What would be your signature ukulele if you had one?

I can’t say that I’d miss the higher frets much. I’m wondering if 8 frets to the body would allow the bridge to be suitably placed, but perhaps I misunderstand.
I think you understand. It would require a longer body, 11-3/4" by my calculations, instead of the typical 9-1/2" for most typical sopranos. The width could be a bit less, but not necessarilly since the added area inside the body might be beneficial for the Low G tuning, I already have it drawn on to a woodset, I'm just waiting for the energy to start.

I think you understand. It would require a longer body, 11-3/4" by my calculations, instead of the typical 9-1/2" for most typical sopranos. The width could be a bit less, but not necessarilly since the added area inside the body might be beneficial for the Low G tuning, I already have it drawn on to a woodset, I'm just waiting for the energy to start.
I made a guess. IIRC Uncle Rod Higuchi had something similar made for him by a pal, several years back. It sounds like a very interesting idea to me and I hope to hear more of it over the coming months.
This sort of thing: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...n-a-soprano-scale-concert-body-ukulele.98324/ (edit) and https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...cale-with-a-concert-body.152991/#post-2312407

Last edited:
Probably something like this in low-G tenor, all local woods (western red cedar top, arbutus fretboard & bridge, garry oak back & sides, probably Douglas fir neck, but maybe the maple) but I'd love a seed of life inspired soundhole and some inlay bling around the soundhole, cross-section pinecone inlays like this for the fret marks. And maybe a raven silhouette on the headstock... although I do like the Lone Tree headstock logo. So, basically a Lone Tree tenor, lol, with some extra fancy thrown in.

Do ukulele companies offer signature models to bad players?

My signature tenor would be an MP Mike Pereira tenor.

*1OA Front.jpg *1OA Back.jpg

2017 Englemann Spruce/Highly Figured Mahogany with Maple Inlay & Binding
Don't know why the photos are different sizes. Taken at same time with same camera. Reduced to 4" x 6".

I already have one...

A Sparrow Flying V electric tenor.

Buuut I also have two more in the works. One is an electric telecaster semi hollow tenor with whammy bar and the 2nd is an experimental steel stringed piezo baritone made with a custom material that I won't name at the moment. Which one gets finished first is anyone's guess.

Something like this maybe

@Voran if you’ve never looked through this gallery you should. Most if it isn’t super out of the ordinary but if you scroll through it you’ll see some pretty wild instruments that I bet you’d get a kick out of.

CPG- Thank you for posting the link to the Pohaku gallery! Any idea of the names of any of the beautiful songs playing in the background of the Pohaku short film of Peter Hurney building a uke? Even with my tin ear, I recognize #3 but can't recall its name. On all the rest, I'm clueless.
My signature uke: Barron River tiger myrtle/ ancient spruce soprano with side sound port, dogwood blossom pearl inlays at 3,5,7,10 and 12, and a banjo-style black headstock.

CPG- Thank you for posting the link to the Pohaku gallery! Any idea of the names of any of the beautiful songs playing in the background of the Pohaku short film of Peter Hurney building a uke? Even with my tin ear, I recognize #3 but can't recall its name. On all the rest, I'm clueless.
My signature uke: Barron River tiger myrtle/ ancient spruce soprano with side sound port, dogwood blossom pearl inlays at 3,5,7,10 and 12, and a banjo-style black headstock.
Glad you enjoy his gallery as much as I do. Sorry, I have no idea what the songs on the film are.

OMG I think I'm in love... When I moved into my flat I painted an entire wall of my living room in this style... I call it 'Pauldrian'

Mahilele 3.0 Soprano Ukulele Mondrian Art Series.

View attachment 142258
flashback to mid-80s TdFs with Greg Lemond, Bernard Hinault, Steve Bauer, etc.

If I am reading right those mahilele 3.0 flight clones have wooden fretboards and metal fret...is that true?

Ooooooooooooh. I want the Octopus, the Mad Tea Party and....aargh, I already spend too much on various ukes.
Those are a trip! I like the deco styles.
Whatever my signature uke is it's going to need a thin C shaped neck.
I'd like to try some other tone woods besides cedar and mahogany ( though I Love the tone of my cedar).
I wish I could put a soprano neck on a concert body (if I could get the sound right) or maybe a thinner fretboard (so I could play a standard E.

Those are a trip! I like the deco styles.
Whatever my signature uke is it's going to need a thin C shaped neck.
I'd like to try some other tone woods besides cedar and mahogany ( though I Love the tone of my cedar).
I wish I could put a soprano neck on a concert body (if I could get the sound right) or maybe a thinner fretboard (so I could play a standard E.
I know you're a finger picker but have you ever tried 1002 as a chord shape? Technically it is E b6 but as long as you don't pluck the C string, it is E major.

I know you're a finger picker but have you ever tried 1002 as a chord shape? Technically it is E b6 but as long as you don't pluck the C string, it is E major.
Let me try it and see how it sounds in a few songs. I'm not sure how that affects the rhythm. If it's a 4 string Travis pick ie a 4-2-3-1, it would probably sound odd to drop it to something like a what 4-2-no pick-1?

I already pretty much have my Mo' Bettah tenor I dearly cherish but the tenors I play most are my Griffins built by Brian Griffin. A gifted luthier who just turned 90. His Kasha builds are incredible.

I already pretty much have my Mo' Bettah tenor I dearly cherish but the tenors I play most are my Griffins built by Brian Griffin. A gifted luthier who just turned 90. His Kasha builds are incredible.
Brian is still going strong. Last time we spoke he said he had more than enough orders to keep him busy for a year or two. I have a concert of his that he built just before he switched to exclusively building Kashas.

Four string 23” scale tenor guitar (Collings T1, Martin 00-28T, Blueridge BR-60T) restrung as DGBE big baritone. Yeah baby!

Last edited:
Top Bottom