Show us your ukes!

Dino, that six-string double hole is sweet!

Also, the one your uncle made is quite pretty.

Hey Tad,
Thanks. Yeah, that double hole one was a suprise. All I knew is what the wood looked like raw. I just gave it to my friend and let him run with it. The one my uncle made is nice. And actually, the wood is really nice koa, but it has its challenges (he was kind of new making it and he doesnt play uke either).

My uke has only natural features :( guting has already displayed mine in a way:D

so thanks ^^

Wow...how did you get your uke to stand up in the desert all by itself like that. Good training!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha

Just gotta find an equally well trained bush.

Dude, that's a great shot!

Thanks! It really is beautiful here in the desert, despite what some locals think. But I guess that's the difference between people who live in the desert, and desert rats like me.

I'm totally jealous of your collections! Once I start doing the instrament some justice in playing it methinks I'll need another . . .

lanikailk1c06cea7.jpg

I just recently made the upgrade from my starter. a Leolani Super-Soprano that I really have no complaints about. (It sounds and plays pretty well for what it is. an inexpensive laminate, but we also went through a rack of ukes before we settled on that one.) to this a Lanikai LK-1C that I got from Ukulele4U off Ebay.

It was actually made by Kanile'a for Lanikai and almost the same thing as the Kanile'a K-1. It's just got one fewer frets, the bridge pins don't have dots. (And it may or may not have the TRU Bracing depending on the build date according to the email I got from Joe asking about it.) But it was also a lot cheaper than getting one made special.
I'm really digging it.

lanikailk1c06cea7.jpg

I just recently made the upgrade from my starter. a Leolani Super-Soprano that I really have no complaints about. (It sounds and plays pretty well for what it is. an inexpensive laminate, but we also went through a rack of ukes before we settled on that one.) to this a Lanikai LK-1C that I got from Ukulele4U off Ebay.

It was actually made by Kanile'a for Lanikai and almost the same thing as the Kanile'a K-1. It's just got one fewer frets, the bridge pins don't have dots. (And it may or may not have the TRU Bracing depending on the build date according to the email I got from Joe asking about it.) But it was also a lot cheaper than getting one made special.
I'm really digging it.

Nice Uke. I like the look of your soundboard. Nice pattern.

wow thats a nice ukulele. Lanikai seems to be moving on up now yeah? Fricking making solid koa ukes with the signature kanilea bridge pin feature. Thats awesome.

Uhoh, I impulse bought another one. I told myself I needed something small and portable, so I got a concert flea with "Ivy" design on it. Nothing fancy, just the plastic fretboard. I'll use aquilas so no worries about seeing the strings. I've played both versions of the neck and it ain't a big difference unless it is one of your main ukes.

I think I'm going to put the Risa uke-solid concert stick up for sale, but not yet, because the Pono isn't here - I'd be ukeless!

Uhoh, I impulse bought another one. I told myself I needed something small and portable, so I got a concert flea with "Ivy" design on it. Nothing fancy, just the plastic fretboard. I'll use aquilas so no worries about seeing the strings. I've played both versions of the neck and it ain't a big difference unless it is one of your main ukes.

I think I'm going to put the Risa uke-solid concert stick up for sale, but not yet, because the Pono isn't here - I'd be ukeless!

Doctor! Doctor! Sounds like another case of UAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's Kanile'a ukulele, how cool is that?

wow thats a nice ukulele. Lanikai seems to be moving on up now yeah? Fricking making solid koa ukes with the signature kanilea bridge pin feature. Thats awesome.

Actually, I think it's more used to be.

When Lanikai was setting up their uke line they contracted with Kanile'a to make a number of Hawaiian made, solid koa ukuleles for them for the top if their line. I think Kanile'a made something like 250 of them for Lanikai before they decided to concentrate on building their own brand. It really is a Kanile'a ukulele, just with the Lanikai name on the headstock, and more a new "old stock" instrument than brand spanking. (I'm not exactly sure when they stopped making them, but it's at least a couple years.)
I spent a couple of months researching before I decided that I wanted a Kanile'a, but they were a bit more than I wanted to spend. Then I read about them making the LK series for Lanikai. Finding one of these was the most economical way of getting essentially the instrument I wanted, but at a price I could better afford. It's going to have to be pretty much my main instrument for a long long while.

But before I bought it I emailed Kanile'a to ask if they'd had to change anything in their build to suit Lanikai and Joe emailed me back to say :

"Our Kanile’a and Lanikai models were built the exact same way. The only difference is that we have stopped making the Lanikai’s which makes them all collectables. We did not sacrifice any thing with those ‘ukulele. They all got our UV cured finish along with the Aquila Corde strings, and Nubone nut and saddle. The only difference might be the bracing. We switched to our TRU bracing system after most of the Lanikai’s were built depending on the building date."

There are still a few of these Lanikai LK's floating around on Ebay. At least one more concert and a couple of sopranos last time I looked. Great way to get a Kanile'a made instrument at a decent price if you don't mind not having the name to go with it.

Last edited:
I canceled that order for the Flea...

Because the Koa Flea is suddenly back in stock. I think it's a bit pricey really, except knowing how pricey koa itself is, and knowing how darn playable Flukes and Fleas are...and what with the dollar against the Euro, it's cheaper than the Pono.

W00T!

I'll have to sell some stuff, some watches and a Windows Mobile Smartphone I never use, and my Risa stick... but I'm not insane or anything. ;)

nice collection Dino...

here's a collection of some of my instruments... this was taken about 3 years ago, so that collection's actually bigger now... =) what can I say.. I LOVE music!!!

The early collection...
DSC00449.jpg

my Soprano G-String... the name still cracks me up!!!
DSC00454.jpg

my "precious". LOL Kamaka Tenor w/ built in pickup... straight SEXY!
DSC00458.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

Last edited:
What's in the case?

dscn0591.png

Looks like your basic Pono PTO Mahogany tenor.

dscn0592.png

It's a very light shade of mahogany.

dscn0593.png

And it's high gloss that's so shiny it made my husband pick it up and start blues-riffing.

dscn0595.png

Top Bottom