- Mar 18, 2008
General Guidelines;Ukulele Review Submission
Action, Fit & Finish
- Select a numerical rating in each category (10 is the best, 1 is bad). A rating is required for every category.
- Add comments in at least one text field (You must enter some comments that go deeper than saying it's good or bad. Surveys without valuable comments will not be used). There are a number of questions below that you can use as a guide.
- BE CRITICAL! Nothing is perfect. Superficial, glowing reviews may not get published.
- Resist the new product rush! Take some time and really work with the product. If you need to comment right away, make it clear you haven't used it extensively.
- Please include some of the specs too, since not everyone will know the model numbers and names alone.
- What year was it made? Where was is made? (Hawaii, Japan, China etc...)
- How many frets?
- Solid-Top? Laminated top?
- Any pickups or electronics?
- Body and neck woods? ( Koa, Plywood, etc...)
- Finish (Satin, transparent, quilted top, flamed top, etc...)
- Body style (Soprano, Tenor, Concert, Cutaway, etc...)
- Bridge style ( String-thru body, stop tailpiece, etc...)
- Tuners (Locking? Non-locking? brand of tuners - Sperzel, Gotoh, Grover, Schaller, etc...)
- Neck/Scale (Fat, Thin, Jumbo Frets, Rosewood, Maple, etc...)
- Any included accessories? (Case, gig bag, strap, cable, tools, humidifier, etc...)
- How does it suit your music style (and what is that style)?
- What amps and effects are you using it with?
- Is it noisy? On what settings?
- Rich/Full sound? Bright sound?
- What kind of sounds can the ukulele make? How much variety?
- Likes and dislikes?
Action, Fit & Finish
- How well was the ukulele set-up at the factory? (How was the action?)
- Properly bookmatched top?
- Properly routed bridge?
- Did the ukulele contain any flaws? (misaligned bracing, poorly filed fretwire, finish flaws, poor quality wood, rusted or oxidized hardware, loose tuning pegs, poorly cut nut, poorly fit saddle, noisy pickup selector, loose controls, etc...)
- Will this ukulele withstand live playing?
- Does the hardware seem like it will last?
- Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing?
- Can you depend on it?
- Would you use it on a gig without a backup?
- If you've dealt with the company, how helpful/friendly were they?
- Ever try and get it repaired?
- Was it under warranty?
- How long is the warranty
- How long have you been playing?
- What other gear do you own?
- Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this ukulele?
- If it were stolen or lost, would you buy it again or get something else?
- What do you love about it?
- What do you dislike?
- What is your favorite feature?
- Did you compare it to other ukuleles? Which ones?
- Why did you choose this one?
- Anything you wish it had?
- Anything else you'd like to share?