ukulele with no bracing or kerfling

tangimango

Reaction score
Other then the ukulele being very weak ,what kind of sound would a ukulele with no kerfling or solid lining or bracing would it make?

If the back and sides were made thicker then linings and bracings could be dispensed with...But if you kept the Top thin it could be strengthened by giving it a larger rosette and making the footprint of the bridge cover more area to replace the support of the bridgeplate and fan braces (like a starfish shaped bridge :)) ..I can imagine it could be a good sounding uke..But I'm only theorising :stop: and I'm not going to make one to find out.

Thanks tim. So curiuos on what it would sound like as well. Only benifit I can think of is it would be light.

There were a few plucked type instruments that were built without linings or bracing, notably the Vihuela and the Baroque Guitar. They hold up fine, even with Sides at 1.8 mm's.
This Torres copy has no bracing at all, just the two harmonic bars either side of the rosette. It does have linings though. I'm pretty sure they can be dispensed with as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAhCi0XaQD0

There were a few plucked type instruments that were built without linings or bracing, notably the Vihuela and the Baroque Guitar. They hold up fine, even with Sides at 1.8 mm's.
This Torres copy has no bracing at all, just the two harmonic bars either side of the rosette. It does have linings though. I'm pretty sure they can be dispensed with as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAhCi0XaQD0
Just as I expected ..a larger bridge footprint :)

Nope. Actually it's smaller. Everything taken in relation to the size of the instrument. Don't forget that the string pull is also MUCH greater than on a Ukulele.

My Martin SO has no kerfing but does have bracing .

My Koalohas have no kerfing, but they have a unique brace below the sound hole that goes all the way around. I don't think you could completely do without bracing, unless your wood was really thick, and then it would sound dead.

Last edited:
Soprano sizes usually just have the one transverse brace...I'm pretty sure you could get away without it. The effect probably wouldn't be too noticeable. I'm pretty sure you could get away with no braces on a concert or tenor too (I never tried so no guarantees). Those might not sound very good though.
Braces affect how and where the top vibrates so they affect the tone as much as they give support to the structure. For larger tops with more complicated bracing patterns, you can really change the sound with a different brace pattern.

Interesting topic.. would be great to see photos of the different innovative bracing pattens that people have used. Unless this has already been covered in the past on this forum?
There was that new invention, for which established guitar companies would stand in line as well as in awe, by joejeweller. I wonder sometimes what that looked like.

I wish! We're all waiting for the punch line. Joe wanted a uke without a back, or with a removable top, to try his invention. All I want is a sketch of the damn thing, he certainly got me curious.

Other then the ukulele being very weak ,what kind of sound would a ukulele with no kerfling or solid lining or bracing would it make?
Listened to a non-braced concert size pineapple uke. Gives some Romero's competition in loudness and tone (right up until the time the soundboard cracks?)

I built a soprano uke with no bracing or lining. It had a very soft, melodious sound when strummed or picked lightly. When played even moderately vigorously, the sound became "muddy" and buzzy. Not buzzy as in strings touching frets but as though there was a whole lot of sonic vibration going on and it was conflcting and confused.

Nevertheless, my late wife loved it and played it (softly) for several years. It was pulling itself out of shape with the effects of string tension, so I attempted to rescue it by retro-fitting some internal braces, after which it sounded awful. It ended up as a wall-hanger.

Top Bottom