Vintage Kamaka question…

Blank Williams

Reaction score
So I have a lovely vintage Kamaka soprano, (probably from the late 70’s) that I love but…it’s almost banjo-bright and loud! What are some strings types that are good for taming brightness? I think it had the original black nylons when I got it but they were very dull sounding to me. It’s currently wearing Worth browns. Any suggestions welcome!

So I have a lovely vintage Kamaka soprano, (probably from the late 70’s) that I love but…it’s almost banjo-bright and loud! What are some strings types that are good for taming brightness? I think it had the original black nylons when I got it but they were very dull sounding to me. It’s currently wearing Worth browns. Any suggestions welcome!

I had an older 60s or 70s pineapple. Big fan of oasis strings, pretty sure I had the warms on mine and thought it sounded great.

Fluorocarbon strings are harsh and more suitable to brighten laminate Chinese ukes. To warm it up get some quality Nylon or Nylgut strings. I have New Nylgut on my white label tenor and to me she sounds like angels singing and other musicians who heard me play also have complimented it.

How about a set of ko'olau Mahana strings?

What's on there now? I actually like the Kamaka strings on mine. I have a white label Kamaka Soprano that was my first Ukulele, and I keep the Kamaka strings on it. Mine was probably made around 1984.

What's on there now? I actually like the Kamaka strings on mine. I have a white label Kamaka Soprano that was my first Ukulele, and I keep the Kamaka strings on it. Mine was probably made around 1984.
I have worth browns on there now. I was thinking about giving the Kamaka strings another chance. I love it, but it sounds like a KoAloha to me and I’d rather have a more warm “island” sound.

Just put some spare Aquilas that I forgot I had on it. Much better! Still has a ton a volume but it “fattened” it up a bit and took away some of the harshness. I should have known, I really like Aquila strings on most (not all) of my ukes.

If it's just volume you're worried about too, try using the side of your thumb instead. Can get a bit of a softer touch.

Top Bottom