what would be your dream concert uke?

No ... haven't pulled the trigger on the Pepe Romero Jr Koa Tenor. It's waiting for you to snatch it up!!! :rofl: Nice uke for sure!

LOL... Touche!!! But my MB Concert is the next baby coming home... However, a Pepe Romero Jr. ukulele would be a true joy also...

We're talking dreams so I don't have to be realistic do I? My dream concert ukulele would be a concert size Flea with either maple or myrtle back and sides, spruce top, ebony fingerboard, small abalone leaves as fret markers and a matching rosette. I wonder if I could ask a luthier to make an all wood Flea or if the shape is copyrighted. As soon as I get rich I'll look into.

Dreaming...

Nix

Well, my dream ukulele is going to be built soon. It's a koa wood by Willie Wixom. It will have a slotted headstock and probably cedar neck for lightness, Grover tuners, and ebony fingerboard with some bling for the soundhole and some pretty binding, not exactly sure yet.
My other dream uke is a spruce or cedar top with a cherry wood body... the sound is phenomenal. Maybe by LoPrinzi...

Since you asked.

attachment.php

There are a few more in my profile here. Dont want to detract from OP thread. But this is my concert of choice.

Woahh, it's a very nice uke....classical MB look uke!

A Erick Devine tenor with old growth Koa with redwood top, Brian Griffin Tenor with his extremely old koa and old growth cedar or redwood top. Radiused fretboards on both

stick on concert? ok, how about Kamaka ohta-san model / concert deluxe bell-shape... hardly found any sound in youtube, wanna listen a sample too.

There are a few more in my profile here. Dont want to detract from OP thread. But this is my concert of choice.

That's the one I'd go for myself. I like everything about it.

Think I'd keep it simple. Probably a koaloha but a custom. No real extra bling, but maybe darker fretboard and some inlays

I've owned in the past a standard concert Koaloha uke and I think it was the best concert size uke that I've played. The sound was very full and deep for a concert uke but I sold it because I've got a friend that need a uke and really like it....

But I'm wondering how a custom Koaloha is realy different in term of sound compare to their standard line.

If anyone of you have experience with standard Koaloha vs custom Koaloha, it would be great to hear you.

thanks

Mike DaSilva and Kevin Crossett both make some pretty fantastic sounding ukes too. Also consider an Earnest Instruments uke. Although, if you have the $, a DeVine uke would be great. Since Chuck isn't taking new orders right now, it might be a while before you could get a custom MB uke, but they are wonderful.

I already have my dream concert - a KoAloha longneck soprano... LOL

John

Jerry Hoffman at Boat Paddle Ukuleles is about to put the finish on my dream concert uke. See update thread for pictures. Jerry has been fantastic to work with. I wanted to keep his contemporary style clean and simple looking.

Another thought that just came to me is an arch top. Bradford makes a concert. I considered one recently but have yet to pull the trigger. If you play a jazz style or even more finger picking style it is something to consider.

Does LFDM make a concert uke? If you are so happy w/ a tenor from him, why don't you ask him to make a concert?

Does LFDM make a concert uke? If you are so happy w/ a tenor from him, why don't you ask him to make a concert?

Actually, I think Luis (LFMD) will be the person that I will work with for my concert. He's not building any concert but he's 100% down with the project from our last talk.

One thing he assured me is that he will be able to make a slotted headstock on the concert that won't unbalance the uke which is one of the problem with slotted headstock on concert most of the time.

I'm surprised that no one did mention William King!!! I think he's one of the top in the industry in my own book....

I enjoy trying out different woods as much as the next guy, but for an ultimate custom concert, I would have to go with an all koa uke. I just find that the sound of an all koa uke is the most essential for me.

A dream concert uke for me would have:
-Slotted headstock w/Gilbert tuners. (I think it's a myth that slotted headstocks unbalance a concert or smaller uke. I've got no such issues with a mezzo-soprano and concert with slot heads)
-All koa body.
-Abalone rosette & purfling.
-Ebony head plate, fretboard, and body bindings.
-Bound headstock. (wish I thought of this on one of my customs)
-Bound and radiused fretboard.
-Fretboard inlay.
-Neck joined at 14th fret, long scale (16").
-Some more inlays at headstock and tail-graft.

Basically, it would be like my Glyph mezzo-soprano with a little more trimming. I did wonder if I should have ordered the Glyph as a concert, but the one I ended up with is basically a regular concert (~14.75" scale), and I have been extremely happy with it.

Now go order the uke I've detailed above and post some pictures when it's done so I can drool uncontrollably. LOL!

BTW, I'm not sure why William King wasn't mentioned throughout this thread, but maybe because he's not really building much these days. I guess the uke I detailed above probably wouldn't be built by him because I don't think intricate inlays is his forte.

Basically, it would be like my Glyph mezzo-soprano with a little more trimming. I did wonder if I should have ordered the Glyph as a concert, but the one I ended up with is basically a regular concert (~14.75" scale), and I have been extremely happy with it.

Are you the lucky owner of the Glyph Mezzo-Soprano?? I love that ukulele and fully agree about the Gilbert tuners. My next custom order will have them on it. But not all builders will put them on. Do you have pics of the Glyph?

I enjoy trying out different woods as much as the next guy, but for an ultimate custom concert, I would have to go with an all koa uke. I just find that the sound of an all koa uke is the most essential for me.

A dream concert uke for me would have:
-Slotted headstock w/Gilbert tuners. (I think it's a myth that slotted headstocks unbalance a concert or smaller uke. I've got no such issues with a mezzo-soprano and concert with slot heads)
-All koa body.
-Abalone rosette & purfling.
-Ebony head plate, fretboard, and body bindings.
-Bound headstock. (wish I thought of this on one of my customs)
-Bound and radiused fretboard.
-Fretboard inlay.
-Neck joined at 14th fret, long scale (16").
-Some more inlays at headstock and tail-graft.

Now go order the uke I've detailed above and post some pictures when it's done so I can drool uncontrollably. LOL!

BTW, I'm not sure why William King wasn't mentioned throughout this thread, but maybe because he's not really building much these days. I guess the uke I detailed above probably wouldn't be built by him because I don't think intricate inlays is his forte.

Hey George!!! What's up man!! It's nice to see on this thread since I know you're one of those guys that just collect as many customs as I do.....I mean more than I do!!!! hahahah!!!

I saw you coming with your dream and I knew that it will be something like your mezzo sop from Glyph which I consider to be such a nice uke....but seriuosly, I don't thinkk I'll be able to wait for 3 years like you!!!! I just don't have that patience!!!! But man, sure it will be a nice concert with the same specs as you mentioned!!!

As for William King, yeah I know he's not building as much, but he's still updating his website with his new works so I guess, he's still active....maybe I should contact him before he retire for good and I won't own any King uke in my collection!!!!

Are you the lucky owner of the Glyph Mezzo-Soprano?? I love that ukulele and fully agree about the Gilbert tuners. My next custom order will have them on it. But not all builders will put them on. Do you have pics of the Glyph?

It's on his blog....and believe me, it's one of the most gorgous uke ever built in my own book....everything is amazing....and that slotted headstock is sooooo sexy on such a small uke....it's truly a masterpiece and sooo collectible because you won't see anything like this soon!

Here it is (I think I've posted this uke on UU quite a few times now, so apologies to those who have already seen too many pics of it :p):
DSC_2891.JPG

I guess here's a new one, I just took it on vacation to Hawaii last week:
273_0035.jpg

Top Bottom