Uke Review- Solid Koa Tenor

unlucky07

Reaction score
I'm kinda excited because i've never done a review. Please excuse any mistakes:rolleyes: Here goes.

Back story first: I answered a craigslist posting that seemed interesting. It was promising something that seemed too good to be true. "Ukulele Koa Wood" for an amazing price. As you can imagine I was wary of it considering how much other Koa Ukes are. At the same time I am a gluton for punishment so I decided to go.

I met Joe, who says he was selling Ukes that his cousin, a Luthier that lives in Kapolei, Hawaii. I asked to see a Soprano Uke but he proceded to show me all his Ukes. It sounds cliched but, I was blown away. I tried all three sizes, but I ended up walking away with a Tenor Koa Uke. Here is the review and some pictures of my new baby!!!:D

What it looks like.

076.JPG

072.JPG

The wood is beautiful. According to Joe the front, back and sides are made of solid Koa. The fretboard is Rosewood. Grover Friction tuners. I've been looking for any flaws but the construction along with its gloss finish is excelent. I've always drooled over the Kamakas and the Koolau's at my Uke store and this easily matches (and since it is my baby now even surpasses )what I have seen in the past.

As far as sound, well this Uke just sounds good. It has good volume and it has a nice mellow sound to it. I'm not sure what kind of strings are on it but it gives the Uke a nice beautiful sound. The fretboard feels nice, the spacing of the frets are comfortable. The action on it is great. No unwanted sounds. When picking, the notes resonates. I am having a hardtime trying to explain it, I'll try to get a video of it out ASAP.

I can't say enough about how much I love this Uke. I would really suggest that if you are looking for a quality Hawaiian made Solid Koa Uke, from a Luthier with 20 years of experience with a Hawaiian Uke company, AND with a good price... well... you can't go wrong with this.

They are still finalizing the name of the Ukes, but if you want more pics or are interested in more details just PM me and I'll give you the details.

I hope this does not come across as a sales pitch. I just want everyone to have an opportunity to feel what I feel right now sitting next to my Uke.

Hey, did the guy you bought it from lived in San Diego. I know a Joe who's cousin makes ukes in hawaii that he sells for him as well! If so...:shaka:small world, I'm gonna let him know the ukes are now known on UU!

I'm kinda excited because i've never done a review. Please excuse any mistakes:rolleyes: Here goes.

Back story first: I answered a craigslist posting that seemed interesting. It was promising something that seemed too good to be true. "Ukulele Koa Wood" for an amazing price. As you can imagine I was wary of it considering how much other Koa Ukes are. At the same time I am a gluton for punishment so I decided to go.

I met Joe, who says he was selling Ukes that his cousin, a Luthier that lives in Kapolei, Hawaii. I asked to see a Soprano Uke but he proceded to show me all his Ukes. It sounds cliched but, I was blown away. I tried all three sizes, but I ended up walking away with a Tenor Koa Uke. Here is the review and some pictures of my new baby!!!:D

The wood is beautiful. According to Joe the front, back and sides are made of solid Koa. The fretboard is Rosewood. Grover Friction tuners. I've been looking for any flaws but the construction along with its gloss finish is excelent. I've always drooled over the Kamakas and the Koolau's at my Uke store and this easily matches (and since it is my baby now even surpasses )what I have seen in the past.

As far as sound, well this Uke just sounds good. It has good volume and it has a nice mellow sound to it. I'm not sure what kind of strings are on it but it gives the Uke a nice beautiful sound. The fretboard feels nice, the spacing of the frets are comfortable. The action on it is great. No unwanted sounds. When picking, the notes resonates. I am having a hardtime trying to explain it, I'll try to get a video of it out ASAP.

I can't say enough about how much I love this Uke. I would really suggest that if you are looking for a quality Hawaiian made Solid Koa Uke, from a Luthier with 20 years of experience with a Hawaiian Uke company, AND with a good price... well... you can't go wrong with this.

They are still finalizing the name of the Ukes, but if you want more pics or are interested in more details just PM me and I'll give you the details.

I hope this does not come across as a sales pitch. I just want everyone to have an opportunity to feel what I feel right now sitting next to my Uke.

looks like ....ahem..... a Koa Pili Koko not a Koa Ukulele.....but then again thats just my eyes a looking....

i was thinking the same thing, but could be something else

looks like ....ahem..... a Koa Pili Koko not a Koa Ukulele.....but then again thats just my eyes a looking....

Way to burst bubbles. :p

Too good to be true is right I guess. Early prototype? Stolen uke blueprints? or maybe it's just a normal KPK production model, and we can't see the headstock logo with those small images. All I know is I'm confused.

Well... I just got a message from a very trusted member of our board and informed me that the guy used to work for Kelii and he thinks he is using Koa pili Koko acacia instead of real solid Koa.:eek: He is more of an expert than I am so I will have to listen to his wisdom.

If this is the case... my bad:(!!! I got a little but excited about my buy. I will have to be a bit more careful before I review something. I guess it was too good to be true. Sorry if I was misrepresenting something. But I will stick with what I originally said... Still got it cheaper than the Koa pili Koko tebirs and man... I love my new baby! :rolleyes:

As long as you still like it regardless of what you've learned about it, it's a good buy.

hahaha your name actually suites you hahaha unlucky07, dont worry bout it dude, im glad to hear that the kpk had u fooled for being a koa, that just tells u how good those ukes are, cant wait to get one, plz still make up a video theres like 2 on youtube but non with a decent song being played (or in that matter a song beign played longer then 10 seconds) :shaka:

It doesnt matter if its the not made of the wood you thought it was from.. As long as you like it.

from what I can see on the pics, I think it looks great...

If you like the sound and looks... Theres no problem....

I would also love to see a Video review.... :shaka:

not koa....not made in hawaii..at the price a great ukulele but shouldnt have to misrepresent to sell...

So the guy you bought it from, did he live in San Diego?

:confused:
Well... I just got a message from a very trusted member of our board and informed me that the guy used to work for Kelii and he thinks he is using Koa pili Koko acacia instead of real solid Koa.:eek: He is more of an expert than I am so I will have to listen to his wisdom.

If this is the case... my bad:(!!! I got a little but excited about my buy. I will have to be a bit more careful before I review something. I guess it was too good to be true. Sorry if I was misrepresenting something. But I will stick with what I originally said... Still got it cheaper than the Koa pili Koko tebirs and man... I love my new baby! :rolleyes:

i'd take the matter further - thats false advertising!!! how much did you pay, caus you can get a kpk tenor for under $300USD>>???

hahaha your name actually suites you hahaha unlucky07, dont worry bout it dude, im glad to hear that the kpk had u fooled for being a koa, that just tells u how good those ukes are, cant wait to get one, plz still make up a video theres like 2 on youtube but non with a decent song being played (or in that matter a song beign played longer then 10 seconds) :shaka:
Check out Rayan's vids. He plays a KPK, at least in one vid. His youtube is boss79 or sommat.

Congrats on the new uke, I love it's looks.

i'd take the matter further - thats false advertising!!! how much did you pay, caus you can get a kpk tenor for under $300USD>>???

He said, the guy thinks he's using! not is....unlucky, if you let me know if this is the same guy from San Diego, then I can find out for you if it is true or not! We might be talking about the same guy!

He said, the guy thinks he's using! not is....unlucky, if you let me know if this is the same guy from San Diego, then I can find out for you if it is true or not! We might be talking about the same guy!

Wow... who knew that my post would bring this much attention :eek:

Mmanalo... I think it is the same guy. The guy's name is Joe and lives in San Diego, off of Sorrento Valley exit.

Wow... who knew that my post would bring this much attention :eek:

Mmanalo... I think it is the same guy. The guy's name is Joe and lives in San Diego, off of Sorrento Valley exit.

hahaha...it sure is, well according to him..his connection used to work for those companies and then decided to break off and start his own thing. Wether or not he stole the blueprints or whatever, I have no clue nor will I ask! But i will ask what is it that it's made of! I'll keep you updated, I'll probably see him this weekend cus I'm thinking about getting me a tenor but cheaper than 300...it's a family thang!

Top Bottom