Uke New Jersey Too! August 29, 30 2014 in Morristown, NJ

ScooterD35

Reaction score
Hey there Ukesters,

We had so much fun last year at Uke New Jersey!, that we've decided to do it again!

On Friday August 29 and Saturday August 30 we will return to the Mansion in Morristown, NJ for Uke New Jersey Too!

Following the same basic format as last year, we'll start on Friday night with a movie and a concert, followed by workshops, open mics, vendors, jams, camaraderie all day Saturday and finish up with another concert on Saturday night. New for this year, we're adding a free Sunday Jam In The Park hosted by The Morristown Uke Jam Meetup group.

The website is up and running now with early-bird pricing and live ticket links.

Special early bird pricing until June 15, $65 for the entire event!

After June 15, Friday Night $15, Saturday all day and night $65, Full Event $75.

If there are any spots left, Saturday concert only tickets will be made available in early August.

Children 12 and under are free, and all attendees 16 and under must be accompanied by a paid parent or guardian.

http://www.folkproject.org/ukefest/ukefest.shtml

Featured performers:

Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer (Grammy-winning power duo)
Jim and Liz Beloff (the heart and soul of the Uke world)
Stuart Fuchs (brilliant teacher and performer)
Honor Finnegan (hysterical singer-songwriter and ukeist)
The Stringbusters (Pete and Maura Kennedy)
Uncle Zac (everybody's favorite Uncle)

Stay tuned...

Scooter

Last edited:
I am traveling from the West Coast and I might not still be in your area when this Uke fest happens, but if there are any locals who get together on a regular basis for a jam/singalong, just send me a pm. I'd love to share some ukulele aloha :) - v

The website is up! Registration is active with early bird pricing, $65 for the full event until June 15.

After June 15, Friday Night $15, Saturday all day and night $65, Full Event $75.

If there are any spots left, Saturday concert only tickets will be made available in early August.

Children 12 and under are free, and all attendees 16 and under must be accompanied by a paid parent or guardian.

Featured performers:

Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer
The Stringbusters (Pete and Maura Kennedy)
Jim and Liz Beloff
Stuart Fuchs
Honor Finnegan
Uncle Zac

...and YOU!

Last edited:
Just a reminder, two weeks left for the early bird special at $65 for the full event!

On-site food vendors, plenty of free parking, minutes from Rt 287 and free shuttle service from the Morristown train station.

Scooter

Last edited:
When do you anticipate a schedule being available?

Thanks

I'm still waiting for workshops from some performers, but the overall schedule will be:

Friday night

7:30 Mighty Uke
8:45 Uncle Zac
9:10 Break (coffee, cookies, etc...)
9:30 Jim & Liz Beloff
10:05 The Stringbusters (Pete & Maura Kennedy)

Saturday

8:30 - 6:00
Workshops, open mic, jams, vending, schmoozing, etc...

Saturday night

7:30 Honor Finnegan
8:00 Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer
9:00 Break (coffee, cookies, etc...)
9:30 Jim & Liz Beloff
10:05 Stuart Fuchs

Scooter

Workshops and tons of free stuff!!!

Marcy Marxer Workshops

12th Street Rag & Rockin’ the Uke

Learn these 2 classics by Roy Smeck, “The Wizard of the Strings” taught to Marcy by the master himself. Includes right hand tricks and techniques.intermediate/advanced

Cathy Fink Workshops

Play by Ear – PaperFree! Ear Training 201

What key do I sing in? How do I know what chord to play? Where are the notes to this song? You will be amazed at how easy it is to take your eyes off the page and start training your ear to play what you want. Intermediate level-must know 4 chords in 4 keys, i.e. the keys of C, D, G and A.

Beginning Fingerpicking

Learn how to hold the uke and right hand patterns for fingerpicking with 2,3 and 4 fingers. We’ll apply this to a few songs to get your started.

Jim Beloff Workshops

Ukulele 101

Taking the new ukeist from square one and setting them on the path to musical freedom! For the absolute beginner.

Strum Along With Jumpin’ Jim

Join Jumpin’ Jim as you explore some of the songs from The Daily Ukulele: Leap Year Edition. Along the way, Jim will teach strums, chords and other techniques. For the advanced beginner.

Stuart Fuchs Workshops

A Funky Uke Time

Bring on your funk with “scratch strums”, colorful 9th and 13th chords, and heavy dose of F.U.N.(K). We’ll play and sing classic funk and R&B tunes and deepen our connection to the groove.

“The Uke in Black”: A Johnny Cash Ukulele Jam

Johnny Cash was arguably one of the most influential American songwriters of the 20th century. While he is often remembered as a country music icon, his music and poetry embraces blues, gospel, cowboy ballads, rock n’ roll and railroad songs. In this workshop we’ll play & sing many of Cash’s most celebrated songs in addition to many less known “deep cuts”. We will learn country & blues rhythm accompaniment patterns while playing Johnny Cash’s songs. In addition we’ll learn many of the delightfully tawngy lead lines of his lead guitarist Luther Perkins that characterized Johnny Cash’s classic Sun Records sound!
This workshop is open to players of all levels.

Pete Kennedy Workshops

Something in the Way She Ukes

Fingerpicking Beatle Songs on the Uke:

Eclectic uke master Pete Kennedy shows you how to play the chords and melody to three songs written by George Harrison, the "uke playing Beatle"; Something, Here Comes the Sun, and If I Needed Someone. Intermediate level, mostly open chords, with easy handouts.

Game of Ukes
Transposing your Guitar Chords to the Uke:

Pete Kennedy started out as a guitarist before realizing the wonders of the uke, and he has a special sympathy for guitarists making their first forays into the strange and exotic uke world. He will show you where the familiar open chords on guitar can be found on the uke, so you can start playing songs you already know, and he will even show a few things you can do with that funny little fourth string. Chord charts will be handed out.

Uncle Zac Workshop

The Bottom Line: Exploring The Baritone Ukulele

Honor Finnegan Workshop

Songwriting On Four Strings

Honor will guide you through her songwriting process as it relates to the ukulele.

The Uke New Jersey Too! door prize drawings will commence on July 24th!

We have amassed a sizable collection of Uke-related goodies to give away to our registered attendees, including (but not limited to): Ukuleles, so far we have a Flea, a Kala, and an Ohana and Mike at Mainland Ukes has generously donated a Mainland!

We also have a nice selection of cases, strings, books, etc. so that each drawing will have 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes. Starting Thursday July 24th, we will have a weekly random drawing from all registered attendees every Thursday night until the festival.

Any questions, call 908-229-1214 or email ukenj@folkproject.org

Scooter

I'll be there and I'll be bringing along another uke addict. Can't wait.

We are mere days away!

Weather forecast says rain this weekend. Rather than head to the cold, soggy shore or a damp BBQ, come on out to Uke New Jersey Too! where all activities are indoors and out of the rain.

The final give away drawing for pre-registered attendees is this Thursday night, and the top prize is a beautiful Classic Mahogony Concert Mainland Uke that was donated by Mainland Mike himself! (All hail Mainland Mike!)

Details and tickets can be found here:

Feel free to call or email with any questions.

Ukenj@folkproject.org

908-229-1214

Thanks,

Scooter

Three more days! I think I am pretty much the poster girl for Uke NJ 1, so I'm pretty excited ... it's kind of my anniversary.

A year ago I had no interest in ukulele, and I thought it was pretty much a bother that Scooter and the Folk Project were hosting this ukefest thingy, because friends of mine would go and I had to decide whether to bother to go to this thing that was really not all that interesting to me.

Well, today I'm grateful to them and the powers of peer pressure, because at the last minute I decided to go Friday night ... mostly just to see the movie "Mighty Uke", which sounded a little interesting.

Well, that movie is amazing! I'm pretty sure no movie has ever changed my life like this one did. Everyone in the film seemed to be having so much fun ... it looked easier than any other kind of music I'd ever heard or made ... and they seemed to be having such a great time together, in community. I just wanted to be doing what they were doing.

The next day, I borrowed a uke and returned for the full festival. Inside of the first hour, Jim Beloff had us absolute beginners playing a bunch of chords and a handful of songs ... it really is that easy and that quick.

By lunchtime I'd wandered into the vendor's room and bought myself a uke. (An hour later I returned it and by the end of the day bought a different one ... I just knew I needed to leave there with a uke in my hands!)

Less than three weeks later I had a band with a name and a logo and a Facebook page, a week after that I made my first Seasons of the Ukulele video, and (except for two weeks I missed early on) I have made at least one more every single week since then. I have over 80 videos on my YouTube channel, 11 months later.

If you are anywhere within accessible distance, do not miss this uke fest. Bring everyone you know, musical or otherwise. Your life and their lives will be happier and better for having attended.

They are showing the movie again Friday night, so if you know anybody you'd love to see with a uke in their hands, bring 'em! Come introduce yourselves and I will personally encourage them.

Come! You know you want to!
I look forward to seeing you there.

What time is Marcy Marxer's workshop? I can't get there until late morning and would hate to miss it... Actually, specific times for all the workshops would be good to know!

Ask and you shall receive, Grasshopper...

Actually, I just finished putting the schedule together a couple of hours ago.

See you this weekend, Ukeateers!!!

Scooter

Uke New Jersey Too! Workshop Schedule

9:00 - 10:15

Ukulele 101 - Jumpin’ Jim Beloff (main auditorium)

The Baritone Ukulele - 3 Ukes in one (WS-1)

10:30 - 11:45

The Uke in Black - Stuart Fuchs (main auditorium)

Play by Ear (ear training 201) - Cathy Fink (WS-1)

Game of Ukes - Pete Kennedy (WS-2)

11:45 - 1:00

Lunch/Open mic (tent)

1:00 - 2:15

Something in the Way She Ukes - Pete Kennedy (main auditorium)

12th Street Rag & Rockin’ the Uke - Marcy Marxer (WS-1)

Songwriting on Four Strings - Honor finnegan (WS-2)

2:30 - 3:45

A Funky Uke Time - Stuart Fuchs (main auditorium)

Beginning Fingerpicking - Cathy Fink (WS-1)

4:00 - 5:15

Strum Along With Jumpin’ Jim (main auditorium)

5:15 - 7:00

Dinner/Open mic/Jamming (tent)

oooooh i can't wait... See you there!

note to self: do not bring wallet because the force will be strong and you don't want to 'accidentally' buy another uke like last year :p

Top Bottom