What’s the secret?

Last edited:
I recommend purpose made string beads. You can find them on Amazo.

They hold perfectly and don’t go through noticable cinching down and stretching. Using them on a tie bridge and strings through top style.

No need for multiple wraps to build up a knot. On e and a strings I do one extra pass for holding (easier to see than I can explain).

Problem of knot slipping out of slot might be the knot getting tighter with use. I tested the beads by leaving a very little tail so any slip would be obvious and found zero movement.
I'm not sure what you mean by "purpose made" string beads. Do you have a link?

I think I'm going to have to resort to beads or something like that for this one ukulele. I don't have problems with other slotted bridges, (I've been in string changing mode lately, so know I can do it without any problems on other ukuleles), so there is something specific about this one.

I ordered the Diamond Secure beads this morning before heading to work, and they're already on their way to me and should be here this weekend, according to the tracking. I'm hoping that will take care of the one ukulele that I'm having problems with. I like the ukulele, but the problems with the slotted bridge on it are taking the enjoyment out of it. :( But I'm not giving up yet.

I finally got around to gathering info and taking pictures of how I use seed beads on slotted bridges. My wife had quality made-in-Japan glass beads that she bought at Hobby Lobby.

My example used a 15/0 size, as the high E string is only .016" for GDAE soprano. It also worked for high A on gCEA soprano.

The knot can be either a simple knot, or a "yin-yang" knot. The bead and knot should slide in without force, otherwise the bead or knot is too large. You don't want anything getting stuck in there.

(This method also works reliably for the #1 string on pin bridges.)

Attachments

• Knot Behind Bead.JPG
    Knot Behind Bead.JPG
    705.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Slid Into Slot.JPG
    Slid Into Slot.JPG
    716.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Yin-YanG Knot for Thin Strings.JPG
    Yin-YanG Knot for Thin Strings.JPG
    725.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Bead Closeup.JPG
    Bead Closeup.JPG