TUS/HMS Communication Issue Resolved by Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps HMS communication isn't what it should be but it's time to move on. Ultimately this is all meaningless so why prolong things? What is it going to accomplish? It's not like they are a lying or cheating lover which might actually warrant such bruised feelings.
There are many modes of communication that can be used and some online chat bot is likely most unreliable. If you can't walk into the store for a talk then phone call is probably second best.

"Let it go, let it go, turn your back and slam the door" (Elsa from "Frozen")
Much adoo about nothing...
Dude, your playing was good, but you shouldn't have recorded it outside...
How do you know that every other submission was represented?

"Let it go, let it go, turn your back and slam the door" (Elsa from "Frozen")
Much adoo about nothing...
Dude, your playing was good, but you shouldn't have recorded it outside...
How do you know that every other submission was represented?
Hmm, I thought it was strongly implied or stated but maybe I assumed that when they started reposting so many. Their reposts also represented a very broad range of talent and experience (which is a great thing), so I don’t think it was some kind of initial judging stage. That could leave the possibility that there was random selection going into who was reposted, but every finalist had been among those in the original story so I don’t really think that’s the case either.

I’d feel a little foolish if I find out I’m wrong, but only a little. I was bummed and confused when my entry never showed up on the story, but what made me absolutely feel like s** was being left on read when I politely asked about it. That first message was the perfect opportunity for someone to clarify that if it was the case, and I’d have been a good sport about it if that was just how they were choosing to run the contest…. The fact that someone could see that a member of their community was disappointed and confused and just asking for clarification, and then choose not to respond at all, is what was totally unacceptable to me. Nobody should be treated like that and nobody should feel ok about treating somebody else like that. That’s what set me off like this and it’s what I’m working to make peace with somehow.

I think where I have trouble with the time/staffing theory is that they read both messages. Not only that, in each instance they read it very shortly after I sent it. And their account usually shows as either being currently online or having been online very recently.

This all makes me think that they monitor their messages pretty closely and engage with those they choose to…. I don’t know what percentage or types of messages make the cut, but apparently a loyal community member and customer being affected by their mistake isn’t one of them.

I admit I’m curious to take another stab at trying to find out what happened, since there’s a chance my issue is really just with Tobias and it would be nice to feel like I can keep on loving my favorite shop. But I’m torn because keeping on reaching out so many times feels like psycho behavior, and after a certain point it’s just humiliating.
NOT reaching out (to TUS) is psycho behavior ; you continuing this thread is also .
Aloha .

NOT reaching out (to TUS) is psycho behavior ; you continuing this thread is also .
Aloha .
Little harsh? I legitimately don’t understand some of the attitudes about keeping the thread going, people are commenting and I’m interested in hearing what they have to say/discussing. It’s not like the thread is dying out and I keep necro’ing it.

I hear you re: reaching out. I feel I already have, but I’m listening to everyone suggesting calling and I’m genuinely giving it thought.

If people stop commenting the thread will die naturally! I’m not necro’ing it, I don’t really understand the issue but feel free to unfollow it.

If you have something of substance to say about the issue I’m all ears, but repeated calls to “let it go” without any elaboration on your thoughts are kinda rude and only serve to bump the thread to the top of the forum so that more people will comment and keep it going. What are you trying to accomplish?

I enjoy your videos, btw =)

Don't reach out to them anymore, whether by email or phone. Just move on. Who knows, you might have even cost them future business if a potential customer stumbles onto this thread, gets the wrong impression about them, and chooses to shop somewhere else. You haven't been victimized, you've just been ignored. There's a difference. Learn from it, commit to being less fragile, and keep playing.

Little harsh? I legitimately don’t understand some of the attitudes about keeping the thread going, people are commenting and I’m interested in hearing what they have to say/discussing. It’s not like the thread is dying out and I keep necro’ing it.

I hear you re: reaching out. I feel I already have, but I’m listening to everyone suggesting calling and I’m genuinely giving it thought.
No , a little psycho .
You've turned a thirty second entry into a ukulele contest into Beethoven's Fifth .

No , a little psycho .
You've turned a thirty second entry into a ukulele contest into Beethoven's Fifth .
If you think it’s about the entry you’re either dense or you’re gaslighting.

It’s about being in a position of leadership within a community and enjoying the financial benefits of that position, and thinking it’s acceptable to leave someone on read when they’re confused and bummed and politely asking for a little clarification.

If you have a different take on that then go right ahead, but you’re not helping the situation by obfuscating the issue. And your comments keep the thread going as much as mine.

Frankly your behavior comes across as a little spiteful and antagonistic, maybe we’ve both got issues.

big edit:
I just remembered you from earlier in the thread, you contributed positively in a variety of ways, and I honestly really liked you! I’m confused as to why you’ve decided it should be cut off when others are still doing the same, and started name calling in order to enforce that. Can I ask why you don’t just unfollow if you’re sick of it?

Last edited:
If you think it’s about the entry you’re either dense or you’re gaslighting.

It’s about being in a position of leadership within a community and enjoying the financial benefits of that position, and thinking it’s acceptable to leave someone on read when they’re confused and bummed and politely asking for a little clarification.

If you have a different take on that then go right ahead, but you’re not helping the situation by obfuscating the issue.
Aloha and Keep it Pono .

Translating from Hawaiian to English can sometimes be difficult. The concepts for some words are so deep that you can’t understand the meaning by a simple definition. It must be lived and felt to be completely understood. Pono is one of those words. While the commonly accepted definition is “Righteousness,” there is much more meaning than that. Since ancient times, the concept of Pono was a part of everyday Hawaiian life, and continues to be today. It means more than doing the right thing in any situation. It refers to living your life based on bringing harmony to yourself and others, as well as your environment. If you are living a life that is based on pono, you live in a way that seeks to improve the world around yourself. It’s not that we don’t do the same in the English-speaking world. But we have many different words that have a specific definition that all relate to Pono: Balance, Harmony, Integrity, Respect, Righteousness—they all allude to what the concept of Pono defines. The difference, however, is that in Hawaii, the idea of Pono is taught to children at a very young age. A common question asked to children in school is, “Is it Pono?” Or to rephrase in English, “Do your actions reflect bringing more harmony and good into the world?” It is a guiding principle that precedes an action. Doing something that is not Pono is very easy to identify. One small example that may seem insignificant, but has a drastic effect is littering. Littering leads to imbalance; by leaving garbage in a pristine environment (or even a city street), you are contributing to disorder. It brings a foreign substance into the environment that should not be there. However, when you pick up a piece of trash, although it may feel insignificant amongst all the other pieces of trash around, you are doing your part to help make the world a bit more beautiful. Therefore, what you are doing is Pono. Imagine if everyone thought along these lines; our world would be a bit more beautiful than it is today. Working towards a Pono life is not an idealistic "change the world overnight" type attitude. Instead it is simply a way to guide your decisions. If before every action you make, the idea of Pono crosses your mind, chances are that there will be things that you choose not to do. It's mostly simple common sense, and at the end of the day, that's what life should be. If you have to think long and hard about a decision, chances are it's not Pono. Because most righteous actions in this world are the things that we know to be true without questioning. What is it that you can do today to make your life more Pono? And what can you do to help others become more Pono? By Steve Andrews

Translating from Hawaiian to English can sometimes be difficult. The concepts for some words are so deep that you can’t understand the meaning by a simple definition. It must be lived and felt to be completely understood. Pono is one of those words. While the commonly accepted definition is “Righteousness,” there is much more meaning than that. Since ancient times, the concept of Pono was a part of everyday Hawaiian life, and continues to be today. It means more than doing the right thing in any situation. It refers to living your life based on bringing harmony to yourself and others, as well as your environment. If you are living a life that is based on pono, you live in a way that seeks to improve the world around yourself. It’s not that we don’t do the same in the English-speaking world. But we have many different words that have a specific definition that all relate to Pono: Balance, Harmony, Integrity, Respect, Righteousness—they all allude to what the concept of Pono defines. The difference, however, is that in Hawaii, the idea of Pono is taught to children at a very young age. A common question asked to children in school is, “Is it Pono?” Or to rephrase in English, “Do your actions reflect bringing more harmony and good into the world?” It is a guiding principle that precedes an action. Doing something that is not Pono is very easy to identify. One small example that may seem insignificant, but has a drastic effect is littering. Littering leads to imbalance; by leaving garbage in a pristine environment (or even a city street), you are contributing to disorder. It brings a foreign substance into the environment that should not be there. However, when you pick up a piece of trash, although it may feel insignificant amongst all the other pieces of trash around, you are doing your part to help make the world a bit more beautiful. Therefore, what you are doing is Pono. Imagine if everyone thought along these lines; our world would be a bit more beautiful than it is today. Working towards a Pono life is not an idealistic "change the world overnight" type attitude. Instead it is simply a way to guide your decisions. If before every action you make, the idea of Pono crosses your mind, chances are that there will be things that you choose not to do. It's mostly simple common sense, and at the end of the day, that's what life should be. If you have to think long and hard about a decision, chances are it's not Pono. Because most righteous actions in this world are the things that we know to be true without questioning. What is it that you can do today to make your life more Pono? And what can you do to help others become more Pono? By Steve Andrews
Thanks for the substantive comment, I think this is an interesting read. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe you’re focusing primarily on the element of “harmony,” which I’m disrupting as the OP of this somewhat contentious thread.

I don’t recall the exact quote or who it was by, but someone who was discussing much greater issues than this (I’m bu no means attempting to create equivalence) argued that true peace can only be achieved with justice and that a forced peace at the expense of some (accepting injustice) is not a true peace at all. Might have been MLK. I think that’s relevant when considering what our definition of harmony is.

I think that acting with integrity and wanting to improve the world around us sometimes requires disrupting peace and harmony namely when standing up for one’s self or others. I assure you I stand up for others even more vigorously, but in this instance I felt personally aggrieved and extremely disrespected, and felt the need to stand up for myself in some way before I could take a deep breath and move on from it. I also felt it would be valuable to have some kind of discussion around it. I’d have much rather done that in private and respectful conversation with the other party; again, all I really wanted was to get clarification and understand the situation. I got a stone wall instead.

You were initially helping, both with your critiques of my position and your supportive comments. They were equally valuable. A couple of your recent comments have amounted to name-calling, which serves no one and certainly isn’t “keeping it pono.”

Last edited:
Lol aaronkb said they'd drop the thread once we stop replying so... stop replying if you're not interested in keeping the thread going? I've been enjoying the conversation. I have a friend who would have a very similar approach to aaronkb, perhaps some other posters herein don't have a clue what the deal is. Anyway, thanks for all the convo, it's kept me busy and entertained! Although I am sorry if it's at your expense aaronkb, I hope not. From the general overall sound of it, I get the impression mostly not.

Lol aaronkb said they'd drop the thread once we stop replying so... stop replying if you're not interested in keeping the thread going? I've been enjoying the conversation. I have a friend who would have a very similar approach to aaronkb, perhaps some other posters herein don't have a clue what the deal is. Anyway, thanks for all the convo, it's kept me busy and entertained! Although I am sorry if it's at your expense aaronkb, I hope not. From the general overall sound of it, I get the impression mostly not.
Hey, thanks ploverwing ☺️

A few comments that basically amounted to personal attacks or attempts to just silence the issue felt like they were “at my expense,” but I’ve enjoyed and appreciated everyone who’s actually put thought into their comment - whether they think I’m right, wrong, or somewhere in between.

New policy, from here on out I’m not responding to trolls or gaslighters who aren’t engaging in the actual subject and seem to feel personally wronged by me having and expressing feelings.

Every single troll who shows up will have the last word starting now, so that no one can accuse me of doing this for attention. That’s not what I’m after. I don’t enjoy this type of attention at all.

But I will absolutely continue to engage with people who show up for legitimate discussion. Anyone who’s bothered by that can and should unfollow the thread and go about their life ☺ (unless they just want to lash out for attention)

A lot of good responses, although many seem a little one sided. I don’t think it’s impossible that both parties didn’t handle it well. They dropped the ball, communication-wise. You seem to be overreacting a bit. I think that’s why you’re getting such mixed responses. Some people think they need to do a better job of communicating. I agree, although I personally have not had a problem in my interactions with them. I kinda already heard about the Hawaiian culture thing, so I was prepared for that. Fortunately, it’s never been an issue in my experience. But I think you’re taking things more seriously than you should. And if nothing else, I don’t think it’s healthy for you to have this much anxiety about it. I’m not saying what happened to you doesn’t stink. But I also think you’ve made it bigger than it is.

I guess it’s up to you what you want to make of that. But I notice you seem to be “liking” all the responses that are sympathetic to you, which is natural, but also a small sign of how invested you are in what should be a rather minor incident.

My advice: if you call and talk to them, it’s likely that you’ll get a good response and probably an apology. But don’t call if you can’t handle them disappointing you again.

Also, I disagree with the opinions about them removing social media communications. If they never utilized them, sure. But I’ve been able to communicate with them through those means. And again, given their business culture, it seems like removing those options wouldn’t actually make them use the phone more (since that’s probably not why they’re lax in the first place), it would just reduce the number of options we have to reach them. Just my take.

I’ll end with this: an analogy to their business, I tend to think of them like a really fun but flaky friend who I can have good times with, but not always dependably.
What overreacting?
He had a valid concern and voiced it to the community as a last resort after being completely ignored, beyond reasonable doubt.
There are no signs that aaron is being anxious or unhealthy about this ordeal.

Yes, compared to the many other things that could go wrong this is a 'minor' incident.
However, it still is objectively unacceptable from a customer and entrant perspective.

Like I said in my earlier post, people who seem to believe that aaron is 'over reacting' are obviously happy with being treated badly.

TUS's successful webstore, podcasts and general publicity aside, what happened to aaron is wrong and he deserves an explanation directly from them. He has tried to contact them via the proper communication channels, but remains unreciprocated.

Creating 4 pages of content and 78 posts on UU. You may as well capitalise on the attention.

Can you post your next video on Shameless Self Promotions or join the current SOTU so we can see more of your work.
Genuinely can’t tell in text whether this was sincere or sarcastic, tell me which and I’ll believe you.

I posted something I’m working on on a couple Facebook groups earlier but there were a few bungled notes and for whatever reason care more about quality on here. Was planning to post it once I feel like I can get a perfect take, I just get 10x worse when I’m recording 🤦‍♂️

And if this thread has long since died down by then, I’m very cool with that lol. I compulsively want to get along with everyone so believe me, I’m not a fan of the type of attention I’m getting from this. I’m fairly certain I’ve made more enemies than friends by rocking the boat, especially where TUS is concerned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom