Vice verses Vise

Timbuck

Reaction score
For a while I've been interested in getting a Stewmac guitar makers vise, but with shipping to the UK it would cost me £240 plus import duty.:(
But I've been saved ..Axminster Tools here in the UK sell a very similar vice for £147..98. and I have a £40 Axminster gift voucher :)
0B5DE837-2E91-4813-9DA5-797F4E26C8A3.jpeg2AAD38C5-6F85-452A-AE57-8EBF910A0916 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Which is which? The red one to the right looks better made and sturdier. Plus it has a wheel instead of crank handle. Axminster?

That looks a useful piece of kit, Ken. Enjoy!

Which is which? The red one to the right looks better made and sturdier. Plus it has a wheel instead of crank handle. Axminster?
They are both made from identical castings..the handles are the only difference....*EDIT* I just did a bit more research and the Stewmac one is 1.3 pound heavier due to a wheel type handle instead of a crank handle, also they have fitted a thrust bearing to give it a smoother action. No problem I can do that to mine when it arrives .

Last edited:
Well it's arrived ...but now i'm stumped ...what can I use it for? all the pics show it holding a guitar by the neck or an odd shaped piece of wood carving and I don't really do guitars much and i don't do wood carving apart from ukulele necks and I have jig for holding them.

I don't know what you might use it for, Ken, but if I walked into a workshop and saw one mounted on a bench, I'd be impressed. Perhaps that's what they are for.

Looks like a fancy cell phone holder .

I think it's time I sought help....I have this thing about vices...I already own 7 bench fitting vices and 5 machine vices...and I'm always looking for rare vintage ones on eBay...this is a video of the Holy Grail of vices "The Emmert Style Pattern Makers Vice" Some of the early vintage models go for £ £ £ £ s.
one here for 1000 USD

Last edited:
I think it's time I sought help....I have this thing about vices...I already own 7 bench fitting vices and 5 machine vices...and I'm always looking for rare vintage ones on eBay...this is a video of the Holy Grail of vices "The Emmert Style Pattern Makers Vice" Some of the early vintage models go for £ £ £ £ s.
one here for 1000 USD

Have you looked at workshop heaven, some nice vices including Emmert pattern makers

I used the new vice today to do a bit of roughing out of a neck blank and it certainly grips well without damaging the workpiece and holds rock solid while rasping.

one here for 1000 USD

I had one of these when I was working out of a basement music tore in Akron. Stick with your vice versa...

I splurged for the S-M vise a while back and I use it constantly for hold things I'm working on. I have a made some working platforms that I clamp in the vise, and can then clamp the work to the platforms in different ways. For example, a thick piece shaped like a uke body, with a long neck that clamps in the vise (sort of like a heavy duty solera). How it benefits me is that it brings my work to a better working height for me (less bending over).

Top Bottom