Show us your ukes!

Hot dang, that is a gorgeous uke. Beautiful art, beautiful wood, and if the sound samples I've heard of your other instruments are any indication, it sounds just as good (if not better) than it looks! I love the wood on that neck.

You ever make concert size or only tenor?
Thank you. Yes, i also build concerts and Baritones.

While this is no match for those luscious Cornerstones ( gasp ) I had to sell a K-2 long neck to raise the funds for the purchase of this K-1 concert. Yes, photos are those of HMS, mostly because the quality is way above my photog skills. But even these pics don't show how beautiful it is OR how it sounds. I strung it with soft high g Uke Logics and it also plays wonderfully. [ see if you can imagine the sad puppy face on the back : - ) ]Kanile'a K-1 DLX Concert.jpg

Oh nice you are the one who commissioned that Tree Mahogany uke!! It’s a beauty. How is the sound?
I have played at least 8 recent Kimo tenors and, honestly I would be happy with any of them--I think his builds are really consistent -- at least his spruce-topped ukes (I've only played one non-spruce-topped Kimo and it was redwood and probably sonically my favorite.) This is my first conventional (Martin-esque) Kimo tenor -- the others all being "Super Tenors." It's brand new and the Swiss moon spruce top needs to break-in, and I've only had it for a day -- but it has a very woody "D-18-ish" guitar like quality that I think I'm really gonna enjoy-- a little more delicate, intimate feel than the super tenors- maybe a little more "immediate " tone than the larger super tenor but still plenty of volume. Delightfully beautiful in person with gorgeous woods and few embellishments. Kudos to Hank Johnson -- I think Kimo ukes are among the best kept secrets in ukulele luthery--

View attachment 97284View attachment 97285View attachment 97286View attachment 97287

Here are some pictures of my Pegasus ukulele that was built by Bob Gleason in 1984 and the story of how I acquired it. In the 90's, I lived in Albuquerque, NM and there was an elderly couple across the street who had previously lived on the Big Island. When the wife passed away, the husband went to live with their children and held a yard sale. I walked across the street, saw the ukulele, and bought it for $100. Unbelievable but true! Of course, I had no idea what type of ukulele I had bought or who Bob Gleason was......I sure know now. Aloha.
Very cool story. hope your still enjoying this beautiful Pegasus. Bob builds some amazing instruments.

I have a Limited Edition Ohana Concert that is just so pretty! I was taking a short vacation last week, and took it with me. I was playing it one morning at the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort, when a young man passing by stopped to listen. When I looked up at him, he said, "That's the most beautiful Ukulele I've ever seen!" I was flattered (don't know why) and showed him all the custom features of the instrument. Here it is for y'all to gawk at:
Ohana.jpg

Top: Hawaii grown Sugi
b/s: Milo
Binding : curly koa
Fret and bridge: milo
Nut and saddle: Micarita
Inlay: Paua and MOP
Headcap: Milo
Neck: Hawaii grown Spanish cedar
Purflings: dyed wood fiber

Last edited:
Top Bottom