seeing as it's coming from Hawaii. They may not be made from the same hazardous material as some of the others, don't know, but they don't ding you for "hazardous" shipping.

After looking, the stuff is polyethylene. Here's what they say about it.

"The plastic (polythylene) binding material is flexible, no bending needed! Each set includes two pieces, enough material to bind a Baritone uke."

http://hanalimastore.com/products/binding-set-tortoise-shell

I've been using it often and find it easy to deal with and it looks great. I use CA glue with the stuff

mandolele.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use faux tortoise any more but here's a tip to keep in mind. The binding is translucent, and in the lighter areas it is almost transparent. Keep this in mind when you are binding so that it doesn't show any kerfing gaps or joinery underneath it.

Hana Lima 'Ia has faux tortoise binding and reasonable shipping rates too seeing as it's coming from Hawaii. They may not be made from the same hazardous material as some of the others, don't know, but they don't ding you for "hazardous" shipping.

After looking, the stuff is polyethylene. Here's what they say about it.

"The plastic (polythylene) binding material is flexible, no bending needed! Each set includes two pieces, enough material to bind a Baritone uke."

http://hanalimastore.com/products/binding-set-tortoise-shell

I've been using it often and find it easy to deal with and it looks great. I use CA glue with the stuff

View attachment 80231

That's one damned classy looking uke in the picture there. I'm a sucker for tortoise.

Wanna have some fun with your faux tortoise binding? Run it on your sander with a dull belt and watch little flaming blobs spit off of it. That's why it is supposedly hazardous to ship. In any event the stuff can get hot so be careful.

The last two times I ordered from the Martin website. It was a nice reddish brown. I like turtleoid.

I thought I wouldn't like tortoise as a binding, but I've been contemplating a Rondo Hadean u-bass with it, nice looking contrast.

Hadean flame maple.jpg

I think faux tortoise is nice on ukes with light colored top & sides.
I've seen it on enough prizes old Martins to not think of it as degrading or cheap.
As for functionality, wouldn't the bindings be one place where impact resistant plastic might be appropriate?
I like the plain no-binding, no rosette look, but nobody likes cracked or chipped soundboard or back edges.

-Vinnie

Ouch. Here is a close-up picture of a uke I built with no binding. Soft spruce top and I have no idea how I did this ding, but binding is a must if the instrument gets played a lot. Especially with soft woods.

DSCN6053.jpg

Top Bottom