Two Questions: C string tuning, action

gyre

Reaction score
I have a new Kala soprano uke. I really like it, but I have a couple of questions.

I have a good ear, but the C string sounds so different to me than the other strings that it's harder to tune. Have you had that problem? Could it be because the string is the thickest?

I'm beginning to think the "action" (?) might be set too high. When I play the top frets, I'm not getting the strings down low enough without a lot of pressure. Is this normal?

Sorry for both questions at once, but I didn't want to post twice.

a new Kala soprano likely might need to have the nut filed on that string a little. Fret the C string on the third fret and see how much gap is over the first fret while its fretted on the third. You can do this for all the strings. So to set it up at the nut you'd want to use a smallish file and slope it down so its like parallel with the headstock sloped down towards the tuning machines so the high end of your filing would be at the live string end of the nut and gently file to lower the nut slot so the string has a minimal clearance but yet some over the first fret while fretting the third. OF course you have to move the string out of the slot while doing this. You do it a little, put the string back in and check the clearance... if still too high, do a little more until its minimal and then you are set up properly. Don't overdo it. take it slow.

I would guess it needs to be set up. I bought mine from Hawaii music supply and it is so easy to play, the intonation was right on. The action was nice and low and required very little pressure.

Thank you. I noticed the C bridge slot has some extra plastic slopping in it, so that might account for the different sound. I can hardly wait for my Mainland Concert which will be set up by Mike. It's supposed to arrive in July, and July is 2/3 over. . . This Kala nice, but an inexpensive uke and was not set up.

Top Bottom