What chords do cats like?

sendhelplease

Reaction score
This might sound really stupid but I was wondering what chords cats like, I have 2 cats and they don't really like when I play ukulele, so I wanna know if there are any specific chords that cats like so that I can play ukulele for my cats without them leaving

I’ve got one cat who doesn’t care and another that is deathly afraid of even seeing the uke. Don’t think there’s a chord that will change her mind.

I think it is the pitch. I have been bitten for having the temerity to play a harmonica in the presence of a cat. But the same mordant kitty is now sitting at my feet as I play chords harmonized from the Kumoi scale: B sus4, C# m11, Em6. But I am playing in low G.

I’ve got one cat who doesn’t care and another that is deathly afraid of even seeing the uke. Don’t think there’s a chord that will change her mind.
Neither of my cats are scared of my ukulele, they just don't really seem to like it, one of them mostly doesn't seem to care and the other one tries to attack my ukulele strings lol

I had a cat that would run over and bite me whenever I played my violin just slightly out of tune or buzzy (which, let's be honest, isn't difficult to do on a violin). So maybe pay attention to the clarity of your notes and perhaps the cat would prefer a lower pitch than a higher one? Like my cat really wigged out with the higher stuff on the violin, didn't seemed bothered by the lower stuff.

I had a cat that would run over and bite me whenever I played my violin just slightly out of tune or buzzy (which, let's be honest, isn't difficult to do on a violin). So maybe pay attention to the clarity of your notes and perhaps the cat would prefer a lower pitch than a higher one? Like my cat really wigged out with the higher stuff on the violin, didn't seemed bothered by the lower stuff.
I think you might be right, I tried playing random chords to see how my cats react, one of them seems to only like specific chords like C, Am, A, A7, G, D, Dm, and Em, if I play any other chords he gets annoyed, the other one doesn't seem to care what chords I play, she will still attack the strings lol

I doubt chords or key matter.

In my experience, even feral cats enjoy stringed instruments. The only house cat we ever had was a “rescue”, an adorable grey tabby male kitten birthed, along with five others, by a stray mother under a neighbor’s porch. Tigger was generally surly and independent but would sit at my son’s feet, mesmerized, when he sawed the fiddle.

Tigger lived to the ripe and healthy old age of 13 and died in mid-air, presumably from heart failure, whilst leaping from the laundry room floor to the top lid of our washing machine. I was home from work and having breakfast with SWMBO. We each heard the thud just as we finished breakfast.

Tigger lived to the ripe and healthy old age of 13 and died in mid-air, presumably from heart failure, whilst leaping from the laundry room floor to the top lid of our washing machine. I was home from work and having breakfast with SWMBO. We each heard the thud just as we finished breakfast.
That is both so sad, and beautiful - what a great way for a cat to leave this world.

That is both so sad, and beautiful - what a great way for a cat to leave this world.
It was indeed a mixed blessing. Tigger’s demise was far better than flat out on the highway, which, as we heard, was the fate of almost all his siblings, and his mother, that we didn’t adopt.

I've said it before, but my sweet cat, Sofi will tolerate any chords, or any songs, as long as I don't sing. She also doesn't like any music where people are singing...on the tv, the internet, the stereo...if she could speak human she would say that they sound like a cat dying.

the only chords my cat really likes are the bungee ones with a knit mouse or a catnip-filled ball attached to it.

Last edited:
Our cat doesnt seem to mind my playing.

When I play in our basement music room, he will sometimes sit outside the door and kindly request that I let him in. While I would like to think it is because of the sweet music, I believe he is just courious what his hoomins are doing, and if there is something interesting behind the closed door. But hey, at least my playing doesnt scare him away!

I have one cat that doesn't care. The other one didn't care, either. But, she would sometimes get up in my lap right next to the body of the uke while I was playing. I'm not sure if she liked it, or was just taking advantage of a lap. I felt like she sort of enjoyed the vibration, sort of like a cat purring.

Top Bottom