Vintage Kamaka 8 string sounds "tinny"

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is my second vintage Kamaka 8 string. I loved the sound of my first one but sold it when medical issues forced me to stop playing. After the Cleveland Clinic brought me back to the land of pickers and strummers, I bought another white label 8 string. I put Worth clears on it and have pretty much ignored it.
Someone requested a song that I used to play on the 8 so I got this out of its case. It just sounds "tinny" to me. It's got a very bright sound but there's just something about the sound quality that makes my neck hairs stand up.
I wonder if some of those old black Kamaka strings would make this better?

I wonder if some of those old black Kamaka strings would make this better?

Yes. Or some Fremont Blacklines. Or Worth Browns. Or... Sometimes it takes a while to find the right strings for the instrument. But when you do, it makes the journey all worthwhile.

I'm glad the Cleveland Clinic got you back to pickin' and strummin'. Hope you are doing well.

I have a Kamaka white label six-string and have the Aquila set with red low A on it. I find that it provides a pretty mighty thundering sound like uke on steroids. The Kanile'a 8-string I played at the factory also had a huge sound with Aquilas, but they use special GHS wound string ... their set would be my first choice for an 8.

Welcome back to pickin and strummin!
My wife's vintage 8 string Kamaka sounds great with Worth clears. Hmmmm.
I'd try Worth Browns....maybe....

High frets that are just starting to rattle and buzz can produce a harsh, thin and metallic sound. I suggest checking the neck for high frets.

Top Bottom