Ukulele - General Considerations

If I was you’re friend I’d go to Hawaiian Music Supply. What an experience if nothing else.

I think this is great advice for your friend:

Pretty everything covered in that video to get your friend started.

I would also maybe send them an email before you go and let them know your budget and what’s in stock so you can do some research before you go.

Enjoy 😎

Great video (for me too) - Thanks!

If I was you’re friend I’d go to Hawaiian Music Supply. What an experience if nothing else.

I think this is great advice for your friend:

Pretty everything covered in that video to get your friend started.

I would also maybe send them an email before you go and let them know your budget and what’s in stock so you can do some research before you go.

Enjoy 😎

I had many opportunities to go to Hawaii and was introduced to ukulele there. Good advice is to visit factories and many uke stores. If they go to Waikiki, several stores are in walking distance from beach so can easily be visited during beach time. There is little value in buying a China made uke on a visit to Hawaii, and if they go to stores they should notice the difference.

As for your list it's a good start but can be improved by toning down personal opinions and common marketing myths.

Hey all.

A friend is going to Hawaii in a couple weeks and is considering picking up a Ukulele while he's over there. I wrote up a quick overview of considerations when choosing an instrument. He's looking a high mid to low upper level instruments so it's a little biased towards that group of instruments.

Full of my personal opinion and likely not without a few mistakes. Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong or not exactly right. Just posting it here in case it might also help someone else. I'm not claiming to be an absolute authority. I'm new to Ukulele but have been playing guitar for decades.

Hope it helps someone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't spend too much time talking about tonal differences - check out these channels for some good demos

Hawaii Music Supply - YouTube

Southern Ukulele Store

Size: Soprano (Tiny), Concert (Small), Tenor (Perfect Size?), Baritone (Not Huge but largest)

Look at Tenor. They’re a good size - way smaller than guitar but way bigger than a Soprano. Concert are popular as well and not ridiculously small. In the last several years Tenor has overtaken concert in terms of instruments sold.

Tenor are still voiced high relative to a guitar but they have a fair amount of midrange - especially with a Low G string.

Tuning / Low G-High G

Baritone is tuned like the 4 highest strings on a guitar - DGBE. All others tuned the same - GCEA.

Traditionally those GCEA instruments are in “re-entrant” tuning with the G string higher than C but can also be converted to a low G so it’s more like a guitar (Low, Higher, Higher, Higher vs High, Lower, Higher, Higher). Usually you just need a different G string (you can get Low G sets of strings or buy that individually. Some strings are a little too big for the existing smaller diameter high G nut slot and will require a little bit of filing to fit (which is a one time thing a shop can do for you) - other strings might fit right out of the gate (usually a wound metal string vs nylon/fluorocarbon). Basically it’s easy and you can generally go back and forth - specifically if you use a wound Low G.

Strings: Nylon/Nylgut vs Fluorocarbon

Different strings have different tactile and tonal properties. Generally Nylon are larger in diameter than Fluorocarbon. Fluorocarbon are brighter and more “modern” sounding. You’ll also see colored strings - Black, Brown, Grey - and those are generally considered to be more mellow than the white/clear versions. There are some differences in stretch and tension as well. This is a preference thing and you might choose strings to accentuate or moderate properties of an instrument. Don’t think too much about this - just be aware it exists.

Satin vs Gloss Finish

Do you like shiny or matte? Gloss finish can accentuate wood grain patterns and can look a little fancy. You may like that or not. Some people say a thin matte finish is more resonant. I would definitely get a Satin finish neck - your hand can stick to a gloss finish if it's sweaty. Gloss finish offers a little more protection than Satin/Matte.

Laminate vs Solid Wood

Laminate construction is cheaper, more Durable, and less prone to cracking from low humidity. 40% humidity is the minimum level a solid wood instrument is happy with. You can get room humidifiers and case humidifies to help with that. Florida will always be comfortably above that. High elevations in the American West in Winter? Maybe get a humidifier. Solid Wood generally has a more complex tonal palette and will be physically more resonant - you’ll feel it vibrate against your body. Mid to High end instruments are nearly always solid wood. Some lower mid range offerings might have Solid Top and Laminate Back and Sides. The ukulele top is where the majority of the sound and that sounds timbre will comes from.

Wood: Koa, Acacia, Mango, Mahogany, Spruce

Typical Solid woods you’ll see. Koa is the original and traditional wood - it's also generally most expensive. Acacia is a species of Koa but usually sourced outside Hawaii. Mango has a really interesting grain pattern that you’ll either love or hate. All 3 of those types of wood generally have a lot of high frequency content. Mahogany is a darker wood and generally considered to produce warmer tones. Spruce is a light colored wood generally without a pronounced grain pattern. Tonally it has a lot of clarity and high frequency content. It’ll make your ukulele look like a mini guitar. I’m going to say the best instrument for the $ is going to be Mahogany or Spruce. Koa, Acacia and - to a lesser degree - Mango are going to be pricier options. Personal preference - aesthetics and tonality (remember strings can be used to accentuate/moderate)

Shape: Pineapple vs Guitar

Pineapple has a unique look. Generally regarded as a little louder and fuller. Romero Creations have sort of a hybrid pineapple shape that sorta feels like the ukulele equivalent of a Gibson Flying V or Explorer to me - they’re kinda cool but also kinda niche. Some people say they're a little harder to hold.
As someone that’s still a new Ukulele player I’ve come to realize the best Uke is the Uke that makes you want to play. So hopefully he finds that by strumming them in store. The three most important factors for me are the size of the instrument when I’m holding it (started with a concert but now only play tenor), strings (started with nylgut now I’ll only play fluorocarbon), and nut width/string space. I know if I had kept my list to those three short things and realized everything else is just extra it would have helped me tremendously. Of course I’m just speaking from my own perspective. However this could be helpful if he feels overwhelmed when in store.

I’d also highly suggest to him Uketropolis along with the podcast when he is ready to start learning. Best thing I’ve ever come across since I started playing this year.

Top Bottom