Weird 1970's Northern JCD Uke

If I remember correctly, the strings thread through the headstock in order to compensate for it being quite flat to the neck. Haven't seen one in person, merely read about them.

It's a ukulele designed by J. Charlmers Doane...the Guy who taught James Hill.

Last edited:
I think the strings through the peghead idea is for cheaper construction. I read that it is one a many Ukes made for a Canadian school program. That explains why cheap is a consideration. Strings need to leave the nut at an angle on their way to the tuners. That's why pegheads are normally angled down. But, it is probably cheaper and quicker to build a peghead straight and level with the neck. So, in order to get the strings angled down, they pass them through the peghead, then back up to the tuners. Ingenious!

I think the strings through the peghead idea is for cheaper construction. I read that it is one a many Ukes made for a Canadian school program. That explains why cheap is a consideration. Strings need to leave the nut at an angle on their way to the tuners. That's why pegheads are normally angled down. But, it is probably cheaper and quicker to build a peghead straight and level with the neck. So, in order to get the strings angled down, they pass them through the peghead, then back up to the tuners. Ingenious!
This...if you want it get it, those don't come up very often.

Some years ago, when I was a vendor at the Gorge Ukulele Festival sponsored by Mya-Moe, the Langley Ukulele Ensemble with Peter Luongo, came down and entertained the participants. It was a fantastic and humbling experience. Many of the kids were playing Northern ukuleles. I borrowed largely from that design for my Youthalele project.

Last edited:
It's a ukulele designed by J. Charlmers Doane...the Guy who taught James Hill.
When I saw the maple leaf on top, that's what I thought. I think he had several simple, easy-to-build designs.

Top Bottom