Visiting Oahu & Big Island in February

ukuleleeh

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am going to Oahu and Hawai'i middle to end of February, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to go if I wanted to play, both with others and also by myself. Any recommendations are welcome, from welcoming get-togethers to your favourite spots to play some tunes on the beach.

Hello all!

I am going to Oahu and Hawai'i middle to end of February, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to go if I wanted to play, both with others and also by myself. Any recommendations are welcome, from welcoming get-togethers to your favourite spots to play some tunes on the beach.
I've never visited HI but am interested to read responses. Your post triggered a question I've been meaning to ask: Though February seems a great time for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere to visit HI, is December-April "high season" in terms of pricing for hotels and condo rentals?

I've never visited HI but am interested to read responses. Your post triggered a question I've been meaning to ask: Though February seems a great time for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere to visit HI, is December-April "high season" in terms of pricing for hotels and condo rentals?
I can't speak to hotel prices as I am staying in AirBnBs while on the islands. However, from everything I've read it's a good time to visit. A bit less busy, and also it's whale-watching season. But, I can update you in about a month when I've seen it in person :)

Hawaii is mostly a family destination, so "high season" mostly matches USA school vacations, especially between Christmas and New Years, Spring Break (a couple of weeks before and after Easter), and the summer vacation. Late winter, early spring and late fall are usually the cheaper seasons (for lodging and airplane tickets).

Regarding jam sessions, Kanilea ukulele (who also sponsors this forum) sponsors the Ukulele Club of Hawaii that meets in a shopping mall near the Kanilea factory: https://www.kanileaukulele.com/events/uch-monthly-meeting/

There was a "Park Rats" ukulele group that met in Waikiki before the pandemic. I think they shut down during the pandemic but may be starting up again now. They have a Facebook page.

If you Google for "Hawaii ukulele jam sessions", you may find more.

Hawaii is mostly a family destination, so "high season" mostly matches USA school vacations, especially between Christmas and New Years, Spring Break (a couple of weeks before and after Easter), and the summer vacation. Late winter, early spring and late fall are usually the cheaper seasons (for lodging and airplane tickets).

Regarding jam sessions, Kanilea ukulele (who also sponsors this forum) sponsors the Ukulele Club of Hawaii that meets in a shopping mall near the Kanilea factory: https://www.kanileaukulele.com/events/uch-monthly-meeting/

There was a "Park Rats" ukulele group that met in Waikiki before the pandemic. I think they shut down during the pandemic but may be starting up again now. They have a Facebook page.

If you Google for "Hawaii ukulele jam sessions", you may find more.
Awesome! Thanks for that advice :)

Kanilea does a monthly jam/lesson at the Windward Mall. I've gone to a few, most recently this past fall while visiting family. Craig and Sarah Chee were the guest artists leading that one. Most of the people are locals who go every month.

Not uke related but worth your time. The Royal Hawaiian Band plays a weekly concert on Fridays at Iolani Palace. Noon time I believe. They're really exceptional. I had heard them in a couple of parades but never in concert. Wow, what a tight group.

Not uke related but worth your time. The Royal Hawaiian Band plays a weekly concert on Fridays at Iolani Palace. Noon time I believe. They're really exceptional. I had heard them in a couple of parades but never in concert. Wow, what a tight group.
That's awesome, I will check them out!

There's a monday ukulele jam a the Biki Bike racks behind the Barefoot Beach Cafe (BBC) along the beach at Waikiki. It's from 4-5:30 pm; bring a chair & music stand. Vanessa A. usually runs it. Afterward, they usually move to the BBC to enjoy Uncle Leonard's band. I only went once, but a few of the Park Rats usually go.

Used to play at the BBC one morning during the week, but not anymore.

Ran into a friend last week & he goes to a jam with Uncle Leonard at Na Mea - Kipuka at Ward Centre during the week. I forgot what day but you could call Na Mea for info.
Great to know! Thanks for the tip :)

This looks like it will be a lot of fun. It is a 3-day event and the first 2 days are free admission.
329194753_743441923800687_7799499996446839161_n.jpg

I just saw Ukulenny and Abe Lagrimas Jr. post a little uke session in Waikele. I don't know all the details, but could be worth checking out.

As far as playing solo, any beach, park, or quiet area does well. Watch for that rain tho, depending on where you are. Check the weather and plan accordingly.

I'm bummed I'm missing the picnic. Should be fun!

There's another HI thread with plenty tips to check out.

Top Bottom