Vintage Martin Bridge Fix?

spongeuke

Reaction score
I am considering converting a 1919 Martin 2M to a string through the bridge set up to address a blown out slot. Other fixes such as a bead in the slot, replace just the slot area or replace with a new bridge & saddle, don't look good or diminish the vintage mojo.
What do you think?

Please dont put a new bridge on , fix the slot. A new bridge would ruin it for me. I'd try the bead first. I keep a bead on the A string of all my Martins just to be safe. I think
it is a 3mm bead. It's only original once , don't want to lose that Mojo especially on an early 2M .

Of course, if you are not concerned about it being "original" the through the bridge set up looks great, nice and simple and no fuss.

This 100 year old instrument has seen some use and probably been sat on due to the condition I received it. I had to glue the back vertical cracks 3 and a horizontal one at the heal block. Inside an extension was added to the heal block to support the horizontal crack, the center brace was split and the lower one was just a thin remnant that had to be cleaned out and replaced, this was done all through the sound hole, as I didn't want to remove the back. So it is far from a pristine collector item, but structurally sound. My thought is that a vintage instrumenting good playing condition has much more of a chance surviving the coming years if it is used for what it is intended. Therefore I felt that the through the bridge treatment puts less strain on the bridge.
I drilled a hole straight down in the offending slot injected a drop of super glue to harden up the hole. Tested the hole for fit and smoothness and now it awaits some French Polish on the back and the wear areas of the face. It has been previously gone over some time in the past.
Should be ready for some strumming in a couple of weeks

Please post pics when you are done

Top Bottom