UV Cured Finishes

Thanks for posting this, Rick. To be honest, I still haven't made the jump from Tru-oil, but I eat up authoritative finish advice/commentary with a spoon because some day....

Lots of people have lots to say, but he experience level of the poster really helps in separating the wheat from the chaff.

Last edited:
Once you're set up properly to spray, then you have the full range of options...but set up properly means a good spray booth.

Once you're set up properly to spray, then you have the full range of options...but set up properly means a good spray booth.

That, more than investing in some equipment, is the bottom line for me right now. Two cats and a dog leave an intolerable amount of hair in every inch of the house (where dedicated space is at a premium anyway). Partitioning a space in my shop is a shaky option as well, as that space is also limited (I still periodically thank my wife for giving up her indoor parking space through Northeast Ohio winters to accommodate a bandsaw and assembly table).

But I enjoy the journey. At this point I like knowing that I have somewhere to go. As an amateur I don't HAVE to produce beyond my own drive to do so. And I am the only who has to forgive "not being there yet" in terms of my completed instruments.

Such, I suppose, are the freedom and restraints of amateur building.

But I am always looking to improve, and I value seasoned advice. A dedicated space for finishing is a great, tangible first step.

Last edited:
Top Bottom