"Uke is a type of guitar"

So is a violin, and the rubber bands I strung on the drawer pulls of my Mother's dresser back when I was four years old.

No.No.NO.No. A guitar is a type of Ukulele.

I would say yes, technically it is. It's in the guitar family, certainly. Violins are NOT in the guitar family. Mandolins are closer to the violin family than the guitar family, based on tuning, but they're sort of a hybrid violin family/guitar family thing. I'm not sure where banjos fit in there. But clearly, the ukulele and its Madeiran predecessors all evolved from the guitar or its predecessors.

"Uke is a type of Guitar"

The uke is not a guitar.

It is a toy.

Of course that Amazon example actually is a guitar, albeit a uke sized one.

If a uke normally had 6 strings, would that immediately change your perception?

The construction of ukes and classical/flamenco guitars is similar.
The most important difference is the neck angle.
The bracing is/can be/very close to identical (5-7 fans).
Very similar top thickness

Size does not change the quality or essence of a thing

I don't see what the big deal is...how many times have you said you play ukulele and you get the blank stare but you say it's like the little guitar they play in Hawaii with 4 strings and they know what it is. It's a way to describe it to the mass that doesn't play ukulele. I used to be the same way before I started.

Ukulele is a type of. ........ Music instrument:D

Actually, I don't care which family is belong to....
I just want good music^^

Keep strumming and enjoy ur weekend^^

As for the differences between four string ukuleles and six string guitars, one of the biggest differences in music is the difference between minor and major keys or scales. On both the guitar and the ukulele fretboard the physical implementation of this huge musical difference is one fret space on the third note of any scale, a distance of less than 3/4 of an inch in most cases. This physically small distance makes a big difference in the sound of the music you play. The same analogy applies to the guitar and the ukulele.

@ Bill1. Sorry but I am also trying / messing around with a guitar, and I am battling with fretting and understanding the guitar in terms of the ukulele in terms of movable chords. What I have discovered is that a minor chord is an easy movable chord on a guitar.
So what you've written at this stage is that I am not sure what you are trying to say.......... Is a minor chord harder to fret on a uke? Or is a minor chord more often used on a guitar than a major chord, cos it is easier to fret?

Top Bottom