Uke Like the Pros Questionable Business Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rllink

I've never even heard of this guy and I did both a Google and Yahoo search for "ukulele for sale". He didn't come up in four pages of results. I don't really understand the angst over him. He charges you to look online at the ukulele he has for sale? How does that even work and who would even pay him? That's just crazy. What is it that attracts people to him? Is there something about him that people can't resist?

Natikadawn

I've never even heard of this guy and I did both a Google and Yahoo search for "ukulele for sale". He didn't come up in four pages of results. I don't really understand the angst over him. He charges you to look online at the ukulele he has for sale? How does that even work and who would even pay him? That's just crazy. What is it that attracts people to him? Is there something about him that people can't resist?
Whatever magic search skills you have please pass it on to me. If I look up campanella ukulele, his video is 2nd. If I look up low g ukulele, his videos are 1st. Every time I try to look up something about ukuleles, it's about a 98% chance he will be among the first few videos listed on Google. I was able to block him on Google ads, but haven't been successful with anything else. He's like a plague 😂

ScooterD35

In stark contrast to this…

A couple of years ago I was in the market for a Martin Konter Uke and called Elderly Instruments. The salesman I spoke to was Mike who said ”Sure! We have 5 in stock right now. I told him I was hoping to find one with a lighter colored top so that the engraved signatures would be easier to read and he took my info with a promise to call me back.

Less than an hour later, I get an email from him with pictures of all 5 Ukes with handwritten serial numbers on post-it’s next to each one. Then my phone rings… It’s Mike, sitting in the stock room with the Ukes and he literally played each one into the phone for me and talked in detail about how they each looked, sounded and played live (as opposed to over the phone). We spent about 45 minutes going over every detail, I made my decision and three days later my new Uke was delivered!

Not only was there no charge for the personal service and photos, I also got a pretty generous discount on the Konter without even asking. Now that’s what I call customer service!

Scooter

Natikadawn

A couple of years ago I was in the market for a Martin Konter Uke and called Elderly Instruments. The salesman I spoke to was Mike who said ”Sure! We have 5 in stock right now. I told him I was hoping to find one with a lighter colored top so that the engraved signatures would be easier to read and he took my info with a promise to call me back.

Less than an hour later, I get an email from him with pictures of all 5 Ukes with handwritten serial numbers on post-it’s next to each one. Then my phone rings… It’s Mike, sitting in the stock room with the Ukes and he literally played each one into the phone for me and talked in detail about how they each looked, sounded and played live (as opposed to over the phone). We spent about 45 minutes going over every detail, I made my decision and three days later my new Uke was delivered!

Not only was there no charge for the personal service and photos, I also got a pretty generous discount on the Konter without even asking. Now that’s what I call customer service!

Scooter
Thanks for sharing this Scooter. It's so good to hear positive stories about shops that care. Mike from Elderly Instruments sounds like an awesome guy.

TerryM

UU VIP
UU VIP
Whatever magic search skills you have please pass it on to me.... I was able to block him on Google ads, but haven't been successful with anything else.
What comes up listed first in a search is based to some extent on what sites you've recently visited.

You can exclude sites or domains using the search command -inurl:[site url]. For instance, if you wanted to search for weather but don't want to see the Weather Channel site listed in the results, you can enter "weather -inurl:https//weather.com" and nothing from weather.com will show up. (There may be references to the Weather Channel from another site, like Facebook, etc. but not from weather.com).

I agree that ultp is off-putting in every way I can think of, but I just ignore it. If he stays in business there must be enough people who are not bothered by the OTT marketing and nickle/diming.

Cadia

Whatever magic search skills you have please pass it on to me. If I look up campanella ukulele, his video is 2nd. If I look up low g ukulele, his videos are 1st. Every time I try to look up something about ukuleles, it's about a 98% chance he will be among the first few videos listed on Google. I was able to block him on Google ads, but haven't been successful with anything else. He's like a plague 😂
Very rarely are the videos really informative, though. The playing style doesn't show off the uke's capabilities very well, and the "Firemeter" thing means absolutely nothing.

Natikadawn

Am I missing something here? Don't pay, go somewhere else, play your uke, turn your back on negativity, and build good vibes
But what if someone is causing harm? Do we just turn our backs? If we just stay quiet, and assume other people know what we know because we only want to build good vibes, this allows people/companies to take advantage of others. Sometimes it's really important to talk openly about topics that are uncomfortable because it can help others.

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
I once bought a
Am I missing something here? Don't pay, go somewhere else, play your uke, turn your back on negativity, and build good vibes
This is a community and everything said is not just opinions but actual facts observed. Folks come here to find good and bad experiences folks had. I would refrain from name-calling or passing judgments but pointing something out seems fair.

ripock

But what if someone is causing harm? Do we just turn our backs? If we just stay quiet, and assume other people know what we know because we only want to build good vibes, this allows people/companies to take advantage of others. Sometimes it's really important to talk openly about topics that are uncomfortable because it can help others.
I am not going to argue if this is how you wish to spend your time and energy. Seek me out if you ever want to talk about music. Later.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
His site does use cookies. So unless you got rid of them and cleared your history, it will affect your searches.

kaimuki

@kaimuki I'm not sure about the investment email. If you check out Barry's Facebook post you will see where a person brought up there concern that a few months ago Terry "blasted" his ULTP emails with the life coach/investment info. But here is the website if you want to invest and also you can watch his video where he talks about how he owns several 7 figure niche businesses and he can mentor you to dominate your life and be just like him:
https://www.terrycarter.com/courses
FC922618-EB63-4CC6-8F45-45E2B6383567.jpeg

Tin Ear

Natika, after buying your Kanile’a (which I love) and your warning about this guy I did go and look at his site. All I can say is that if you look up smarmy in the dictionary you will come across this guy. I would not buy a paper clip from him. Thanks for the warning.

Phil
I bet for a unreasonable fee they would probably photograph a paperclip if you wanted to take a chance on buying one from them. Personally I'd advise against it, even though it looks like some folks are getting clipped pretty well.

King David

I’m glad this is coming to light. This guy is a quack. Totaly rapes all the Aloha out of everything good about uke and community that drew me to this place over a decade ago, all for a buck. Those of you choosing to invest YOUR energy acting as his personal minions and leaping to his defense should be ashamed. Turning a blind eye to these shady tactics makes you part of the problem as we all vote with our dollars here and if enough of us speak up and deny them that these greedy corporations WILL change as all they value is the almighty dollar. This is beyond ULTP - this is a reflection of corporate American greed we see in the world we live in now as a whole… and we’re taking a stand even if we have to stand alone. Bring the ukes back home!

Joyful Uke

Scooter
I've had great customer service and help from Elderly also, even with small items.

Another great one is The Music Emporium. And when I asked them to install a strap button, they, to use their term, "geeked out", trying to find what they thought would look best on there, installed it for free, and shipped the same day, with a perfect set up.

We're lucky to have lots of great options for purchasing, and can stay away from those that look less desirable to us.

Thanks to all who share here. That adds to the great experiences and helps us avoid missteps.

Tin Ear

Barry Maz’s Facebook posts are a must-read, along with the reader comments. The more I think about this, the madder I get. Do the people at Kanilea & Koaloha & Kamaka & Flight & all the rest of the ULTP brands realize that what Terry’s doing is taking their instruments out of one box and stuffing them into another to send to buyers—unless the buyers PAY him to see what they’re buying and PAY him to check the ukes and PAY him to set them up properly?

Oh, and boosting the price and calling it a SALE price, as some commenters said in replying to Barry’s Facebook post. This is not what a responsible dealer does. This is what a broker does.

If I made ukes I would NOT want them sold this way. Perhaps these uke makers should re-think their relationship with ULTP.
Hey Patty - It does not hurt to contact manufacturers with feedback about stocking dealers. I ran into one instance with a particular dealer and its staff who apparently had no idea what they were doing. I did not buy from them.

Condensed story - they mixed actual photos of a used K brand on their website with some stock photos ( you could tell photos from two different ukes were used ) they didn't even know it was strung left handed ( I could tell because of the thickness of strings and an opposite position of a low G ) Store manager seemed to be incompetent in communications when asked to clarify discrepancies and I doubted their claim how well the uke was inspected when taken in for sale, seeing they didn't even realize it was strung left handed. Really seemed like the last place I would want to shop.

Anyway being the Uke in question was one of the prestigious K Brands I did contact the manufacturer and related my experience about the competency of the dealer selling their product and other suspected questionable practices.

You can give feedback to manufacturers if you think a dealer does not perform or misrepresents the product or operates in subpar fashion as a dealer.

badhabits

Natikadawn got a uke from ultp then was subject to bad post-sale service and felt taken afterwards, so is sharing her experience trying to prevent that from happening to others... trying to prevent bad vibes rather than just turning away and possibly letting others have that same bad experience. All the other stuff (add in pre-naming each uke) is a bonus (further evidence?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.