Wanted: Pre-beveled Nut Stock

Wiggy

I can't seem to find nut material that has the 45-degree bevel already cut. I'm OK cutting string slots, but not equipped for the bevel.

The premade ones are all 35mm wide or less, or not tall enough - none of my ukes are that narrow.

I'm looking for several (6-10 pieces) that are 7mm (h) x 5mm (w) in cross-section and are 38mm (min) to 40mm (max) long. I'll do the cut and trim the nut width to fit.

I'll be more than happy to pay someone for materials, machine work, and shipping if none are commercially available.

Bone, "nubone" or any other good synthetic; I'll accept your recommendation.

Attachments

• 5x7 Nut Stock.jpg
    5x7 Nut Stock.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

sequoia

Not really that hard to get that bevel. Put your nuts in a vice and take a bastard file and file a 45 degree bevel. It happens really quick. Then round the corners by rolling the file and finish off with sandpaper. Viola! A beveled nut.

If I understand your question correctly.

Wiggy

You did understand it. I'll order some stock and give it a try. Is bone stock the best to learn on?

<edit> Ord'd these from eBay: 5xBeige Cattle Bone 36x5x6.5mm Nut 61x3.3x7.2mm Saddle
(This will give also me a chance to tinker with a "compensated" saddle.)

Last edited:

lauburu

You could try Corian. It's easy to get cheap offcuts from a kitchen benchtop manufacturer. One relatively small offcut will last you a lifetime of ukulele making. Easy to cut on the sawbench, consistent density (unlike some bone blanks I've purchased), easy to shape with a file and sands to a nice satin finish.
Miguel

Wiggy

Hmm... I could get Corian samples and cut them on a table saw or jigsaw. I also have a small belt/disc sander.

Good idea.

Timbuck

Anything will do the job, wood plastic bone, it's just to keep the strings spaced ... once you fret a string with your fingers the nut material is eliminated from the equation...I once made a nut for a guitar out of an old toothbrush handle.