Ukulele/ Bluegrass festival?

Rllink

Reaction score
Next weekend I'm going to Minnesota for a combination Ukulele/Bluegrass festival that is requiring a vaccination card. I add the last part there because I was holding back on it before they made that announcement. Yes, a Ukulele/Bluegrass festival. You don't see a lot of that. Minnesotans are tolerant and inclusive people, but regardless, in the past the two have kept their distance. I'm going to try to shuffle back and forth. Not with the uke, I'll have a big old dreadnaught bluegrass guitar along as well.

The ukulele side is the GMUG. I've done it several times and it is the best festival I've gone to, with great workshops and star studded presenters. In the past I've always stayed on my side of the tracks. I've been told that a few have crossed over and back with no injuries or illnesses and have been encouraged by some to give it a go. My wife says she is staying with the happy folks who don't sing songs about doing hard time, cheating on their spouses or killing their lovers. I'm curious though. Anyway, I have all my workshops planned and timed. I'm hoping to come home with a lot of new stuff to work on.

Last edited:
Sounds like fun! I say embrace both!

When I went two years ago it was fun to see some of the Bluegrass acts. Though I did tire of the electric saw after a few songs. A lot of spontaneous Bluegrass jams going on in the Hotel. Not so much with ukes. Lil' Rev had some excellent seminars and an outstanding performance. All-in-all an excellent program.

Wish I could play at a ukulele festival!

I've been to the event several times now. Even staying at the venue so I don't have to deal with travel time.....maybe a whole 25 minutes or so one way. I bring most of my food to keep the expenses reasonable to me. The venue food is fine...just takes a little more time to have someone help you out with all that.
It's the best event in my area. I do like the music. I have enjoyed the open and lead jams for more beginner/intermediate types as you get a broader selection of music. The yellow and blue books have some good songs but I'd say those collections are not my musical focus. The uke sessions and performers have been top notch. And I got to see Verlon Thompson! I think if you know your instrument backwards and forwards and you know your I, IV, & V and so on you'd be just fine playing and having fun with anybody at the event. I've had a few issues with a booming low g so I try to bring at least two ukes to the learning sessions.

Hosted by the Minnesota Bluegrass and Old Time Music Association. Check 'em out!

Don't think I will be there this year, unless something changes during the coming week.

If you can make it, have some fun!

I've been to the event several times now. Even staying at the venue so I don't have to deal with travel time.....maybe a whole 25 minutes or so one way. I bring most of my food to keep the expenses reasonable to me. The venue food is fine...just takes a little more time to have someone help you out with all that.
It's the best event in my area. I do like the music. I have enjoyed the open and lead jams for more beginner/intermediate types as you get a broader selection of music. The yellow and blue books have some good songs but I'd say those collections are not my musical focus. The uke sessions and performers have been top notch. And I got to see Verlon Thompson! I think if you know your instrument backwards and forwards and you know your I, IV, & V and so on you'd be just fine playing and having fun with anybody at the event. I've had a few issues with a booming low g so I try to bring at least two ukes to the learning sessions.

Hosted by the Minnesota Bluegrass and Old Time Music Association. Check 'em out!

Don't think I will be there this year, unless something changes during the coming week.

If you can make it, have some fun!
We come up from Iowa so we stay there at the hotel and eat there as well.

When I went two years ago it was fun to see some of the Bluegrass acts. Though I did tire of the electric saw after a few songs. A lot of spontaneous Bluegrass jams going on in the Hotel. Not so much with ukes. Lil' Rev had some excellent seminars and an outstanding performance. All-in-all an excellent program.
The bluegrass folks do jam in the halls a lot, ukes not so much. But Choirguy and I have found opportunities to sit down somewhere and play in years past. Last time we got three or four people together. I mean, there's nothing stopping the ukulele people from finding some place to sit down and play. Ukulele people are sometimes shy about mixing with others I think.

Top Bottom