what are the most mellow south coast strings for a tenor?

iamesperambient

Still trying to find the optimal string for my tenor, im looking for a string with the most mellow sound, can anyone help me decipher the string gauges from south coast? having a bit of trouble. Looking for high G tuning strings with a more mellow sound, i hear go things but i honestly can not figure out which ones to get. thanks!

sorry mods, i accidently posted this in the reviews i meant to post in the buying tips forum sorry please move! t hanks!

Last edited:

hawaii 50

send an email to Dirk at Southcoast...he will give you all the details and answer all your questions...as I am sure the labeling will confuse you...It confused me

igorthebarbarian

Have you tried dropping the tuning down one step (two steps?) to Bb tuning? So instead of a high G, I have a high F. I have that on my tenor with regular old Worth Clear's and really like it. It sounds much more mellow/jazzy, and is easier to play on the fingers. I have read that this was the natural tuning for tenors originally.

iamesperambient

Have you tried dropping the tuning down one step (two steps?) to Bb tuning? So instead of a high G, I have a high F. I have that on my tenor with regular old Worth Clear's and really like it. It sounds much more mellow/jazzy, and is easier to play on the fingers. I have read that this was the natural tuning for tenors originally.

Call me an old traditionalist but i really wanna stick with C tuning on my tenor and G tuning on my baritone.
I just want some strings that are maybe thicker that can hold the tension with a little warmer tone for the tenor.

iamesperambient

interesting i always thought Linear C tuning was the original tenor tuning. Either way i want to stick with C6 tuning
just want strings with a little less bite to them, that aren't too stiff like the black nylons.

Jim Hanks

I would recommend the SLMU - soft light medium - or perhaps the SLU - soft light. The SLU will be a bit lower tension than SLMU. I actually have the SLMU but tuned down to Bb to reduce the tension that way. I think either would work for you, just depends if you want to try higher or lower tension to start.

Oops, I just read my own signature and realized mine are actually the SMU. So I amend my recommendation - start with the SLMU and then you can go one notch higher or lower if you don't like the SLMU tension.

Last edited:

iamesperambient

I would recommend the SLMU - soft light medium - or perhaps the SLU - soft light. The SLU will be a bit lower tension than SLMU. I actually have the SLMU but tuned down to Bb to reduce the tension that way. I think either would work for you, just depends if you want to try higher or lower tension to start.

Oops, I just read my own signature and realized mine are actually the SMU. So I amend my recommendation - start with the SLMU and then you can go one notch higher or lower if you don't like the SLMU tension.

i prefer less tension and a more mellow tone which ever will give me that sound.

Jim Hanks

I'm gonna stick with my SLMU recommendation as the happy medium. You can get lower tension with SLU or more mellow tone with SMU but it's a trade off between the two.