Uke New Jersey

ScooterD35

Reaction score
Ok, now that I've signed and sent the contract (and the deposit) I can share this.

On August 30 & 31, Labor Day weekend, The Folk Project will be hosting a small Ukulele Festival in Morristown, NJ.

We'll start out on Friday night with a screening of Mighty Uke followed by some Q&A and a performance by Jim and Liz Beloff!

Saturday will be a full day of workshops, Open Mics, Jams and camaraderie capped of with an evening concert with headliner James Hill!

More performers will likely be added (as soon as I get the budget finalized) and more details will be forthcoming soon.

Stay tuned...

Scooter

Okay, some new info and details like pricing.

This afternoon I booked Victoria Vox for this little soiree! So...

The Folk Project Special Concerts presents: Uke New Jersey! (a mini festival)

On Friday evening Aug. 30 and all day and night Saturday August 31 Folk Project Special Concerts will hold a mini Ukulele festival at the Morristown Unitarian Fellowship Hall 20 Normandy Heights Rd. Morristown, NJ.

Featuring a Friday night screening of the documentary Mighty Uke and a concert with Jim and Liz Beloff and the incomparable Victoria Vox. We follow up starting Saturday morning with a day full of workshops, jams, vendors, open mics and tons of camaraderie. Then we cap it all off with a Saturday evening concert featuring two full sets by brilliant singer-songwriter and ukulele virtuoso James Hill, accompanied by the extraordinary cellist Anne Davison.

Advance ticket prices: $15 Friday, $65 Saturday, $75 combo ~ After August 9th: $20 Friday, $75 Saturday, $85 combo

Tickets will be available via paypal at folk project.org or in person any Friday night at The Minstrel Concert Series (at MUF) next week.

Questions? call 908-229-1214

I can't tell you how excited I am about this! The venue, The Morristown Unitarian Fellowship, is an old mansion to which they added a small 180 seat auditorium. That means we sell out at 180 people. The grounds are very nice and there is actually a labyrinth on the property. Plenty of room for all of our festival festivities!

Scooter

This sounds like tons of fun, and the price is right.
I'm 90% I'm in. If you live around there, I might ask you for an inexpensive, decent hotel.

I just realized it is Labor Day weekend and I am busy Saturday so that means I won't be around on Friday either. BUMMED......let me see if I can figure some stuff out to hopefully make it.

How are things going with this? How many people signed up? How are you advertising it?
Maybe you should get some of us to advertise it in our areas.

Just booked the last act today (a Celtic group with a Tiple up front) and finalized the flyers and tickets. Our publicity committee is sending out info on Tuesday and tickets should be available on the web (via paypal) by Wednesday.

I'll post links to all web sites as soon as they're up.

This will be a very cool event. The site is a Mansion that was built in 1912.

http://www.muuf.org/AboutUs.html#building

We rent their 180 seat auditorium for our regular Friday night concert series. This, of course, means that we are limited to 180 attendees.

http://www.folkproject.org

Scooter

The site is up (web master is working on pictures) and the ticket links are active!

See post #13.

Scooter

Last edited:
Ohhhh if nothing is planned I could make the all day Saturday! Keeping my fingers crossed!! Any work shops lined up yet?

Ok, all new web page with pictures, links, active ticket buttons. There's a link to a pdf flyer if you want to print some up to hand out to your friends!

Tickets have already started selling and we sell out at 180 people. Early-bird discount through August 9th.

http://www.folkproject.org/ukefest/ukefest.shtml

Workshops aren't finalized yet but there will be at least one 1 hour workshop by each performer as well as one for beginners at the start of the day on Saturday. We want to make sure that we cover all playing levels, songwriting with the Ukulele and Jack Rickenbach from Celtic Spirit will be doing an introduction to the Tiple.

Scooter

This looks really interesting. I would be coming from NYC and like many NYers, no car. Is there a list of cab companies and hotels or bed and breakfasts possibly in walking distance somewhere?

The site is minutes away from the Morristown train station and we can probably arrange rides. I'm working on a special rate for a nearby hotel as well.

Scooter

I am definitely interested in the rate and any kind of ride share that may go on.

I bought my ticket this morning and I'm excited. I'm thinking about making a Web site where people can go to find ride/room shares. People would be able to post that they can drive and how many spaces they have, and others could look for people driving from their area.

I don't know if it's something that would be fully-functional in time, so in the meantime I'd volunteer to keep track of all that manually, if people want to use me as a central repository. shawn@milochik.com

Hopefully some kind of site will get done, but at least in the meantime people can start making plans.

So far the cheapest rate for a decent hotel in the area is about $100. Someone else on the committee is trying to negotiate a special rate.

In other news...

Tom Walsh, author of The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument That Helped Create a Guitar Giant, is local. We had a great conversation the other day and he will be there, hopefully with copies to sell. We're working on another aspect of this development but I don't want to say anything until it's a done deal.

Stay tuned...

Scooter

Looks like a fun event. Thanks for all the info.

Top Bottom