Welcome . . .

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Thanks for the warm welcome. From the heart of Wisconsin, near the Mississippi River.

DavidG3

Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to learning a lot from everyone on the UU forum.

hwebster

Hi Uke community,
In February I purchased a Baritone kk Uke in Honolulu, I play classical guitar, charango and acoustic guitar. I was lucky to find this uke in a reasonable price. Joined this forum to learn more about tips on how to make the baritone kk sound better, hope to find here or someone can guide me or point me to a step protocol to setup, strings and tunings.
Look forward learning and exchanging information.
Please, contact me if you have a guidance doc or other materials regarding baritones.
Thanks for the opportunity to join and learn from this forum.

Hector,
2007-kk baritone
Adamas & 80’s Ovations
Classical and charangos.
Strings

Ms Bean

Welcome to UU, Hector.

What kind of sound are you after? Do you want it to sound different from your guitars and charango? Which genres of music do you plan to use it for?

I'm not an expert on baritones, but I'll share my opinion:

I only have a cheap one that probably could improve a bit. However, after nearly a year I've only replaced the G string as the original snapped after only a few weeks of very little play. The original strings were D'Addario EJ87B titanium. I temporarily put on a Brown Worth low G and it's still on there.

I like normal DGBE tuning, but there are many other tunings to try out. Other, more experienced baritone players will have proper suggestions and advice for you.

hwebster

Thanks for the nice welcome Ms Bean,
Latin jazz and ballads is what I am after. The baritone has a different sound, the box is smaller compared to the classical guitar and wood gives definitely a different tone. I like the sound of normal tuning DGBE and enjoy playing the uke by comparing the sound of the nylon classical. I came across that tenor uke strings have been used on baritones with the normal baritone tuning DGBE (J71 D'Addario Pro-arte -clear nylon- tenor strings) these strings appear not to be longer available by the company. I wonder if anyone on this forum have used tenor strings or any other variation of strings. Any baritone experience players have any suggestions or advice?
Hector

Uke78

Hey! Not sure if this is where I should be posting this. I am building a solid- body electric uke, and I can't find any pickups anywhere that are built for this purpose and are in my price range. any ideas?

Robby24

Hello everyone, I'm glad to welcome everyone on the forum about ukulele! I hope for a pleasant conversation!

Artur77

Hello to all ukulele lovers !!! I am learning to play Arthur on the ukulele.

AnnaHarper

Hi there! I finally signed up. I am a newbie here from Florida, I hope I can learn way more stuff on this site

Nickie

Hi AnnaHarper, and welcome to UU!
I'm in FL too, a member of the Tampa Bay Ukulele Society. Where in FL are you?
Maybe someday we'll hook up, jam a little....

GojuRyu5

Hi, I'm Jason from the UK - arriving late in life to learning anything musical, but I have been inspired by a friend's playing one evening after a few G&Ts to have a go. Currently, I'm working through Bernadette's 30 day Ukulele Challenge as a start - "Have You Seen The Rain" has just crashed my progress :). I'm looking forward to getting to know the instrument better, making a tune that sounds like one and learning how to strum a pattern and sing at the same time - how do you do THAT????

Ms Bean

Hi, I'm Jason from the UK - arriving late in life to learning anything musical, but I have been inspired by a friend's playing one evening after a few G&Ts to have a go. Currently, I'm working through Bernadette's 30 day Ukulele Challenge as a start - "Have You Seen The Rain" has just crashed my progress :). I'm looking forward to getting to know the instrument better, making a tune that sounds like one and learning how to strum a pattern and sing at the same time - how do you do THAT????

Welcome to UU, Jason!
There are many things to learn, and it doesn't matter if you start as a child or when in retirement. Some things might take more time later in life, but you'll most likely also know what you want to learn. Enjoyment and fulfilment will be important, and those two goals can be achieved even with only two chords (Jambalaya, Achy Breaky Heart, etc).
After the 30 Day Uke Challenge you can stick with Bernadette and try her 30 Day Uke Course. This will be a big step up, but some people really want to learn fingerpicking patterns. I disagree with many learners, who would agree that you need to play for a year or so before getting into fingerpicking. Delve into it immediately after you master the most important chords.

There are many other teachers on YouTube. Cynthia Lin, Vasko (from Ukulele CHeats), Ukulele Zen, Matt Dahlberg are my favourites. Listen to Hawaii Music Supply The Ukulele Review Podcast on YouTube to learn about uke history, uke builders, set-up and what not. The journey has many legs...

donluca

Hi everyone!

I'm Luca, from Italy.
I've started out as a piano player when I was a kid, began playing classical guitar at 28 and rocked out with an electric guitar at 30.
I also play ocarinas and was now looking at giving an ukulele a shot!

I fingerpick my electric guitars, I just never came to terms with picks so I'm looking forward buying an uke for strumming and fingerpicking as well and I'll be opening a new thread shortly asking for recommendations.

Finally, I love and play all music genres, from classical to metal, although my heart is in the blues and classic rock.
I'm really looking forward seeing how I'll manage to transpose and adapt songs I love to the uke! :D