What's happening in your shed?

The Sitka top being glued to the quartersawn Red Oak frame of a trapezoidal tenor uke. The extra dowel hole in the heel block is the result of a brain cramp. I bet none of you do stuff like that.

tenor uke.jpg

Nice work Tony. This is going to look good when it's done. I think you will like the trapezoid touch.

A new design dream catcher uke. I even made the wooden beads myself. The feathers are a combo of feathers contributed in my garden by the local wild birds and from my mother's chicken coop. Coincidentally the customer is in the Netherlands, working in the town next to where my parents are from. Surely a ukulele that can only bring good dreams.

20200407_152635.jpg
20200407_152650.jpg

the extra dowel hole in the heel block is the result of a brain cramp. I bet none of you do stuff like that.

Well that neck will definitely be securely attached... Nice spool clamps by the way. Tip :eek:ld:: Cut down the bolts to make clamping easier. I find threading wing nuts on spool clamps to be the epitome of monotony. Or just buy shorter bolts. Life is too short to be wasted threading wing nuts.

Nice work Tony. This is going to look good when it's done. I think you will like the trapezoid touch.
Thanks David, I do think it looks a lot better after I narrowed the face from the previous square format.

Well that neck will definitely be securely attached... Nice spool clamps by the way. Tip :eek:ld:: Cut down the bolts to make clamping easier. I find threading wing nuts on spool clamps to be the epitome of monotony. Or just buy shorter bolts. Life is too short to be wasted threading wing nuts.
LOL, thanks for the tip, sequoia.

One last look at the internals of the Sitka and Red Oak tenor before closing the box. The back has a 15 foot arch both laterally and longitudinally. On to finishing the neck.

P4110007.jpgDay 11.jpg

!5' should give it plenty of resonance. Looking good. Cant wait to see the peghead style.
Thanks David. I went the easy way on the neck, and I'm using a Mainland Ukes slotted head. I just received Bill Jehle's book on the Kamaka ukes today and read through it this afternoon. I plan to soon start on a baritone scale CBU-inspired instrument, and for that one I'm going to do a Kamaka style Fiddle head neck.

I also have his book. Very informative and well researched. I have several of those old "Sam'l Davis" boxes if you need one, and want to start a little smaller.

Nowt happening in our shed, can barely get in there, its full of tools and crap.

I also have his book. Very informative and well researched. I have several of those old "Sam'l Davis" boxes if you need one, and want to start a little smaller.
Thanks. Still pondering it. I like the looks of those boxes a lot, but I've never built, or even held, anything smaller than a tenor.

My first baritone is taking shape. As a first instrument from a new plan, I'm using cheap materials, and not doing anything fancy. Except for trying out a sort of rope pattern for the rosette, using maple and cherry wedges. The rest of the wood is poplar. The neck is poplar with cherry and maple center laminations and a CF rod. Baritone_01.jpg

Wow - I can now add to this thread ! ! !

I've been allowed a small corner of our summerhouse (fancy shed) to use as a 'low impact' workshop - ha ha ha - until now I've been relegated to the garden which has slowed my progress over the winter.

Anyway - what have I been up to - making my first fingerboards - not too much of a challenge for many old hands - but having never made one before had me scratching my head a few times - but I eventually ended up with this ...

IMG_6329.jpg

Made from some Rosewood - dots cut and carved from a piece of local oak - i need some finer files to finesse the frets - but to be honest I'm pretty happy so far.

Cheers
Mike

Top Bottom