Violin neck on a Grizzly Uke body?

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
An ignorant question:

I want to make a violin out of a uke body and a violin neck. Would it work? I'm thinking maybe the string tension would be too great for the body w/o reinforcement.

It worked the other way:

Just had a thought: I could use uke strings except the E string is so high I'd have to use a violin string i think. So the set up would be

G - Low G uke string
D - C uke string
A - A uke string
E - E violin string

What do you think?

The cumulative tension of violing strings is about 40lb. For Soprano uke about 20lb. I think a touch more bracing might be sensible.

The tough part would be bowing the uke-kit-into-violin. String height is too low, and the waist not narrow enough. Plus violins don't wookr the same way as ukes - search for "sound post". I'm sure it would make a noise, but ...

An ignorant question:

I want to make a violin out of a uke body and a violin neck. Would it work? I'm thinking maybe the string tension would be too great for the body w/o reinforcement.

It worked the other way:

WAAAAAANNNNNT!

Badly... want want want...

Biblical sin wanting...

Love you, Alan!

There are so many things wrong with this idea it is hard to know where to start. First, the C bout in the violin waist area is were you instrument is bowed. If you were to position the bridge so you could bow in the waste area of the uke body, the bridge would be sitting inside the hole. That won't work. If you keep the bridge where it is on the uke, you could not bow the strings because of the larger lower bout, the bridge would have to be way to high which is not good. That won't work. A standard 4/4 violin has a scale length of about 13 7/8" so the bridge has to be placed on the uke top where it will do the most good which is the center of the lower bout.

The sound post in a violin it there because the back has to be incorporated into the violin sound. The violin has a bass bar under the bass foot of the bridge. The sound post and bass bar are the only thing supporting the CARVED top plate. The top plate is carved because the string pressure is too great for a flat top instrument.

Using nylon uke strings with a bow is going to sound very sad and flat. Then there is the curve of the fingerboard and bridge, and on and on and on.

Maybe because I know what is involved with a violin and a uke from my building and repairing both instruments, I can see all the problems and pitfalls with this idea. If you should attempt this idea, it will be interesting to see the result.

There are so many things wrong with this idea it is hard to know where to start. First, the C bout in the violin waist area is were you instrument is bowed. If you were to position the bridge so you could bow in the waste area of the uke body, the bridge would be sitting inside the hole. That won't work. If you keep the bridge where it is on the uke, you could not bow the strings because of the larger lower bout, the bridge would have to be way to high which is not good. That won't work. A standard 4/4 violin has a scale length of about 13 7/8" so the bridge has to be placed on the uke top where it will do the most good which is the center of the lower bout.

The sound post in a violin it there because the back has to be incorporated into the violin sound. The violin has a bass bar under the bass foot of the bridge. The sound post and bass bar are the only thing supporting the CARVED top plate. The top plate is carved because the string pressure is too great for a flat top instrument.

Using nylon uke strings with a bow is going to sound very sad and flat. Then there is the curve of the fingerboard and bridge, and on and on and on.

Maybe because I know what is involved with a violin and a uke from my building and repairing both instruments, I can see all the problems and pitfalls with this idea. If you should attempt this idea, it will be interesting to see the result.

This is what I needed to know. Thank you! Carnival made a plastic violin in the 1950s that actually makes an agreeable sound. It's a tiny thing, but used nylon (plastic?) strings on it. The bridge placement is the big question I had.I've seen some cigar box violins and wondered if they have sound posts.

I guess I'll try it just for a lark and see what monstrosity I create.

The cumulative tension of violing strings is about 40lb. For Soprano uke about 20lb. I think a touch more bracing might be sensible.

The tough part would be bowing the uke-kit-into-violin. String height is too low, and the waist not narrow enough. Plus violins don't wookr the same way as ukes - search for "sound post". I'm sure it would make a noise, but ...

I know about sound posts and wondered if cigar box violins have them. I've got a violin bridge - thought I'd put the strings close to the end of the body and...um I don't know. I'm making this up as I go!
Thanks!

Top Bottom