UPT or UPTL?

steve-o-reno

UU VIP
UU VIP
I plan to install Gotoh UPTL tuners on an older uke that has friction tuners. But the headstock thickness is tapered. The thickness of the headstock at the tuners closest to the nut is 12.5mm but the thickness at the other tuners is 11.22.

The UPTs are listed as being for thicknesses of up to 11.5 and UPTLs list as being for thicknesses from 11.5-13.5. I haven't used these tuners so will there be a problem using the UPTLs, or is there a way to get the tuners to fit properly without buying two different sizes?

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
I think you might be better off going with the UPTL's. I can't remember where I saw it, but a member in this forum said they always used UPTL's regardless of the headstock thickness. The only difference they stated was that the shaft was longer (which is stated on the gotoh website), which didn't make any difference on playability.

Jim (reply #2) mentions/links "japarts.ca" as a source for UPTx's. I've used another USA source via eBay. Seller has been around since 2011. Here's a link that 'should' take you to the list of GOTOH UPT/L's currently available. Stock changes frequently. Shipping charge is very reasonable, as is the price. If the link doesn't work (as intended), go to eBay, search GOTOH UPT and look for the seller named: lucysukulele

https://www.ebay.com/sch/lucysukulele/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

As for the question of which ... short or long ... I recommend the UPTL's. I've used both, and on the heads that are on the thicker side (of the non-L measurement) using the longer L option works just fine.

[EDIT]: I just tried the link and it took me to the full inventory that Lucy has. Scroll to the 3rd or 4th page to see the Gotoh's.

Last edited:

steve-o-reno

UU VIP
UU VIP
Thanks for the information...

Jim - I looked at the Japarts site but I didn't see any way to buy less than 4 tuners of one kind (like 2 UPT and 2 UPTL). So I wrote to them and asked, and hopefully I'll have an answer soon.

Deznuchs - I may have to try the longer set to see how they fit. Maybe the longer shaft will just stick out a little more. I've asked Japarts if the longer shafts would work.

Web_Parrot - Yes, I had found some tuners from Lucy's Ukuleles on Reverb. Best prices/shipping I've found so far.

Jim Hanks

Yeah you have to send an email and tell them what you want. They will definitely do an odd number. I ordered 5 for a 5-string tenor. I don't know for sure if they'll do 2 each like you want, but I think they will.

I've ordered strings from Lucy's before and all went well well - a good seller from my experience. But I'd be surprised if she could split two 4-packs

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
You maybe want to try theukulelesite (TUS/HMS) too! I have gotten UPT's from Lucy's and TUS. When I got the turners from TUS they came in a plastic bag, not the regular box. I didn't mind that they came in a bag. Wondering if they have a bunch lying around. Maybe they will do 2 UPT's and 2 UPTL's.

steve-o-reno

UU VIP
UU VIP
I contacted HMS and I got a very quick reply from Joel. He said he'd look to see what he has in stock and if they have any separate tuners available that could be combined. If not, I"ll just try the UPTL set and see how it goes.

steve-o-reno

UU VIP
UU VIP
A big 'Thank You' to the super helpful Joel at HMS who set me up with a mixed set of UPT/UPTL tuners and offered words of encouragement for the replacement process. Here's a photo of the finished installation. (The uke is mango tenor made by Dennis Lake of PoMahina instruments bought from Dennis in 2004 the UkeFestWest in Santa Cruz, Ca.)New tuners back.JPG

steve-o-reno

UU VIP
UU VIP
Were the originals mixed/different lengths?
No, the originals tuners were all the same length. The string-hole in the shafts at the thicker part of the headstock sat a bit lower and but it was never a problem.

The measurements at the two thicknesses of the headstock each fell into a different recommended UPT size, so I looked for a mixed length set. Enter Joel at HMS. The UPTLs sit taller because of the additional 2mm shaft length and provide a bit more room for string winding. Now that I've experimented with them, I could probably have gone with either all UPTs or all UPTLs and they would have worked OK, but what’s the fun in that!

M3Ukulele

Any chance you can post picture from front side showing the heights of the shaft above the headstock top?