Ukulele history in Japan

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I was looking at Kiwaya's website, and saw some text about "the ukulele's bitter history in Japan". I had no idea what that meant (still don't); maybe it was just a translation error. Maybe it relates to Western music being banned in Japan during WWII, when there were many uke bands there, possibly playing Western music?
Screenshot_20220811-113800_Chrome.jpg

Anyway, seeking an answer, I found this article about the history of uke in Japan, and thought it was very interesting, especially since I have a couple of MIJ ukes..

Last edited:
I was looking at Kiwaya's website, and saw some text about "the ukulele's bitter history in Japan". I had no idea what that meant (still don't); maybe it was just a translation error. Maybe it relates to Western music being banned in Japan during WWII, when there were many uke bands there, possibly playing Western music?
View attachment 142479

Anyway, seeking an answer, I found this article about the history of uke in Japan, and thought it was very interesting, especially since I have a couple of MIJ ukes..

Thanks what a nice article. There's a typo in the OP link that I fixed in the quote above.

Anyone know if Japan has more ukulele players than the USA? Japan has about 1/3 the population of the USA, but ukulele seems a lot more popular over there.

Anyone know if Japan has more ukulele players than the USA? Japan has about 1/3 the population of the USA, but ukulele seems a lot more popular over there.
Dunno, but somebody is looking at all this:

Interesting stuff. The article mentioned the Japanese focus on technical proficiency. I immediately thought of this performance by the top elementary band in Japan in 2009. They are performing the transcription of Leonard Bernstein's Slava. This piece would be a challenge at just about any level. Certainly, at best, an excellent HS band or college ensemble would have a challenge in putting this together. As you are watching it, keep in mind they are playing it from memory! I have seen this many times and it still blows me away.

Interesting stuff. The article mentioned the Japanese focus on technical proficiency. I immediately thought of this performance by the top elementary band in Japan in 2009. They are performing the transcription of Leonard Bernstein's Slava. This piece would be a challenge at just about any level. Certainly, at best, an excellent HS band or college ensemble would have a challenge in putting this together. As you are watching it, keep in mind they are playing it from memory! I have seen this many times and it still blows me away.

Yep! They're good, did you see the size of that Yamaha drum in the back right corner? I know the Japanese people are on the short side (especially the kids) but that's still a big drum!

Throughout the 1800s Hawaii was a busy supply point first for the very profitable trade of Pacific Northwest otter pelts to China and later for trade between San Francisco and China. Shipping lines offered frequent service for goods and travelers.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

"After Europeans and mainland Americans first arrived during the Kingdom of Hawaii period, the overall population of Hawaii—which until that time composed solely of Indigenous Hawaiians—fell dramatically. Many people of the Indigenous Hawaiian population died to foreign diseases, declining from 300,000 in the 1770s, to 60,000 in the 1850s, to 24,000 in 1920. Other estimates for the pre-contact population range from 150,000 to 1.5 million.[15] In 1923, 42% of the population was of Japanese descent, 9% was of Chinese descent, and 16% was native descent.[147] The population of Hawaii began to finally increase after an influx of primarily Asian settlers that arrived as migrant laborers at the end of the 19th century.[148]"

In the 1800s American industrialists clear cut Hawaiian forests to establish gigantic industrial scale plantations for sugar cane, canned pineapples, and cattle to be exported to the USA, Pacific Rim countries and Europe.

Companies needed to bring in huge numbers of workers because the native Hawaiian population had fallen by 90% and the survivors didn't really want to switch from their sylvan lifestyle to toil on plantations. Plantation owners were happy to encourage communities of contract workers and settlers and small businesses because it meant they did not need to provide supplies, transportation, housing, schools and infrastructure.

(Amongst them were Azores families displaced by agricultural disasters at home, and who introduced the machete aka ukulele to Hawaii.)

By the 1920s ukulele boom (as described in the Ukulele Magazine article) the Japanese community reached 200,000 and maintained robust linkages with relatives in Japan. The most successful immigrants could afford to travel, and to send children to Japan for schooling. The Japanese community enjoyed playing and making ukuleles as much as other Hawaiians, and naturally took ukuleles to Japan.

During WW2 the Japanese Americans in Hawaii were not sent to internment camps like those on the US West Coast. Which meant that at the end of the war they still owned their homes, possessions, and businesses and were prosperous and able to be part of the 1950s ukulele revival in Japan. Ukulele performers and teachers traveled frequently between Hawaii and Japan.

Interesting article!

The "bitter history" quote may refer to the American occupation of the Japanese mainland after World War 2. Wikipedia says 1 million US troops were stationed in Japan, under the command of General MacArthur. Officially, the occupation was 1945 to 1952, but large numbers of US troops were still stationed in Japan through the Korean War and Vietnam War eras. Even today, there are large US military bases in Okinawa. During the 1940s through 1960s, many Hawaii-born Japanese-American soldiers were stationed in Japan as translators. These soldiers brought their ukuleles to entertain themselves and to jam with other troops who sang or played guitars. The article mentions that Herb Ohta was a US Marine stationed in Japan during the Korean War. A lot of these jams happened in local nightclubs and many Japanese entertainers learned the ukulele from these occupying soldiers. I have to imagine that no matter how friendly the occupying soldiers try to be, a foreign military occupation is never a pleasant situation for the local civilian population. Even in modern times, the only news I hear in the USA about the US Army in Okinawa has to do US soldiers brutalizing local civilians.

Certainly things have changed significantly since the post-war occupation period.
The U.S. in no longer an occupying force. The U.S. and Japan are strong allies; quite different than being an occupying force.

As for brutalizing civilians in Okinawa, I'm assuming you are referring to previous crimes that have been committed there. This has certainly happened there but it's a mischaracterization to infer that brutalization by U.S. forces is a common or ongoing thing.

Crimes do occur in Japan. Perpetrated by foreigners as well as Japanese.
Japan is safer than many other places, but crimes do occur here.

Certainly things have changed significantly since the post-war occupation period.
The U.S. in no longer an occupying force. The U.S. and Japan are strong allies; quite different than being an occupying force.

As for brutalizing civilians in Okinawa, I'm assuming you are referring to previous crimes that have been committed there. This has certainly happened there but it's a mischaracterization to infer that brutalization by U.S. forces is a common or ongoing thing.

Crimes do occur in Japan. Perpetrated by foreigners as well as Japanese.
Japan is safer than many other places, but crimes do occur here.
The article refers to a period of "bitter history". I assume "history" means some time in the past.

The article refers to a period of "bitter history". I assume "history" means some time in the past.
I was referring to the conclusion that brutalization was currently taking place in Okinawa.

I was browsing and found this site:

I think, the bitter history mentioned here is probably the time ukulele was forgotten roughly around the 1970s.
According to Boo Takagi, one of the famous ukulele players in Japan known as a member of legendary Japanese comedy group, Ukulele somehow survived (not prohibited) even during WW2 as a Southern music, so the ukulele caught up very quickly after the war.
The ukulele craze (probably a second or third wave) began in the 1950s in Japan and that's exactly the time when Kiwaya started to sell the ukulele.
The Kiwaya is actually the trading company, the factory is known as Mitsuba gakki, and it seems that most of their ukulele is still manufactured there.
According to Mitsuba gakki there was a time when only Mitsuba and Kamaka remained to manufacture ukuleles to the global market; the ukulele craze seems to have burned down around the 1970s when rock'n roll dominated the music scene even here in Japan.

"During WW2 the Japanese Americans in Hawaii were not sent to internment camps like those on the US West Coast. Which meant that at the end of the war they still owned their homes, possessions, and businesses and were prosperous and able to be part of the 1950s ukulele revival in Japan. Ukulele performers and teachers traveled frequently between Hawaii and Japan."

OMG absolutely NOT true. Honouliuli, now part of Pu'uloa (Pearl Harbor) is the internment camp where local Japanese were taken. My ancestors were there, and I was born and raised on O'ahu. I know first-hand. I'd also like to add that native Hawaiians were also victimized during this time.

I think, the bitter history mentioned here is probably the time ukulele was forgotten roughly around the 1970s.
According to Boo Takagi, one of the famous ukulele players in Japan known as a member of legendary Japanese comedy group, Ukulele somehow survived (not prohibited) even during WW2 as a Southern music, so the ukulele caught up very quickly after the war.
The ukulele craze (probably a second or third wave) began in the 1950s in Japan and that's exactly the time when Kiwaya started to sell the ukulele.
The Kiwaya is actually the trading company, the factory is known as Mitsuba gakki, and it seems that most of their ukulele is still manufactured there.
According to Mitsuba gakki there was a time when only Mitsuba and Kamaka remained to manufacture ukuleles to the global market; the ukulele craze seems to have burned down around the 1970s when rock'n roll dominated the music scene even here in Japan.
If only the Beatles had done some songs with ukuleles!

During WW2 the segregated Japanese American 100/442 Regimental Combat Team (100 Infantry Battalion, 442 Infantry Regiment, 552 Artillery, 232 Engineer Combat) was the most decorated and highest casualty American regiment in the Europe campaign. It fought mostly in Italy and southern France. Officers considered some of its assignments extreme and cannon fodder.

Eventually 14,000 Japanese Americans served in the 100/442 (12,000 volunteers, 2000 draftees).

After the attack on Pearl Harbour naval base Japanese Americans were discharged from military service.

1300 discharged members of the Hawaii Territorial Guard were permitted to form a Varsity Victory Volunteers unit, which later became the 100 Infantry Battalion, and merged with 442 Infantry Regiment to form the 100/442 Regimental Combat Team.

442 Infantry Regiment started with volunteers (2686 from the Hawaii Territory and 1500 from mainland internment camps)

Internees in mainland camps had been required to complete a questionnaire including questions about their willingness to serve in combat in the US military, and willingness to swear an oath of allegiance to the USA. About 75% of internees agreed to both questions.

The US govt called on Japanese Americans for combat volunteers. The Hawaii Territory responded with 10,000 volunteers, and the rate for mainland internment camps was lower. Later, Japanese Americans were added to the combat draft.

Last edited:
Top Bottom