What Guitalele should I buy?

johnnysmash

I read where some guitalele's are tenor size and some are baritone size. I have a 17 inch scale tenor ukulele. My GL-1 Yamaha Guitalele also has a 17 inch scale.. I want a guitalele with the same scale as my 20 inch scale baritone ukulele. What guitalele should I buy?

frets alot

I just recently purchased a Pono MB-6. It is a 20" scale length baritone. I had a Cordoba Mini a couple years back, but the Pono is so much better in terms of quality, playability, tone, and sustain. I also like the 1 3/4" nut width, which is what most of my acoustic guitars have. Couldn't be happier. This one will never be sold.

mpHjqDWm.jpg

Q4cw791m.jpg

lldrNwZm.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Hanks

I'm going to assume you want suggestions on the lower end of the scale. You won't find one as cheap as the GL1 but I'm going to suggest the Cordoba Mini (the original not the "II") and Islander GL6.

A cheaper alternative is the Cordoba C1M 1/4-size but it is 19" scale.

If you're considering the Pono, you should also consider the Koaloha Opio and Romero Creations TT6

Last edited:

sansoon

Top 6 Guitaleles Review 2021
Editor's Choice. Kmise Guitalele.
Best Looking Guitalele. Caramel CB402G.
Best Short-Scale Guitalele. Ortega RGL5EB.
guitalele2-1024x759.jpg
Best Guitalele for Beginners. Kremona Flight Ukulele GUT 350.
Budget Pick. Yamaha GL1, also it could be repaired later on.
Best Electric Guitalele. Vorson EGL-ST.

Last edited:

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
The Romero B6 is a good one also but around a grand brand new. 20"scale with solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides. Pepe has them in nylon and steel strung models.

v30

If you want to go very inexpensive Kmise makes a 20" guitalele for $80. This one has some good reviews on YouTube. Seems good for the price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kmise-Guit...981064?hash=item5470847248:g:viEAAOSwy5Rctsf4

I just acquired one of these. I was mucking around with it trying different strings and A and E tunings. Couldnt seem to find a sound I liked. E is too slack even with extra heavy tension strings and sounded horrible. A tuning was better than E but it just didnt sound right to me. When picked it was ok but strummed some chords sounded terrible. I was getting frustrated with it. I then tried G tuning and wow what a difference. Sounds sooo much better. If you have one of these cheapies try G tuning.

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
I had an extremely inexpensive Yamaha that seemed like an OK instrument. The tone and sustain were certainly acceptable, and the setup off the shelf was playable. I never worked with it much, but when I gave it away I felt like I was passing on a decent instrument.

Mivo

I had the Kanil'ea GL6 guitarlele a few years ago, and that was a marvelous instrument. Great sound, great playability, excellent craftsmanship, spot on intonation. I eventually sold it because six strings was at least one too many for me and I didn't think I'd play it enough to justify the cost, but the instrument was really wonderful. It sounded just like in this video (not that I can play like him).

rafter

I will second the GL6 recommendation. I think the Islander version is great. I'm sure the Kanile'a version, with all solid wood and their latest bracing is much better, although it costs anywhere from 6-10 times as much. My only real reservation about the GL6 is the neck width is pretty wide at 2". I could use slightly less width myself.

One guilele I'd really like to try, but doesn't seem to have left Asia, is Anuenue's S10. I don't know if it's ever coming to the States, but I'd be pretty interested if it did. And moreso if they made a slightly higher end all solid wood version. I think the S10 would directly compete with the Islander GL6, but it's such a drastic jump in price to the Kanile'a GL6, that I would love to see Anuenue offer an intermediate model closer to the Pono models.

Bill1

If you just want to see if you like a guitarlele enough, without a large outlay, look at the Yamaha GL1. It is a plywood instrument that has been in production a long time and is made on the island of Java in Indonesia. They still retail for a very low price. You can find videos by Dr Bekken showing how good they can sound when amplified via a microphone.

If you are sure you want one then some of the more expensive models discussed above should be considered.

Mimmo at Aquila has also just released a small six course instrument and has "invented" some modern technology strings which work on a 17" scale length to tune it from E to E, like a guitar. The new set overcomes the perennial issues with trying to tune a 17" string to the low E note on a guitar and get it to work well, as well as balancing the higher strings to match. If you are used to a guitar, this string set may suit a 17" scale length instrument that you have already or you are going to buy.

Merlin666 has made a useful point in the very next post that the OP is asking about upgrading his GL1, but the OP post dates from August 2020, unless I am not reading it correctly.

This is a resurrected thread and other UU members are starting to take an interest in six course small bodies instruments, mostly tuned A to A, so I have posted these suggestions for those members to consider. Including, considering a low cost GL1 if they are just starting out and don't know how far they will go with the idea.

Last edited:

merlin666

If you just want to see if you like a guitarlele enough, without a large outlay, look at the Yamaha GL1. It is a plywood instrument that has been in production a long time and is made on the island of Java in Indonesia. They still retail for a very low price. You can find videos by Dr Bekken showing how good they can sound when amplified via a microphone.

If you are sure you want one then some of the more expensive models discussed above should be considered.

Mimmo at Aquila has also just released a small six course instrument and has "invented" some modern technology strings which work on a 17" scale length to tune it from E to E, like a guitar. The new set overcomes the perennial issues with trying to tune a 17" string to the low E note on a guitar and get it to work well, as well as balancing the higher strings to match. If you are used to a guitar, this string set may suit a 17" scale length instrument that you have already or you are going to buy.
The OP has GL-1 and wants a bigger one. Maybe read question before answering.