What about the Kala PWT?

Fhede

Reaction score
As may you know, I'm looking for a Tenor uke in the argentine second hand market, that is very limited.
The idea is to get a uke of a similar quality to my Ohana CK20, as the Ohana TK10 or TK20, Kala Ka-T or a similar Lanikai. But there are no offer at a good price of these.

The only Tenor I found at a good price at the moment is the Kala Pacific Walnut Tenor at USD 40.

The idea is to get this cheap Tenor for trying a Low G Tenor Uke... if I like it, I can go for a better Uke later.

What do you think about it? There are good reviews of this Kala PWT, but there are also some people complaining about the fret finishing... IMHO nothing that I (or my luthier) can't deal with.

Thanks in advance!

For $40, I'd say to go for it. It's all laminate but you can't expect solid woods for that price. Kala makes decent instruments.

For $40, I'd say to go for it. It's all laminate but you can't expect solid woods for that price. Kala makes decent instruments.
Thanks Larry, I'd like a solid top, but the Ohana TK20 or Cordoba with Solid Top are at USD 133 to 160... what I find a little too high.

See if you can find a used Kala SSTU-t. Available around 120USD... Probably one of the very few quality solid tops available at that price.

Otherwise: I'd buy that Kala you found and play it until you are ready to step up. I learned on a Kala plywood uke... They are consistent. They stay in tune. They last. Any fret issues can be dealt with using sand paper. And there are lots of used ones available for cheap, as you have discovered.

Get it, play it, and move up when you are ready and have saved up a bit... for your next ukulele!

See if you can find a used Kala SSTU-t. Available around 120USD... Probably one of the very few quality solid tops available at that price.

Otherwise: I'd buy that Kala you found and play it until you are ready to step up. I learned on a Kala plywood uke... They are consistent. They stay in tune. They last. Any fret issues can be dealt with using sand paper. And there are lots of used ones available for cheap, as you have discovered.

Get it, play it, and move up when you are ready and have saved up a bit... for your next ukulele!
Thanks, but there is no SSTU-T available, I can ask to import it brand new at USD 210!

Top Bottom