Ukulele Women on YouTube?

Heady

I have a playlist I keep on in the car for inspiration. I find the music I gravitate to as a listener tends to be hyper masculine (led zeppelin, rolling stones, mid century jazz masters, even when it comes to a stereotypically less masculine instrument like flute, there I am listening to Herbie Mann and Dave Valentine).

So my inspo playlist is all women. There's an occasional male backup but it's all women with string instruments to help me develop a stronger self concept as the type of musician I'd like to be. I've got a ton of Cape Breton and Scandinavian fiddle, and lots of old time and indie folk banjo and mandolin. But my only ukulele darling of youtube is Garam Jeon. She's a treasure and very prolific, but what I'd like to know is who am I missing?

Currently my list is all cis-women but by chance, not design. It's very white - only Rhiannon Giddens and... Jeon? (I screw up name order conventions so I apologize if I got that wrong) aren't. So some more diversity (other than wanting cis- or trans- women) would be a bonus.

Can the UU community share some suggestions for Ukulele women on YouTube?

Thanks.

Heady

Ps
Not tutorials - just a play list for driving around and my long commute.

robinboyd

Try these ones:

Taimane Gardner

Honoka and Azita (even though they've now broken up)

Rakelele

"Danielle Ate The Sandwich", great original songwriting for ukulele.

man0a

Don't forget the old-school Hawaiian ukulele players like Genoa Keawe.

Her style of ukulele music lives on today through her granddaughter Pomaikai Lyman

Last edited:

Jim Yates

Marcy Marxer
Cathy Fink (clawhammer uke)
Cathy & Marcy
Elizabeth Safely Brinker
Ginger Johnson
Robyn Kneubuhl
The Hula Honeys (Ginger & Robyn)
Eve Goldberg

Last edited: