VIDEO- Which household product ruined this guitar?

EDW

Maybe they forgot the vinegar!

You often hear of various home remedies or treatments using seemingly harmless household or kitchen products. This is a great cautionary tale showing the damage and problems that can occur.

Michael Smith

Thanks for that video Beau, Good information

I had a customer spill fingernail polish in her case. She cleaned it up best she could. Didn't directly touch the instrument. The fumes soaked in between the fretboard and where the lacquer starts and soon it began causing the lacquer to fail. When I removed the finish I could smell fingernail polish very strongly. She put another instrument in the case some time later, same thing happened.

Paul1973UK

WOW! Who would have thought that wiping it with (skip to 33 minutes of the video) would cause so much damage!

pmorey

UU VIP
UU VIP
A video showing the effects of using a certain household product to "polish" a 1965 ES175D Gibson guitar...
Did you get an answer why they used that product on their guitar body? I could see maybe making the mistake of using that on the fretboard, but the body?

lakesideglenn

What a dope!
My brother has a 1973 Guild F50 guitar he’s been cleaning with Lemon Pledge for almost 50 yrs….I told him he shouldn’t use it but it still looks and sounds great!

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Did you get an answer why they used that product on their guitar body? I could see maybe making the mistake of using that on the fretboard, but the body?
The owner is a university professor, so no dummy- He just didn't know better. I told him to buy separate products forFB and body- i think i actually gave him an old bottle of the lemon oil.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Maybe they forgot the vinegar!

You often hear of various home remedies or treatments using seemingly harmless household or kitchen products. This is a great cautionary tale showing the damage and problems that can occur.
Thanks.
I thought is such a strange, common but unique problem (id never seen it before) that id make a video on it.

KohanMike

Los Angeles
UU VIP
Seriously, no one is going note the product that was used, we're forced to watch a video!! It's extra virgin olive oil, but the video has lot's of good information if you do want to view it.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 3 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

EDW

Seriously, no one is going note the product that was used, we're forced to watch a video!! It's extra virgin olive oil, but the video has lot's of good information if you do want to view it.
I'll bet you go into theaters where murder mysteries are playing and at the start you yell out "It was the ex-wife who killed him!" :D

As you mentioned, there is so much great info there, that it is well worth watching. I was really interested to know what the product was, but the info leading up to it was just so good, I really enjoyed watching the whole thing.

sequoia

I liked the line, "Any money I make I just send to Stew Mac". 😅

KohanMike

Los Angeles
UU VIP
I'll bet you go into theaters where murder mysteries are playing and at the start you yell out "It was the ex-wife who killed him!"
Never, but because of health reasons, I haven't been to a movie theater in 10 years, and with my recent purchase of a 65" 4K TV, I don't even need to. Another product not to use on ukes is anything with silicone in it.

Larry Usselman

UU VIP
UU VIP
Never, but because of health reasons, I haven't been to a movie theater in 10 years, and with my recent purchase of a 65" 4K TV, I don't even need to. Another product not to use on ukes is anything with silicone in it.
A lot of home furniture polishes (including Pledge) have silicone. Apparently, silicone will penetrate the wood and make any future repair or restoration extremely difficult or impossible. As Beau points out, if you have to use anything more than a damp cloth to clean or polish your instruments, stick with a product specifically formulated for wooden musical instruments.

EDW

I'm thinking... Dunlop 65 on pasta... interchangeable, I hope not.
Yes, better as a marinade or in stir fry.

I think that many people would probably think that since something like olive oil is a natural product and that it can be consumed, how bad could it be? Honestly, I would have no idea, although I would probably be concerned that it would go rancid.