What bass do you play?

My main bass: Spector 2000/4, defretted (so fretless, but not originally made that way) w/ EMG pickups

Own an Ibanez Gio (student model)

Sometimes play a Mexican-made Fender-P that was probably made in 2004.

Got a...

Ibanez SR700

It's beutifully crafted with really nice looking woods, the weight is nice and the neck is quite thin so well suited to people who have a smaller reach. And the sound is amazing with 2 pickups and active eq. I actually choose it over a American Fender P-bass duluxe I think was the specific model. Although the fender did have an awesome sound this thing won out overall.
sr700.jpg

This is a picture of my music area. You can't see that I have an acoustic guitar and hand drums mounted on the wall. I also have an awesome oboe, glass flute and 2 plastic recorders, but those aren't in the same area with the rest. (I really need a way to get everything together.)

Anyhow, my fretted red Ibanez is the one on the left, and the fretless dark blue Spector is on the right. Plus, you can see the headstock of my uke just behind the red bass.

47668_10150106476683885_684118884_7647498_6795879_n.jpg

Does any one have any begginer bass ideas?

Is it as easy to take up as ukulele?

Does any one have any begginer bass ideas?

Is it as easy to take up as ukulele?

Squire Jazz bass would be good, or Squire P-bass special (make sure its the special as it has a thinner neck... the same one as the Jazz bass). they are plenty good enough to get you going.

I played a really cheap Vintage bass when I was in my first band and that lasted me years and I used to use it live, but I think if you want a decent sounding starter bass the above will be good.

Its like any instrument if you find a passion in it you'll get on with it in no time... it'll be easy to pick up, but depending on how far and technically you want to take your playing it can be a life time of learning (in a good way).

Good luck =D

I'm primarily a bass player and my main bass is a 7 string from Sei Bass in London www.seibass.com

This pic was taken for the "Basses on the sofa" thread on the UK bass forum Basschat,co.uk

MD5basses.jpg

L-R:
Conklin GT7 (which has been converted to fretless),
Jackson 'Kip Winger' (my old faithful bass from the early 90's!).
AC Guitars Recurve Singlecut 9 string (built in Moffat, Scotland www.acguitars.co.uk).
Sei Offset Flamboyant 7 string (my main bass, hence my username!)
James Tyler 4 string

I get asked why 7 strings and it was a gradual move over a lot of years! I started playing 4 strings and then went to a fretless 6 which I played exclusively for a few years. From there I got the Conklin 7 off of eBay and stayed there. The 9 is a small leap from there. The 7 and 9 are all strung in 4ths which does make getting around a lot easier than it seems. The necks seem huge, but they're pretty straightforward to play.

Squire Jazz bass would be good, or Squire P-bass special (make sure its the special as it has a thinner neck... the same one as the Jazz bass). they are plenty good enough to get you going.

I played a really cheap Vintage bass when I was in my first band and that lasted me years and I used to use it live, but I think if you want a decent sounding starter bass the above will be good.

Its like any instrument if you find a passion in it you'll get on with it in no time... it'll be easy to pick up, but depending on how far and technically you want to take your playing it can be a life time of learning (in a good way).

Good luck =D

does any one know if there are decent ones for around 150?

Last edited:
I've had very good luck with basses from Rondomusic.com. They have a great return policy, if you should get one with a problem.

Lots of threads about them on Talkbass. They seem to be the flashpoint for a lot of discussion. I've had four and still have a fretless in the other room. Paid $99 for the fretless. If you want to search for them there, search for Essex--the search engine can't handle the term SX.

I sold the others, but only to fund higher end basses. They were very playable and looked good.
DSCF9860-1-1.jpg

The one I still have is the Lake Placid Blue jazz. Thinking about buying a fretted neck so I can play it either way.

does any one know if there are decent ones for around 150?

If you only have $150 to spend, I'd strongly recommend looking at used gear. Watch for something in your range to pop up on your local Craigslist. Find someone who's asking $175 and talk him down. Worry less about looks and more about playability.

-Pete

That Ibanez SR 700 is a sweet looking bass. I have a 505 that plays and sounds great but I may start looking for one of these.

That Ibanez SR 700 is a sweet looking bass. I have a 505 that plays and sounds great but I may start looking for one of these.

Yeah definately thats the great thing about Ibanez, they actually play and sound to a really high standard... I just paid a bit more to get the looks also =D though I did find it pretty cheap in a sale.

We have a Peavey bass guitar to accompany the ukes with. It was a pawn shop find, in excellent shape, had it setup by a luthier, new strings (flat wound) and it plays nice (my SO plays it). We just ordered an Ashbory in blue, same color as the Peavey.

Carvin LB20 fretless. Plug it into a Line6 amp (mostly for me) and then XLR into the PA.

Larry

My newest is a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz. I bought it used and placed a black pickguard on her.

I play a 1978 Fender Precision Fretless with one piece maple neck which I have owned since 1980.

Top Bottom