Tuners won't tune

Lideruke

So I have a Mainland red cedar soprano, with Aquila strings and friction tuners. I took it with me this weekend on a road trip, but left it in my car (it was in a case).
I took it out today, now that I'm home, and find the tuners for the G and A strings don't work. I try to tune the strings, but then the tuners self de-tune several steps.
Might this be from being in the heat of my car for a couple days? And if so, is this permanent? And if permanent, is it just the strings?
Thanks in advance

hoosierhiver

Sounds like the friction tuners might need to be tightened, use a small screwdriver and tighten the screws. Best not to leave a uke in the car if you can avoid it.

Rick Turner

Do NOT leave any wooden musical instrument in a car. The interior can easily get up to 130 degrees or more, and that's when glue starts to let go, wood shrinks and cracks appear, or what happened with yours is that the peghead shrunk in thickness and so the friction tuners are now too loose. Some of what you did will be permanent, but if you don't have any cracks in the wood, it will be OK when the wood rehumidifies. You may also find that the fret ends are now sticking out of the sides of the fingerboard because the fingerboard shrunk...but the metal frets didn't. The fret ends can be filed down. Best for your uke is what's comfortable for you... about 50% humidity, plus or minus 10%, and about 60 to 80 degrees F.

Lideruke

So you're Mike at Mainland? Awesome! Thanks for the video link to my email. It sounds great, again. Mainland makes a terrific ukulele.

I don't see anything else wrong. I guess I lucked out!