Ukulele as a gift

Bamboleo

Hello!
I've been playing the guitar for a few years, but I now nothing about the ukulelele, and yet I want to buy it as a gift for my SO. It is a person who can play instruments very well (guitar music school and 7 years of experience in playing the soprano ukulelele).
I've been interested in buying the Arrius UK 1500 model. I like it very much in terms of design and overall performance, the sound is also very cool. I wanted to ask if someone had a chance to play it and could share their opinion, because these are not cheap things and I would like to be sure of a good choice before I make a final decision.
Thanks in advance!

MJB

I would suggest that whatever you get to make sure they have a good return policy. Also, insist that your SO be honest about how they feel about the instrument. If it were me I would get a gift certificate and let your SO choose the instrument.

Jerryc41

I would suggest that whatever you get to make sure they have a good return policy. Also, insist that your SO be honest about how they feel about the instrument. If it were me I would get a gift certificate and let your SO choose the instrument.

A ukulele is a rather personal item. I can't imagine anyone buying a uke for me that I would love. I would tell this person that you want to buy a uke and have your SO decide on the make and model.

RandyBonnette

Originally Posted by Bamboleo

I need to find an ukulele for a gift. Are there any good alternatives to Arrius UK 1500? I found a couple of cheap reviews on the custom writing service about types of wood and their durablity.

Hi,
There are different wood types and the prices differ correspondingly. You can consider a Pono ATSH-PC Tenor Pro-Classic Acacia or a Kumu ukulele. I bought a Kumu for my son, it's his first ukulele.

UkingViking

This is not a brand of ukulele mentioned a lot on this forum. And the specs you can Google dont cover the info you would usually find on serious ukulele vendors websites.
I sure never heard of this brand before. It might just be a small scale production, but without without references I wouldnt buy this expensive an instrument.

Also, I would be very cautious about buying a ukulele for someone else. If you play guitar, you would probably also want to choose your next guitar rather than have someone pick something fancy with another scale length and body size that you are used to.

Did your SO specifically wish for this ukulele, or an new ukulele with a specific description?

Edit: If your SO was playing a cheap entry level ukulele, buying something nicer with similar qualities could be a risky but viable option. But with 7 years experience your SO has probably allready upgraded to a point where it takes first hand knowledge to know what to got for next.

Last edited:

Kenn2018

UU VIP
Yeah, I would be very cautious about buying a uke for my wife. Even with a lot of research, it's hard to know if you're going to hit the exact uke they will fall in love with, or be wide of the mark. Plus, setup, strings, case, tuner, etc.

Better to give a gift certificate and let them choose. You can advise, and help them compare. But, ultimately, it's better if they have a say in the selection.

Best of luck.

Graham Greenbag

Hello!
I've been playing the guitar for a few years, but I now nothing about the ukulelele, and yet I want to buy it as a gift for my SO. It is a person who can play instruments very well (guitar music school and 7 years of experience in playing the soprano ukulelele).
I've been interested in buying the Arrius UK 1500 model. I like it very much in terms of design and overall performance, the sound is also very cool. I wanted to ask if someone had a chance to play it and could share their opinion, because these are not cheap things and I would like to be sure of a good choice before I make a final decision.
Thanks in advance!

SO being significant other, a name for a partner

The person you’re talking about will already have good instruments and maybe you might mention to us what they are. It’s unlikely that the brand and model you suggest will be of any value to your SO - I’d ditch the idea - and I explain below. I also note that the Uke you mention has a rather significant price too.

If my SO (my Wife) bought me a Uke it would almost certainly be one that didn’t fit my particular tastes. Best for your SO to have the money to get what she wants or to visit a shop with her. Failing that I think that an Outdoor Uke would be a nice present for any player to receive - nice as a present to give or receive though for myself I’d buy something else for the playing purposes it meets.
https://www.outdoorukulele.com/collections/ukuleles

The op hasn't been back since his first (and last) post...

Yes, and the OP was quite a time ago too. Still, the principle is there: beware of buying expensive instruments as presents.

Last edited: