UBass Tuning Machines

BadMonk

Reaction score
Well, yikes...are these things like gold or what? Long story made short, a newly purchased Mahalo UBass got a set of Gotoh tuners only to realize the E and A string tuning machines are too narrow in the slot to accept the fat rubbery UBass strings. No problem, I'll just get a set of UBass tuners...oh brother.

The $20 -$30 per Hipshot tuners are expensive, if they can be found. The Der Jung set is imported by one 'distributor' - I believe - and waiting to hear from him. But it appears he has no inventory at the moment and nobody else carries them in the States.

Are there no other options for UBass tuners?? I guess filing the Gotoh slots. Maybe selling off the two UBasses and seriously looking a Fender Mini Precision or Ibanez Mikro ... dang, the ability to get parts is a must (for me).

I have a set of the black wide slot tuners for you, just pay for the shipping, probably less than $15. I actually replaced them with a Gotoh model that has a litttle wider slots than their standard bass tuners. $60 four pieces black: https://www.amazon.com/Gotoh-Compac...PQ1P4AH0DT0&psc=1&refRID=3VZESAY7FPQ1P4AH0DT0, or $44 four chrome: https://www.amazon.com/Gotoh-Compact-Bass-Tuner-Chrome/dp/B00EB11RLK

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Kohanmike, do the Hipshot tuning machines fit into the headstock of the Kala Journeyman without drilling?

Kohanmike, do the Hipshot tuning machines fit into the headstock of the Kala Journeyman without drilling?
Don't know about the Journeyman, but I did have to open the holes slightly on a couple of my Hadean bass ukes, didn't need much, I used a Dremel with a small sanding tube.

Top Bottom