UAS Struck Again!

JackLuis

Up date on the CG-103 Guitalele.

After a few days of being tuned up, the strings have lost their rubbery floppyness and the tension is much improved. It still is intoned well and I find a light touch is all I need to fret the strings. The extra stings (E-A) sure ad to the character of the sound.

I'm finding more an more chords I can play from my baritone with just a few additions. I'm starting to learn the string positions without looking as well. Surprising what a few days can teach my fumbling fingers.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Up date on the CG-103 Guitalele.

After a few days of being tuned up, the strings have lost their rubbery floppyness and the tension is much improved. It still is intoned well and I find a light touch is all I need to fret the strings. The extra stings (E-A) sure ad to the character of the sound.

I'm finding more an more chords I can play from my baritone with just a few additions. I'm starting to learn the string positions without looking as well. Surprising what a few days can teach my fumbling fingers.

That's great JackLuis. Keep with it. PT is a lot easier if there is a goal and a purpose attached to it.

JackLuis

One thing I've noticed about the Carmel Carbon strings, that came on my CG-103, is they are very temperature sensitive. I've been getting up at 0 dark thirty when the temp in my office is about 70 and having to tune up half the strings, then by 10:00 or so I have to retune the other half of the strings?

I don't know if this is the neck adjusting to our low humidity here (10-40%) or just the temperature?

JackLuis

I got my Caramel Ebony and Rosewood Concert this evening. OMG it is Beautiful! A gloss finish and armrest and beveled cutaway in rosewood with nicely striped Ebony body, Slotted headstock Mahogany neck.
The strings are of course limp at this point but intonation seems good at 12 and I can't complain yet about anything. It does sound a bit weak but I think some better strings will help. I have a set of take off Fremont Blackline Low G to change to as they seemed to make my CC-100 concert sound off pretty well.

I was amazed at the price point, $120 delivered. Did I mention this thing is Beautiful?

It is hard to say after only a few hours if the voice will improve. The A string is a little plonky but improving as the strings have set up a little. The other strings ring pretty well so I have hope that it will improve with age and playing. I have four other glossy Caramels and they have a little different tone than the satin finished ones.
I was very happy with my CC-100 satin finished Zebrawood concert. It is darn good for a under $50 uke. But it does not compare with the Ebony and Rosewood for beauty, but its Voice is sweet and has plenty of volume.
The Ebony top is defiantly laminated so I think it might not be as lively as the Zebrawood, which is laminate due to the Ebony being a bit denser. Hard to say yet.

Last edited:

JackLuis

My Ebony and Rosewood Concert is improving in volume, but it plunks on any A, particularly the Open first string. Fret the string and and it sings, but unfretted it plunks. I'm betting it's the strings, and have order some Fremont Black lines Low G for it.
It has very low volume to me. My wife says not,(her hearing is much better than mine,) but In the last week it has improved some. The intonation is not as good as the strings stretch out though.
I'm thinking of calling it the Whispering Wahine?

JackLuis

Well the Fremonts added a lot to the volume and the Low G is a major improvement to the voice. It still is not as loud as my Zebrawood concert, but it is a lot heavier, so the more mass in the Fremonts drive the body much better.
THe A string still plunks but not as bad as with the light carbon strings that it came with.

The slotted head stock is a pain to restring though.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
...The slotted head stock is a pain to restring though.

Do you have a string winder? They help a lot.

My biggest thing is remembering which string wraps towards which end of the tuner? It takes me a moment to work it out to avoid the string rubbing the sides of the slots in the head, and fitting the nut slots.

Other than that, not a biggie.

JackLuis

The problem I had was remembering which way to wrap the string under to get it to hold. I found that you had to wrap the string backwards and around the winding string to get it to hold. Also the Fremonts are stiff as heck and that made holding the loose end until it took tension a difficult thing.

I got a new set of Hannabach stings for the Caramel Guitalele (a 1/4 scale guitar set) and waiting for my frustration to subside before I tackle six stings with bridge pins.