UKULELE GODSPELL contest

ukulelegal

Reaction score
far away from others who play ukulele...it sucks
I am holding a Youtube contest. :)

Theme: Christian hymns/spirituals/anthems etc...
some examples would be: Jesu Joy of man's desiring, Amazing Grace, I went down to the river to pray, Spirit in the Sky, Just a closer walk with thee, Be thou my vision...these are just examples and cover many genera...surprise me with something unexpected~

Number of Entries: Up to 3 entries per person.

Video Rules:
You will need a Youtube account to participate.
Videos must be submitted to the Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/ukulelegodspell?feature=mhee

as a video response to MY video for the contest.

Must be a new video unpublished prior to this contest.
You must introduce your video as: This is my submission to the Ukulelegodspell channel contest. With title of song included.
You must appear in your video.
You may use other footage/photos/animation etc... in combination with your appearance. You may sing or you may do a purely recognizable instrumental piece. The more creative the better~
Please avoid copyrighted material
(i.e. no dubbing with another artist without permission, etc.)
Must prominently feature you or your video partners on ukulele.
Additional instruments are permitted, as are unlimited overdubbing, multi-tracking, picture-in-picture, special effects, etc. Collaborations are certainly permissible but there is only ONE prize, which will be awarded to the individual submitting the video.

Prize: Ukulele up to 300$ (including postage if any)~ Ukulele will be your choice from either Ebay or Elderly Instruments.

Submissions Accepted Beginning August 1- September 30.

Contest winner will be announced on or before October 12th 2011.

Voting will be people's choice via comments section of the Youtube channel. In order to vote for a video you must direct people to go to the Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ukulelegodspell?feature=mhee

and post their choice in the comments section. I will tally the winner from there.

All contestants will receive a consolation prize to be determined at end of contest.

cool idea for a contest!

the other Christian music contest was ending when i was slammed at work and couldn't really do a video that i would have liked. but i'm going to try something for this one!

thanks for hosting one!

psa 34:1-3

Couple of questions- my wife and I want to do a Carter Family tune, but we are not sure it is a Gospel. It was originally recorded by Rev. F.W.McGee in 1930, but credited to A.P Carter in 1941. The tune is about the new Jerusalem of revelations, so I figure it fits, but I want to be sure...we do a great job of it and are ready to share :)
Next up- video says avoid copy writes. Surely Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit In The Sky" (gotta love it when a Petaluma boy makes it to the big-time) is still under copy write...as I am sure all the Carter Family Tunes. If I take the risk of having my Tube channel shut down (oh well), is it OK considering the date?
Thanks
Dave

Egads when I saw the title my first inpression was that it was a cover contest for songs from the the death metal band Godspell, and I couldnt understand why anyone would want to do a cover of that on ukulele rofl

fantastic prize! So tempting but I think im all hymned out from that last contest lol good luck all

Hi Dave, as much as I love the Carters....I don't think that anything that could cause an copyright issue is good...Unless there is a way to secure the use of the song. I know that some people have been able to get permission to cover songs in the past. I will accept entries that have permission to use the song or originals and public domain only.

Thanks for the quick response on the Carter tune- I will figure out how to get permission on it. Obscure little title, but I have the record so I may be able to figure it out- if not, there are lots of great ones in the public domain.
Unfortunately, most of A.P.s tunes probably were sourced from places older that they are credited (and it gets really muddy), but the tune I want to do is 1927- misses the cut off by five years. Might want to take "Spirit in the Sky" out of the examples- pretty sure Norman is living off the proceeds from that tune ;)

lol... sorry you won't be entering~

I see you are allowing originals??

gee I have yet to write an original song on the uke, and I have a lot of life inspiration to draw from.
That might be a good thing, if I can come up with something worthy.
But I feel inadaquate to put into song myself what i would like, to try and express things of spirituality that which I find inexpresseable. Especialy without it sound trite or cliche. I would like to submit something though. I'll have to give it some thought. I'm not sure the formula for writing hymns (if there is one even?) never done that either. Im not realy into writing a 'praise and worship' type song.

at any rate, here is something to inspire all the contestants :)

The Psalms

Praise for God's Righteousness
A Psalm.

1 O sing unto the LORD a new song;
for he hath done marvelous things:
his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.

2 The LORD hath made known his salvation:
his righteousness hath he openly showed in the sight of the heathen.

3 He hath remembered his mercy and his truth
toward the house of Israel:
all the ends of the earth have seen
the salvation of our God.

4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth:
make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.

5 Sing unto the LORD with the harp; (and ukulele?)
with the harp, and the voice of a psalm.

6 With trumpets and sound of cornet
make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King.

7 Let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof;
the world, and they that dwell therein.

8 Let the floods clap their hands:
let the hills be joyful together

9 before the LORD;
for he cometh to judge the earth:
with righteousness shall he judge the world,
and the people with equity.

Hmmm, oh, how I hope I get some time to put together a couple of videos. It'll be fun to do the contest from the other end. :)

John

Top Bottom