Ukecalypsolele

Titchtheclown

Reaction score
Ukecalypsolele. Is an entirely made up word that got zero hits on google. To put that into context ukulelephant got several even before I built my version. My first thought is for a uke with a steel pan resonator. Any other dumb ideas out there?
Any ideas on how to make reasonably chromatic small pans?

You need to get out more.

There is nowhere to go out in Canberra. At this time of year it is cold and wet and miserable. Sane people who live in Canberra dream of tropical islands and calypso at this time of year. Unless they can go fishing for some trout or skiing.
A calypso flavoured ukulele. Similar to a lili'u or 8 string, to get the jangly sound of the steel drums? Inlays with references to Caribbean islands?

You should try living in the UK.

Go out into any City centre and its full if youngsters getting as drunk as they can as fast as they can, then throwing up everywhere.

Anti social behaviour is rife.

All our Police do is work out how to fill in the paperwork that makes them look good.

Our NHS and Public Services are in sire straights

Everyplace other than the Pub shuts up at 17:00.

Our weather is cr4p.

I am now depressed.

There is nowhere to go out in Canberra. At this time of year it is cold and wet and miserable. Sane people who live in Canberra dream of tropical islands and calypso at this time of year. Unless they can go fishing for some trout or skiing.
A calypso flavoured ukulele. Similar to a lili'u or 8 string, to get the jangly sound of the steel drums? Inlays with references to Caribbean islands?

Your description of Canberra is only slightly inaccurate. The trout season closes from June to September.

Ukecalypsolele. Is an entirely made up word that got zero hits on google. To put that into context ukulelephant got several even before I built my version. My first thought is for a uke with a steel pan resonator. Any other dumb ideas out there?
Any ideas on how to make reasonably chromatic small pans?
I am 2 minds about this, as you can see.View attachment 119256View attachment 119257Dumb or Genius?

You should try living in the UK.

Go out into any City centre and its full if youngsters getting as drunk as they can as fast as they can, then throwing up everywhere.

Anti social behaviour is rife.

All our Police do is work out how to fill in the paperwork that makes them look good.

Our NHS and Public Services are in sire straights

Everyplace other than the Pub shuts up at 17:00.

Our weather is cr4p.

I am now depressed.

I got out in 1967 went to NZ and never regretted it for one minute.

Sane people who live in Canberra
When I lived in Queensland we were all of the opinion that sane people do not live in Canberra. Only people associated with the government. Have things changed?
Miguel

Crikey I never realised I had started a thread on how bad Canberra weather is.
I don't think you need to worry too much about how comfy my lifestyle is. The median salary being the highest in Australia goes a long way to explain why we go to nice restaurants and our more than pleasant homes or suburban clubs at night rather than hang out at sleazy dive bars that don't exist because no one goes there.
Back to the topic. I have looked around at a few hang drum, hand pan and steel pan building and tank/toungue drums and these drums I saw while I was in Bali look like they are closest to what a custom made small steel pan might sound like. The resonance across notes and overtones however make me think the only way I might get that sound is through using a spider bridge across all the notes on the hang drum or a tank/toungue drum which are not as isolated.

http://balidrumfactory.com/HangDrum.php
Or
http://balidrumfactory.com/HapiDrum.php

A quick trip to Ubud to check them out /get away from Canberra looks tempting too.

I don't have any contributions to make regarding the subject of the thread, but I have to say that your owl and elephant ukuleles are particularly awesome.

Top Bottom