What's my next baritone method book?

Simcha

Reaction score
Just finishing Hal Leonard Baritone Ukulele book 1 (there is no 2 yet) by Lil' Rev.. What method book is recommended to continue my progress? Thanks

I know people have gone through Baritone Ukulele Aerobics. I have never personally looked at the book so I cannot comment on it; I just have heard it mentioned by baritone players.

I do not care at all for the Aerobics books, but I’ve seen that a few UUers like them. I bought one and started it, but then dropped it and never finished it. A waste of my money.

Or you could do what I do: nothing at all. With my baritone I just play it like a soprano, the only difference is the label. For example you could study a blues song in E on your baritone even though it is intended for a soprano. If you put your fingers wherever you are supposed to, you'll have an awesome song on the baritone except that it will be a song in the key of B whereas you thought you were playing in E.

Or you could do what I do: nothing at all. With my baritone I just play it like a soprano, the only difference is the label. For example you could study a blues song in E on your baritone even though it is intended for a soprano. If you put your fingers wherever you are supposed to, you'll have an awesome song on the baritone except that it will be a song in the key of B whereas you thought you were playing in E.
Yeah, that’s what I do. I just play guitar music (EADGBE) on my guitalele as if I was as in the guitar key. As long as I’m playing by myself it sounds fine.

Yeah, that’s what I do. I just play guitar music (EADGBE) on my guitalele as if I was as in the guitar key. As long as I’m playing by myself it sounds fine.
I recently obtained the sheet music for "Sails of Charon" which is an old Scorpions Tune. I found I could play it because the majority of the notes were on the 1st four strings of the guitar which is the same as the baritone uke.

I do the same thing except I don't have a soprano so I play it like my tenor and "Moon River" in C becomes "Moon River" in G.

I had this exact thought the other day when I saw a method book for baritone… how is the “method” in any way different? The only thing I can think of is linear tuning being standard, but I play tenor and soprano in linear tuning and plan to have a concert in linear tuning at some point.
Can’t say I know for sure as I haven’t read one, but any book specifically dedicated to baritone sounds to me like a bs way to make money.

I had this exact thought the other day when I saw a method book for baritone… how is the “method” in any way different? The only thing I can think of is linear tuning being standard, but I play tenor and soprano in linear tuning and plan to have a concert in linear tuning at some point.
Can’t say I know for sure as I haven’t read one, but any book specifically dedicated to baritone sounds to me like a bs way to make money.
There is one point to a baritone book. It cuts down on the transposing. If you play the baritone like a soprano and you are playing with other people, you need to know your way around the circle of fifths. For example, if others are playing a 2-5-1 in C, then you'd have to play it in F in order to match. However, if you play by yourself, then the Baritone book isn't necessary. In fact, I don't know what key I'm in most of the time because I play my baritone like a soprano and I up-tune or down-tune so that the baritone isn't even in G tuning. I tune the baritone to whatever feels good tension-wise.

I'm doing the Baritone Ukulele Aerobics by Chad Johnson. Not a total beginner book but I'm liking it a lot.

I'm still on week 6, and things are already starting to become a bit (to say the least) challenging. I like the fact that some exercises seemed impossible to do and after a short amount of time, I'm doing them flawlessly. I don't know what's coming next but if I continue till week 40, I guess my playing will definitely improve. Persistence and determination it's the secret I guess.

Just finishing Hal Leonard Baritone Ukulele book 1 (there is no 2 yet) by Lil' Rev.. What method book is recommended to continue my progress? Thanks
Have you considered "Smiths" publication? It's probably out of print, but I have a complementary copy included with my vintage Bari in Marketplace-- lolB7366305-0B11-4664-B53C-A055BD83AC9E_1_201_a.jpeg

Top Bottom