What are your favorite chord progressions or strumming patterns?

sendhelplease

Reaction score
I just thought it'd be cool to hear what other people's favorite chord progressions and strumming patterns are

I'll go first, my favorite strumming patterns are D tap UU tap and DD tap, not really sure what my favorite chord progression would be though

Last edited:
I am afraid I am not very creative in this regard. I mostly play a 1-4-5 or a minor 2-5-1 (and 7-3-6 which is the same thing in the relative key) or I like to play rhythm changes. Where I change things up is in the chord qualities. Instead of playing straight-up triads, I often spice things up with using extensions or added chromatic notes.

And I have never adhered to a strum pattern. To me that is emotional. I just play whatever feels right (although I probably do more upstrokes than downstrokes). And once I establish that pattern I keep it for whatever I'm playing.

I tend to favor a kind of country/bluegrass type percussive strum. As ripock mentioned I also don’t put too much importance on the pattern either though. It’s just kinda however I play it at that moment. As far as chord progressions go, I don’t really have a favorite. I usually just mess around until I find something I like, or I’ll take a chord change in a song I like and make my own tune out of it by expanding on in my style.

Might be too specific, but here goes:
Cmaj7 Em7 Dm7 G7
F F#dim E7 Am F
C G7 F C
(I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song)

Almost everyone in my ukulele group strums & a few of us fingerpick, which adds variety. The only time I strum is for rock songs like Rockin' in the USA or Back in the USSR.

Srumming - whatever fits the song; likely to change at times during the song. Interesting that ukulele have names for different strums. Back when learning the guitar, strums had no names, it was: 'play it like this'.
:LOL:

Last edited:
I like 2 bar turnarounds ( or intros) that start with the one and end on the five:

C / A7 / | Dm7 / G7 / | or C / C#dim / | Dm7 / G7 / | or C / Em7 Ebm7 | Dm7 / G7 / |

I also like to use passing chords when going from one chord to another that's two or three frets away:

C / G7 / | F / / / | becomes C / G7 F#7 | F / / / | or C / / / | A7 / / / | becomes C / B Bb | A7 / / / |

I usually do these with closed chords, but they'll work with mostly open chords as well.

I really like a I vi ii V7 progression with the vi being a fully diminished 7 chord, the I VI7 II7 V7 progression (aka "taking it around the horn"), The Andalusian Cadence (ie. Am G7 F7 E7), and also really enjoy a clever line cliche.

I just have to say that so far in this thread... y'all are my people! I'm a "strum what feels right" kind of player.

That said, I guess I default to DDU-light palm mute-UDU-possibly another palm mute. But, if I'm playing a vocal melody, I change up the strums and chord variations to try to accentuate that. (because I don't sing)

Progressions:
I-IV-V (blues)
ii-V-I (jazz)
I-VI-IV-V (doo wop)

Like Ripock, I spice things up with chord variations. 7th, 6ths, Sus2, Sus4. Sometimes even variations that aren't technically chords (at least not "common" ones) just to add some dissonance.

As an example, here's what I was doing tonight. Playing E Super Lokrian or Altered Scale or whatever you want to call it and I was playing over this set of changes: Am add9, Em11, B7#5, Em11, Am add9, B°7, Am. So I guess that would be a I-V-II-V-I-II-I and don't ask me why; I just made it up to support the tones in the E Altered and E Hirayoshi scales that I was using to melodize.

I have a weird movable chord that forms the backbone of my music. 0402 in 'Voran Tuning' (D Bb C F)

I have a weird movable chord that forms the backbone of my music. 0402 in 'Voran Tuning' (D Bb C F)
OK, I don't want to be a jerk or anything, yet this chord/shape your playing is a sus4. G sus4 on the open position.
I like sus4 chords too, along with sus2 chords. Many a famous riff is moving through the maj, sus2, sus4.
In regular uke tuning, 0230 is Gsus2, 0232 is G maj, 0233 is Gsus4.

For strumming patters:
I usually try to involve som picking rather than pure strumming. When I strum, I like to apply some feel to a classic island strum, where i put in a chunk on the 2. beat. If C means chunk/chuck whatever, it would look like this:
D-CU-UDU.
A little less creative, for jazz standards I often end up with a simple 4/4: D-D-D-D, with emphasis on the 2. and 4. beat.

For chord progressions:
I like the one that goes with the song. But I like when songs do the thing going between a chord, the chord with a major 7th, normal 7th, the back again. It is hardly a progression, but a little spice on the chord that sounds sweet.

Descending sequence of x9 chords (implied root), played, e.g. 4555-3444-2333-1222-o111 etc.

It winds up being a tritone substitution sequence: Vx9-bVx9-IVx9-bIVx9 etc. You can jump off the merry-go-round any time you want to.

OK, I don't want to be a jerk or anything, yet this chord/shape your playing is a sus4. G sus4 on the open position.
I like sus4 chords too, along with sus2 chords. Many a famous riff is moving through the maj, sus2, sus4.
In regular uke tuning, 0230 is Gsus2, 0232 is G maj, 0233 is Gsus4.
I didn't know lol. I know absolutely poo-all about music theory.

Descending sequence of x9 chords (implied root), played, e.g. 4555-3444-2333-1222-o111 etc.

It winds up being a tritone substitution sequence: Vx9-bVx9-IVx9-bIVx9 etc. You can jump off the merry-go-round any time you want to.
What are x9 chords?

I vi ii V (C Am Dm G)

D DU UDU
D DU UXU

Great reggae progression.
AKA "A Love I Can Feel Riddim"

Here are 32 reggae songs using this progression:

Don't worry, pretty much everything is labeled by theory in some way or form. After a few hundred years + only 12 notes; everything's bound to be inventoried.

I believe those are rootless 9 chords. I have never seen that particular abbreviation before but if you look at the chord shapes in the post, they are rootless 9 chords--the root is hidden two frets behind the 9th interval.
Ah thanks! I had just learned movable 9 shapes... Some of them are stretchy, so I can see why rootless is common.

I came up with a few wacky chords myself in the beginning, when I didn't know much about theory. Some I still use some such as 0031 (G7sus4 is one name for it) in standard tuning, yet others not so much, such as 0210 (C/6/9).

I recommend experimenting in standard tuning for a while and see what you get.

Top Bottom