Weekend in Oahu....where to stay, what to do?

Chap

Reaction score
I have lined up an interview with the state of Hawaii. I don't know if this is something I can manage or not, because the pay is, frankly, awful.

I'm not even sure it's a workable amount of money. Can you survive on Oahu, working downtown, for 43k?

Either way, I' might just take it as an opportunity to visit for a weekend. Any suggestions on things I shouldn't miss?

You shouldn't miss the Spam, eggs and white rice breakfast value meal at Mickey D's on Waikiki Beach.

As for living in Hawaii, one of the nation's most heavily taxed states, on 43k bucks a year? Same answer: Spam, eggs and rice.

sales tax 4.75% northen calif 10.0%
state tax on retirement income 0.... only 1 of 4 or 5 States
health insurance coverage Northern Calif $500.00 Hawaii $250.00 this just an example..but health ins. is half here
as you can see I lived in Northern Calif and kind of happy to be here

how bout this one
private ukulele lessons Northern Cal $45.00 per lesson
Roy Sakuma studio $26.00 a lesson

lots of everyday stuff cheaper than the Mainland and I have not mentioned the weather and the water/ocean yet..which is no charge >>haha

only my 2 cents from living in Hawaii

Last edited:
sales tax 4.75% northen calif 10.0%
state tax on retirement income 0.... only 1 of 4 or 5 States

Actually, that is the part that gets me to keep pushing my mom to move there, the no tax on pension. With her in Southern California, the lower sales tax (we are also 10 percent) and no tax on her CA pension makes the move more cost effective for her.

I lived there for ten years and never made 43K in a single year, but I also don't have any children or dependents. I think you could totally do it, especially if you live near where you work. Gas prices are kinda out there, and food is expensive, but there is also the benefit of living in an extremely desireable tropical location. I lived on the north shore in Waialua 2 blocks from the beach and never struggled financially at all. You just adjust your lifestyle to fit the cost of living. The pay off can be rewarding if the adjustment isn't too uncomfortable based on what you are used to. I say go for it, most people wait their whole lives for a few weeks in Hawaii, you have an opportunity to live there, even if it might be just for a few years.

Actually, that is the part that gets me to keep pushing my mom to move there, the no tax on pension. With her in Southern California, the lower sales tax (we are also 10 percent) and no tax on her CA pension makes the move more cost effective for her.

yeah Staci..that one reason I moved back home to Oahu..your health care about the same as here..but in San Francisco bay area it is a joke..you gots to pay to live up North,,

don't get me wrong if you want to live high on the Hill here it going to cost a little,,but if you want to just kick back enjoy life and relax,,play the uke hard to beat..and Hawaii has one of the longer life spans around in the US..you and your Mom would fit right in

I lived there for ten years and never made 43K in a single year, but I also don't have any children or dependents. I think you could totally do it, especially if you live near where you work. Gas prices are kinda out there, and food is expensive, but there is also the benefit of living in an extremely desireable tropical location. I lived on the north shore in Waialua 2 blocks from the beach and never struggled financially at all. You just adjust your lifestyle to fit the cost of living. The pay off can be rewarding if the adjustment isn't too uncomfortable based on what you are used to. I say go for it, most people wait their whole lives for a few weeks in Hawaii, you have an opportunity to live there, even if it might be just for a few years.

I'm in Wahiawa..most people get their prices from Waikiki..out in the country you can live very nice..fruits and vegis sometime grown right there the farmers markets hard to beat their prices..It all depends on how you want to live..
you know The UkuleleSite(HMS) right door to Killer Tacos now..
and Wailua coffee not too bad..My grandmother came from Japan and worked at the sugar mill in the day..

Well, it's just me, so there's that. And at the worst case, my interview trip will be a weekend vacation. I admit though, those housing prices scare me.

If you want to buy a house just don't live in the city,,come out to the country,,again try living in Northern Calif..I can only compare with places I lived

just come and relax don't stress out..you have to learn to slow down, it takes practice >>what part Honolulu is your job at?

Well, I'm shooting for two different state jobs, one is right in downtown, the other is in Kapolei.

my sister works for the State in Kapolei

you can get a place in Millilani or right there in Ewa Beach..housing a little cheaper or you can go to the North Shore where prcies are even better..

Kapolei is still a new community and the State building about 5 years old..nice complex..it get hot there maybe hottest part of the island..but the office is air condition..Honolulu to busy with traffic and too many people..go for Kapolei

take out your map you want to as far away from Waikiki as possible..

watch the LPGA this week they at Ko olina right next to Kapolei

Yeah, that's the one I'm hoping for! So, I'm going to try to do it, but, either way, I want to spend some quality time that weekend (May 4-5) while I'm there. Anything I shouldn't miss?

you got to get yourself a Hawaiian uke bruddah..they sound completely different
got to go check out The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) in Haleiwa..check out the country..Waikiki like any other big city

just hang out at the beach eat the local foods..if you stay away from Waikiki for that short stay you going to enjoy Oahu better

my days of hanging at clubs etc..are long gone,,just drive around and get the feel..don't make yourself think you missing something.. what you are looking for is going to be right in front of you..

take care bruddah

Aloha Chap!

Drive around the island. If your staying in Waikiki, drive to Diamond Head, then head East to Hawaii Kai. That drive around the southeast is right on the ocean with famous Sandy Beach, and the lighthouse trail. If you got it in you there is the Koko Head trail;) Then drive through Kailua, Kaneohe (visit Kanilea), then stop by the Mac Nut Farm. Free Kona coffee and all the mac nuts you can eat. This drive is pretty. Then head to China Man's Hat and drive to Kahuku and eat at Giovanni's Shrimp truck. Then continue to the famous North Shore. See Len (Hawaii 50), that's his new back yard. Go each shaved ice in Haleiwa and visit HMS. Cool little town in the country. Of course chill on the beach and go to Keiki's (turtles climb up the beach). Make sure you have your eating places ready too. All I say is eat at Nico's if you can! And get a whole box of something called 'Malasadas'! At Leonard's... ;)

Kelii.. I love Nico's

you should run a tour company..you know all the spots from a townies point of view ,Lol

Thanks, Kelii, that's just the sort of thing I was looking for, stomach-driven tourism! :) Are there any performances that I shouldn't miss? I was planning to try to catch Taimane at the Hyatt on the Friday, then saw she's not going to be there that week. :(

Was on the phone to the dept out in Kapolei, arranging the interview for 9am. I told them I had an interview downtown at noon the same day, and they were worried I couldn't get there in time.

Is traffic *that* bad, or are they just for some reason planning an interview > 2 hours? :p

Was on the phone to the dept out in Kapolei, arranging the interview for 9am. I told them I had an interview downtown at noon the same day, and they were worried I couldn't get there in time.

Is traffic *that* bad, or are they just for some reason planning an interview > 2 hours? :p

Yes. It's that bad.

What branch of State? I worked for DOT, DLNR, and DOE. DOT and DOE not too bad but DLNR is SO corrupt and political, a bunch of thieves taking bribes and stealing money from employees, the public, and state coffers, and getting away with it. Instead of trying to correct the problem they try to conceal it and silence those who speak out. One head was recently sentenced to 10 years when caught stealing over $100,000 (he stole more but can't be proved) but he's taking the fall for his superiors with what I'm sure a tidy reward upon early release for good behavior, probably get his old job back too. They seem to promote the crooked and terminate the honest, quite the racket they have running. I recommend you stay away from DLNR.

As a Superintendent for the state I never made $43,000 but lived comfortabley. Of course being a local boy I never had to buy a $850,000 home paying low rent instead. I'm on the Windward side but rent and homes are cheaper in Waipahu, Ewa Beach, Makakilo, Wahiawa. I LOVE Ka'a'awa, Punalu'u, Hau'ula area but a far commute to Honolulu and farther to Kapolei. If you can work in Kapolei and buy in Ewa Beach probably the best bet. Good luck.

PS. Traffic sux like a Hoover during rush hour on the H-1.

Last edited:
I guess if you have a 15 min interview you should be ok..Lol

like I have been saying there is a more relaxed Oahu if you stay on the Ko'olina side..like Ahnko Honu says above..we live here brah..we know where to live..if work downtown and live close to Waikiki..you are not going to like it..and things food/rent etc..going to be more expensive..like any major city in the U.S.

way cheaper in the country..to me seems like you looking for excuses not to live here,,traffic bad in every city..you have to understand the traffic patterns etc,,like I said we Live here..

Last edited:
Top Bottom